2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 9:55 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

CS3 Crashes, Freezes, Shuts Down due to memory?

CCI-IT

Hi,

I am an IT for a company in L.A. and recently I been having this problem with an employee and her CS3 Illustrator keeps crashing. I asked her to make a log for me to see what I could do. After searching the internet I have no idea what to do now. Here is her log:

9:30 Illustrator Shutdown, Lost unsaved work

9:49 Illustrator Shutdown, Lost unsaved work

10:15 Illustrator Shutdown, Lost unsaved work

10:30  "Cant finish previewing could not complete the request move"

Tried to move selected object, object turned black and white had to shut down document re-open and lost unsaved work

* tried to save document, "operation coudl not complete, there is not enough memory(RAM) available"

10:45 "Cant move the object there isnt enough memory"

11:37 "Cant Move Objects. There isn't enough memory ID=108"

documents froze had to shut down document and re-open, lost unsaved work

11:40 "Cant finish previewing could not complete the request move"

Tried to move selected object, object turned black and white had to shut down document re-open and lost unsaved work

11:46 "Illustrator encounted a problem and needs to shut down"

Illustrator shut down had to re start Illustrator lost unsaved work

11:56 "Cant Move Objects. There isn't enough memory ID=108"

Document turned black and white had to shut down and re-open, lost unsaved work

11:59 "Illustrator encounted a problem and needs to shut down"

12:15 Computer is running very slow

12:19 "Cant finish previewing. There isn't enough memory"

Document turned black and white had to shut down document, lost unsaved work

Her computer is a:

Pro XP

Service Pack 3

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz

3.50 GB or RAM since thats what 32 bit maxes out at

I have erased the "AIPrefs" over and over for all of her CS3 Applications which include Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I have given up and I would take any advice. If you can think of anything please help me at this point

I forgot to mention this only occurs when working with big files, her big files consit of 20,000KB to 79,000KB. Take note that she tested the same files in another computer and the problem did not occur in it. And its specs were 2GB of RAM and roughly the same eveywhere else.

• 1. Re: CS3 Crashes, Freezes, Shuts Down due to memory?
          [scott] Level 6

Could be a bad RAM stick.

• 2. Re: CS3 Crashes, Freezes, Shuts Down due to memory?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

it is the Adobe CS 3 Settings folder in which the ai preferences should resides that gets trashed the whole folder not just the preferences, the folder itself can get corrupt.

Also check how much room she has her scratch disk and if possible select another disk as the scratch preferably one with a free partition of say 60 GB of free space. if she is working on several large files you have to keep in mind Illustrator has unlimited undos so the scratch can get overwhelming.

Also make certain if there really is enough room on the scratch that the ownership and permissions have not become screwy and she now has read write for the administrator and read only for herself, staff and everyone when she wants it to read write in all cases. If that is so for either the location she is saving to and or the scratch that will cause such and error.

There are other reasons if she has version cue turned on for instance that could cause an error if it is being used wrong.

It could be some funky or corrupt font(s) and font cache files, they will have be tossed in conjunction with tossing the settings folder.

These are issues I know that can cause this problem there may be others, like an in compatible plug in.