4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 11:48 AM by the_wine_snob

MP4 troubles

Broodheer Level 1

I hope someone can help me. I'm a new Premiere Elements 7 user ánd a beginning video editor (that spells trouble). I happily started work on a vacation video, learning while doing and everything went perfect, combining video, stills and audio into a stellar presentation (so my daughters told me).

When I reached 15-17 minutes on my timeline I began getting the out-of-memory messages. The program crashed often and opening my project again took ages. I looked around on the net, saw that my system was adequate (2,66 dualcore 4gb ram). I moved my pagefile to my second harddrive, enlarged it, got slightly better performance but still frequent crashes. Then I found the article about the stills being too large. Finally, the answer! I resized all my photo's, replaced them in the timeline and indeed progressed to about 20 minutes. Then...slowdown...crash....restart...shout at wife....yell at kids.

Then I found the article on mp4-files. Yessss, that should be it. The films I shot were made by a Sony T900, 1280x720 30 fps .mp4 files (no avchd). I found remarks that premiere doesn't work with .mp4 (well maybe it doesn't work so well, but I can open, edit and render these files). Anyway, the solution was to convert those mp4's to dv as some users did (to their satisfaction). Again, this must be the solution.....kiss the wife, give presents to the kids.

I downloaded Super and started converting. Now my original files are 1280x720 nice sharp video's when I play them on my computer. Converting them in Super gave me blocky ugly results. When I use 'container' 'avi' and compressor 'dv' I only get to choose the 5:4 aspect ratio...not good. When choose say mp2 convert it using 16:9 and 1280x720, bitrate 9600 I got a nice avi, opens up and plays excellent in vlc but stays black in elements (sees it as audio-file).

Now, I have hundreds of options to choose in Super and I can't try them all. So harsher measures were in order, I pulled out the wallet and bought Quick Time Pro, according to this forum the best converter. I opened a mp4 (played and looked crisp and clear) and chose 'export'. First I tried 'movie to dv'. I tried different combinations but the result was a small and block video ànd 3x the size of my original file. I then tried 'movie to avi' with different compressors. The Cinepak result is again blocky and ugly. The pal compressors give a nice looking video but in a 4:3 format (yes, even if you choose 16:9 output...interesting) and the only good result I got was the 'no compressor' option. I got a nice video but my 2 mb file was suddenly a 200 mb file.

So, concluding and in the mean time progressing to slapping the wife and hitting the kids, I ask for your help:

If using 1280x720, 30 fps .mp4-files ànd Quick Time pro, what settings should I use to get videofiles that Premiere Elements 7 can easily work with?

(And what are the correspondent project settings?)

OR

If using 1280x720, 30 fps .mp4-files ànd the Super converter, what settings should I use to get videofiles that Premiere Elements 7 can easily work with?

(And what are the correspondent project settings?)

...and while we're at it, what are the best audio settings?

I hope you can help me.

Adam,

P.S.: I used the gspot-thingy on my mp4 flie and it says: codec mp4v codec status undetermined

container: mpeg4 for Sony psp, mp4v2

audio codec  mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 24000Hz  128 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

• 1. Re: MP4 troubles
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Let's go back to the Out of Memory/Low on Resources issue first. This ARTICLE might give you some tips on getting your computer set up for NLE (Non Linear Editor) work. Even with my workstation and SD material, I always do the EndItAll2 closure of all unnecessary running/loaded Processes.

Now, if this will address your problems, you can then edit natively. I assume that you will be going to BD for your delivery. Is that correct, or do you want to downsample to DVD-Video?

If the latter, then I would suggest that you do use the QT-Pro and choose Export: Movie to AVI. The settings to use will be:

Video:

Compression: DV/DVCPRO-NTSC (if you're in NTSC-land), or PAL

Quality: Best

Scan Mode: Interlaced if going to DVD-Video

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Sound:

Format: Uncompressed

Sample Rate: 48KHz

Sample Size: 16-bit

Channels: 2

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS The Cinepak by Radius is a very old CODEC and has been replaced by many more. The Uncompressed will definitely yield monster files, and one is very likely to not see any difference between it, and DV-AVI.

• 2. Re: MP4 troubles
            Broodheer Level 1

First of all thanks for your speedy answer. This seems to be one of those computer problems where one solution leads to another problem. First I followed your advice on the Quick Time export. I got small, low resolution videos, which puzzled me. Then I discovered that the same videos viewed in VLC were very good (...........? what's the difference between QT & VLC here?). The only thing was that I had to manually switch to 16:9 when viewing, but that's a minor problem. Then I opened them in PE7 and they just didn't work. Sound was ok, but only colored snow as video.

Then I went for a practical solution. I divided my project into smaller projects (in which I succeeded after 6 crashes). I exported one small video, with succes after 2 crashes to an avi file. The file played ok on my computer. I burned it to a dvd, played on my Blu-Ray player (which can play avi, divx etc) and got a blank screen and a codec error.

Right now I'm trying to finish my movie in small projects of say 7-8 minutes. I have a media center in the living so I can play everything there.

Do you have any suggestions in how to export my projects files so I can burn them on a dvd? It may be an official dvd with menu and all or just a collection of avi's, normally I can play them both.

Greetings,

Adam

• 3. Re: MP4 troubles
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

This ARTICLE might help you get your HD material to a BD-compatible DVD-Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: MP4 troubles
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I discovered that the same videos viewed in VLC were very good (...........? what's the difference between QT & VLC here?). The only thing was that I had to manually switch to 16:9 when viewing, but that's a minor problem.

First, VLC Player has many CODEC's built in, while many other players need them installed on the system. Also, most players will need to be set for the viewing, i.e. 4:3 vs 16:9. The method will differ from player to player. Some will see the pulldown and set themselves to the footage, but many will not, until you do so manually.

Good luck,

Hunt