12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 11:42 AM by Scott Falkner

Creator Codes for eps files

Omar Khatib

We are having trouble with Illustrator .eps files from Illustrator CS4 opening in Photoshop when opening from the finder. Is anyone else having this issue?

Adobe Creative Suite CS4

MacOS 10.4.12

• 1. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Why don't you just save it as an .ai file and open that in Photoshop but to your question no not with 10.6

• 2. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
            Tom Usrey Level 3

Wade, Omar said he was on 10.4.12. And he wants the EPS files to open in Illustrator.

Omar, click on one of the EPS files, then go to the File menu and select Get Info. In the next window, go to Open with and select your version of Illustrator, and then click the button that says "Change all".

• 3. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
              [scott] Level 6

MacOS 10.4.12

No such thing though.

But Tom's correct... just change the association in the Get Info window.

• 4. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                Omar Khatib Level 1

Mac OS10.4.11 Sorry!

I am not sure "Creator Code" is the correct term.

If you change all in the et info window all eps files will Open in Illustrator or all eps files will open in Photoshop. I want the Vector eps files to open in Illustrator and the Bitmap eps files to open in Photoshop.

It works on my G5 at home running 10.5.8.

• 5. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                  JETalmage Level 6

There is no such thing as a "vector EPS" vs. a "raster EPS" per se. EPS is a meta format; it's a code "wrapper" that can contain vector objects, raster objects, text objects or any combination of those.

JET

• 6. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                    Omar Khatib Level 1

I understand that an eps is an eps, vector, bitmap or a combination of the two. I want/need the eps files created in Illustrator to open in Illustrator and the eps files created in Photoshop to open in Photoshop.

• 7. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I believe you are correct that a Photoshop Eps use to open in Photoshop and an Illustrator Eps opened in Illustrator but I think that was a while back.

I may even be wrong about this.

Any way there may be a hack or simply drag it to the icon or alias icon say on your desktop of the application you want to open the file. Not much more difficult than clicking on it.

• 8. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                        Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Didn't Tom's suggestion work for you?

To my knowledge, Mac OS X still honors Classic type/creator codes and, therefore, is not dependent on the filename extension for association with applications. Illustrator and Photoshop EPS creator codes are different, and they are independently assignable.

I just tested this on a system running OS 10.4.11. Saved out EPSs from both Photoshop (v8) and Illustrator (v12). The EPS files open in their respective creator applications even though they both have .eps extensions.

I want/need the eps files created in Illustrator to open in Illustrator and the eps files created in Photoshop to open in Photoshop.

Then that's what you needed to say. James was pointing out the nonsensical nature of your previous statement, "I want the Vector eps files to open in Illustrator and the Bitmap eps files to open in Photoshop." Since Photoshop EPS files can contain vector elements (e.g., clipping paths) and Ilustrator EPS files can contain raster elements, your earlier wish is essentially unattainable.

• 9. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                          miraclemat

I too am having this problem. I installed Snow Leopard recently. With ALL the problems it brought (and a few it fixed), I want to blame OS X 10.6 and not Adobe. Before now, if I doubled-clicked an Illustrator EPS, it opened in Illustrator and a PhotoShop EPS opened in PhotoShop. One day, the PS EPS files started opening in Illustrator, so, of course, I did the 'get info/change all'' thing. Now EVERYTHING opens in whichever progam I last chose. Depending on the type of work I'm doing, I just switch over.

Nobody has really fixed this problem. Somebody mentioned 'creator codes'. Remember RESEDIT? How do we delineate between two different types of EPS files now?

• 10. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                            I installed Snow Leopard recently.

Did you UFS-format your primary drive by any chance?

Unless you use HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) or HSFJ (Mac OS Extended Journaled), you cannot make file associations by type/creator information.

• 11. Re: Creator Codes for eps files
                              Scott Falkner Level 5

Snow Leopard has completely done away with creator codes or meta data identifying a file’s creator. John Gruber ranted nicely about it here.

• 12. Re: Creator Codes for eps files

That finally clears that up. Thanks, Scott.