5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 4:17 AM by Newsgroup_User

rollover, hotspot, swap image????

lpaquinhand
      One of my links in my employoee website has a number of pictures. They are each on their own layer but they overlap eachother so only one image should show at a time. I have a selection to the left of the image where the person can click on a department and a different picture will show up for that department. I first have to create that in Fireworks and I'm not sure how. I have each department selection (text) on it's own layer in photoshop and each picture on it's on layer. Can you explain to me what I need to do for this? Is it called "swap image" or rollover or hotspot?

Then after I do that, I want people to be able to drag their mouse curser over people's faces and that person's info. will appear at the bottom. I also created every person's info. as a layer in photoshop. Can someone explain how to do this?
        • 1. Re: rollover, hotspot, swap image????
          Level 7
          Make your images in FW, and build your HTML in DW. What you are looking for
          is either an Image Swap, or a Show/Hide layer, depending on how you have
          made the layout.

> Then after I do that, I want people to be able to drag their mouse curser
          > over
          > people's faces and that person's info. will appear at the bottom.

That would be a hotspot (image map) on the image. Again, you would want to
          do that in DW, not FW.

> I also created every person's info. as a layer in photoshop.

A Photoshop/Fireworks "layer" has nothing to do with an HTML 'layer'. Don't
          let that confuse you. Export your images from FW and build the page in DW.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"lpaquinhand" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6kqd3$6po$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > One of my links in my employoee website has a number of pictures. They
          > are
          > each on their own layer but they overlap eachother so only one image
          > should
          > show at a time. I have a selection to the left of the image where the
          > person
          > can click on a department and a different picture will show up for that
          > department. I first have to create that in Fireworks and I'm not sure
          > how. I
          > have each department selection (text) on it's own layer in photoshop and
          > each
          > picture on it's on layer. Can you explain to me what I need to do for
          > this?
          > Is it called "swap image" or rollover or hotspot?
          >
          > Then after I do that, I want people to be able to drag their mouse curser
          > over
          > people's faces and that person's info. will appear at the bottom. I also
          > created every person's info. as a layer in photoshop. Can someone explain
          > how
          > to do this?
          >

• 2. Re: rollover, hotspot, swap image????
            lpaquinhand Level 1
            I've been doing searches on the internet and have also been told by several people to do this in Fireworks.
            I figured out the first part of my questions with changing the picture when they click on the department on the left. I figured I could use the same concept to the other part where I want people to rollover an image in the picture (face) and have that person's info. come up. So, I created a slice over a face and then created a frame that showed that persons info. then I added a behavior of "swap image" to that slice and pointed it to that frame. It's not working for some reason and I have no idea why. It's the same concept. Does anyone have any clues for me? I would really like to finish this in Fireworks for now. thanks.
            • 3. Re: rollover, hotspot, swap image????
              Level 7
              > I've been doing searches on the internet and have also been told by
              > several
              > people to do this in Fireworks.

I guarantee you, they are wrong.

> I would really like to finish
              > this in Fireworks for now. thanks.

You are using a screwdriver to set a nail.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:g6l8qt$ma4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I've been doing searches on the internet and have also been told by
              > several
              > people to do this in Fireworks.
              > I figured out the first part of my questions with changing the picture
              > when
              > they click on the department on the left. I figured I could use the same
              > concept to the other part where I want people to rollover an image in the
              > picture (face) and have that person's info. come up. So, I created a
              > slice
              > over a face and then created a frame that showed that persons info. then
              > I
              > added a behavior of "swap image" to that slice and pointed it to that
              > frame.
              > It's not working for some reason and I have no idea why. It's the same
              > concept. Does anyone have any clues for me? I would really like to
              > finish
              > this in Fireworks for now. thanks.
              >

• 4. Re: rollover, hotspot, swap image????
                lpaquinhand Level 1
                OK. Sorry If I seemed to disagree with you. I have redone this website over 4 times because I am told something different every single time. First Dreamweaver was the best place to do this, then it was Photoshop and then it was Fireworks and now it is back to Dreamweaver. I know everyone has their favorite way of doing things but I am so confused at this point. I have a deadline of 2 weeks for this website and I am currently in Fireworks. Are you saying just do my slices in Fireworks and then use Dreamweaver to finish? IF so, could you please explain to me how to do the hotspots over the people's faces so that when the mouse is over a title bar appears at the bottom of the screen that has their name and title and then when the mouse is out it disappears? I set up the file in Photoshop to have everything on it's own file so I already have the 50 layers of people's names and titles to appear under the photos and 13 different photos. Is there any way for you to walk me through this at this point in Dreamweaver? I would really appreciate it.
                Thanks.
                • 5. Re: rollover, hotspot, swap image????
                  Level 7
                  > Are you
                  > saying just do my slices in Fireworks and then use Dreamweaver to finish?

That's what I'm saying, yes.

> could you please explain to me how to do the hotspots over the people's
                  > faces so that when the mouse is over a title bar appears at the bottom of
                  > the
                  > screen that has their name and title and then when the mouse is out it
                  > disappears?

This will be advanced for you. It's simple enough to add a hotspot to an
                  image in DW -

select the image, click on the Polygonal hotspot tool on the Property
                  inspector, and draw your hotspot.

What will be trickier for you is the part about the popup. One simple thing
                  to try would be to assign a title attribute to the hotspot, e.g.,

<area title="my name, my title"....

Having done this, as you mouseover that particular hotspot, you will get a
                  'tooltip' display of the contents of the title attribute. There are three
                  downsides to this method -

1. The tooltip only displays for a short time
                  2. The tooltip only displays a certain number of characters (I think 100)
                  in some browsers (FF)
                  3. You have no flexibility in styling the tooltip or its contents

Notwithstanding these, it's simple enough to do, although you will either
                  have to add the necessary code (the title attribute and its value) manually
                  to the <area> tag, or you will need to use DW's Tag Inspector to get at the
                  title attribute.

> I set up the file in Photoshop to have everything on it's own file
                  > so I already have the 50 layers of people's names and titles to appear
                  > under
                  > the photos and 13 different photos.

The way you set it up in Photoshop would have no bearing on how you would do
                  this on an HTML page.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:g6lsdu$col$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > OK. Sorry If I seemed to disagree with you. I have redone this website
                  > over 4
                  > times because I am told something different every single time. First
                  > Dreamweaver was the best place to do this, then it was Photoshop and then
                  > it
                  > was Fireworks and now it is back to Dreamweaver. I know everyone has
                  > their
                  > favorite way of doing things but I am so confused at this point. I have a
                  > deadline of 2 weeks for this website and I am currently in Fireworks. Are
                  > you
                  > saying just do my slices in Fireworks and then use Dreamweaver to finish?
                  > IF
                  > so, could you please explain to me how to do the hotspots over the
                  > people's
                  > faces so that when the mouse is over a title bar appears at the bottom of
                  > the
                  > screen that has their name and title and then when the mouse is out it
                  > disappears? I set up the file in Photoshop to have everything on it's own
                  > file
                  > so I already have the 50 layers of people's names and titles to appear
                  > under
                  > the photos and 13 different photos. Is there any way for you to walk me
                  > through this at this point in Dreamweaver? I would really appreciate it.
                  > Thanks.
                  >