6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 7:46 AM by the_wine_snob

CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes

sydweinstein

Am I the only person still having continual problems with importerprocessserver crashing.  (Running Vista 64 bit, 12GB RAM, 2xQuad Core).  To get it to crash all I have to do is add one more item to the timeline, it seems.  Then whenver I start Premiere and open the project, it crashes.

This time I got it back by deleting all of my cfa/pek and preview files (Now I have to re-render the entire time line).

I've seen other patches to Premiere come out, why not one for this programs instability?

And of course, since its a background process, its next to impossible to guess what is setting it off.

(My project is a bunch of .AVI's brought in firewire from DVcam and some MOV's in DV format.  Its not that many sources (6 files plus some 'extracted and rendered' audio segments from Soundbooth).

Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

• 1. Re: CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a recent ARTICLE on similar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's another ARTICLE with more replies.

Hunt

• 3. Re: CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is an ARTICLE from the Adobe forum.

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I also found several references to Matrox cards. Does a Matrox card figure into your system?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes
                  sydweinstein Level 1

Thank you for doing a better search of the forum history than I was capible of (serious, not mocking), it did help me understand a few things I didn't know.

1. I would never turn of DEP protection.  DEP protects against lots of bugs, and that Intel didn't mandate it internally in the chip originally is a mistake.  Adobe needs to fix their libraries such that DEP's don't happen.

2. Alas, all of my files, while wrapped in .mov and .avi are all DV format, none of them are MPEG and all of them have pcm sound, so that was not it.

3. What I did do, was delete all of my cache and preview files, and then restarted it.  (it wasn't a clip, it was a corrupt preview file).

Re-rendering the entire time line removed the problem for now.

However, I still state, the process is buggy, and needs to be fixed.  (PS where do you find the crash dump info about the process?).

Adobe needs to address the issues with this process.  Its one thing to declare a file can't be imported, its corrupt.  Its totally another to crash.

• 6. Re: CS4 ImporterProcessServer Crashes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Thank you for doing a better search of the forum history than I was capible of (serious, not mocking), it did help me understand a few things I didn't know.

No problem, and glad that I could at least get you some articles that might help you. I just knew who some of the "players" were, so it was easier for me.

3. What I did do, was delete all of my cache and preview files, and then restarted it.  (it wasn't a clip, it was a corrupt preview file).

Re-rendering the entire time line removed the problem for now..

Glad that things are a bit better now. Hope that this fixes things, at least for this Project.

Adobe needs to address the issues with this process.  Its one thing to declare a file can't be imported, its corrupt.  Its totally another to crash.

Here is the Bug Report, to alert Adobe.

Good luck,

Hunt