4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 5:25 PM by Dave Hogue

c0000094 error

cadym

Hi -

I am a new Fireworks user and am hoping someone on this forum will be able to help with this problem -

I am using CS4, version 10.0.0.011, on a Windows/PC machine.

I am working with a file that was originally created on a Mac using CS3.

Every time I open this file, I receive the following error: Fireworks unexpected exception: c0000094

When I click OK, the file opens, but none of the pages or layers are displayed. I close the file and re-open. I get the same error again and click OK a second time. The file will then open successfully on the second attempt - with all pages and layers.

The same file opens fine on a Mac in CS3. No error.

I would like to resolve this problem but have no idea what the issue is. Any help would be grealty appreciated!

Thanks,

Mindy

• 1. Re: c0000094 error
          Dave Hogue

Mindy,

I'm not sure what that error code means, but it looks you have not yet installed the Fireworks CS4 updater that was released in May.

http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html

It fixes the text bugs and some stability issues, so try installing the updater, then try opening the file and see if it works.

Dave

• 2. Re: c0000094 error
            Dave Hogue Level 2

Mindy,

I'm not sure what that error code means, but it looks you have not yet installed the Fireworks CS4 updater that was released in May.

http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html

It fixes the text bugs and some stability issues, so try installing the updater, then try opening the file and see if it works.

Dave

• 3. Re: c0000094 error
              cadym Level 1

Thanks, Dave - I have already installed the update. Unfortunately that did not work. I re-created the file and re-set all my fonts to the original windows OS fonts. That appears to have corrected the c0000094 error. Now I am getting a new error, which I'm sure other people have experienced.

The error is: Could not complete your request. An error occurred. (Note: this is not the internal error occurred message).

I get this error when I attempt to select a new page. The page content fails to load, the error displays and then I am unable to save the file. It happens randomly and does not appear to have any logic to when it displays. It can happen have one edit or many edits within the document. The same error has displays once, when I attempted to resize a vector shape.

I am responsible for process improvement for my company, part of which is converting some deliverables to Fireworks. It's very unfortunate that this version is so subpar. From what I gather CS3 is far more stable. However, my company is only buying licenses for the Creative Suite 4.

Does anyone have any idea when the next version of Fireworks will be released?

• 4. Re: c0000094 error
                Dave Hogue Level 2

I'm not sure what's happening with your installation of Fireworks. The frequency of errors you are experiencing is much higher than normal.

I've been noticing over the years that some people have many more errors and crashes than others, and that often the types of errors are similar but may occur under slightly different conditions. I know how frustrating errors and crashes are, but I think that sometimes the problems are actually originating outside of Fireworks, and that makes it very difficult to track them down. For example,

- on Windows Vista, Fireworks sometimes need to write new files to the program installation folder (e.g., when installing a new extension), but the extension manager needs to be run with "Admin Privileges" to do that - some companies don't give their employees admin privileges, so they get errors and failures that lead to frsutration

- sometimes other programs running on a computer interfere with Fireworks; for example, RocketDock for Windows uses a keyboard shortcut to toggle visibility on/off, but that shortcut is exactly the same as "View Rulers" in Fireworks, so pressing the shortcut keys gets intercepted by RocketDock and appears to fail in Fireworks

- running lots of memory intensive applications at the same time makes everything run more slowly, and sometimes Fireworks will give you an error message about memory and/or internal errors because the computer does not swap out the cache on the hard drive fast enough and Fireworks thinks things have gone wrong...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes a pattern of errors that is really hard to figure out might sometimes be caused by or connected to other programs, configurations, or hardware on the computer. (And sometimes there are just cosmic rays that screw up the installation and nothing works until the program is re-installed, then it magically works correctly!)

There are some stability issues in CS4, and happily the most serious ones were fixed with the Fireworks updater.  Adobe has not released an official date for CS5 yet, but some people are guessing late Spring or early Summer.

Dave