15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 6:43 PM by the_wine_snob

License Issues

mikerana Level 1

Here's my problem.

I was running Premiere Pro CS4 for quite some time on my desktop.  I recently had some computer issues and had to uninstall/reinstall Premiere.  Before I uninstalled it, I deactivated the license number.  After installation, I attempted to reinstall Premiere and after installation completed, I keep getting "Licensing for this product has expired".

I've even tried rebooting after installations and uninstallations.

I tried to contact customer support and after being on hold with them for 10 minutes, I gave up and was hoping someone in here might be of some help.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: License Issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try this: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

If that does not work,

1. Deactivate

2. Uninstall

3. Run the Clean Script program 2 or 3 times (look here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406241.html)

4. Install

5. Activate

6. Update

• 2. Re: License Issues
            mikerana Level 1

I did all those steps and it asked me to register and I said "Register Later", but the same error came up.

I'm trying Technical Support now.  I'll let you know how that goes.

• 3. Re: License Issues
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Why register later? Why not now?

• 4. Re: License Issues
                mikerana Level 1

I don't like registering products.  Usually my information winds up on somebody's marketing list and I don't want to receive emails/calls/mail that I would consider spam.

I just got off the phone with tech support.  First call was Tech Support in India, then they routed me to Customer Service in Southeast Asia; both had horrible English.

They gave me a new serial number, so I'm now uninstalling Premiere and reinstalling it with the new key; we'll see how that works.

• 5. Re: License Issues
                  mikerana Level 1

That didn't work.  Still the same error.

At the conclusion of support calls, they give you a case number and once signed in, you're apparently able to repoen a ticket and add comments.  Not sure how long the response time on it is, but maybe that will help.

• 6. Re: License Issues
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Then try a complete reformat and reinstallation of OS & programs.

• 7. Re: License Issues
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Back in post #1 Harm mentioned Adobe Clean Script (point 3). Did you do that? It is very important.

Good luck, and I hope that the new S/N that TS gave you will do the trick.

Hunt

• 8. Re: License Issues
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I don't like registering products.  Usually my information winds up on somebody's marketing list and I don't want to receive emails/calls/mail that I would consider spam.

In over 20 years of using Adobe products, I have yet to have any info get outside their walls. With Adobe, this is not an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: License Issues
                          mikerana Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Back in post #1 Harm mentioned Adobe Clean Script (point 3). Did you do that? It is very important.

Good luck, and I hope that the new S/N that TS gave you will do the trick.

Hunt

I tried that three times with no success.  The new serial number did not work, still the same error.  I'm going through the Support Portal like the second tech said to do and I am being naive thinking that they will respond quickly.  I'll try calling them again.

(An hour later)

After no answer from Customer Support, I consider switching to Final Cut for video editing (insert sarcastic laughter here).

• 10. Re: License Issues
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I tried that three times with no success.

This in reference to Adobe Cleanscript.

Mike,

When you say "no success," I assume that you mean that you did run it, there were no errors or warnings, and that doing so just did not make any difference. Is that correct?

The new serial number did not work, still the same error.

Now that is a real bummer. I hoped that Adobe CS had taken care of things, and that all would be great. Sorry that it was not.

After no answer from Customer Support, I consider switching to Final Cut for video editing (insert sarcastic laughter here).

Considering your tribulations, I cannot think of any thing that might change your mind on that decision.

Good luck with how ever you handle it,

Hunt

• 11. Re: License Issues
                              mikerana Level 1

In order:

Running CleanScript didn't help my cause, I'm still having problems.  I appreciate the advice and answer from Harm.

After an hour on the phone with tech support/customer support (earlier in the day when I posted), needless to say, I was aggravated.

I do realize that thousands of people call into Adobe's Tech/Customer Support on a daily basis.  I'm not really upset at the wait time, rather at the quality of support that I'm getting.  Me saying more would be a rant, and this isn't the place for that.

I was also doing some job searching in new England and I was checking out forums for prospective video editors and apparently I am not the only person who has switched from APP to FCP.

Wine and Harm, I deeply appreciate your help.  I can't say that I'll abandon Adobe products just because this experience has been bad.  I may take Harm's advice and format/reinstall.  Although FCP is industry standard... MANY movies/films/projects are made using Adobe products.

Depending when I do and how I do it, I might return to this post and let you both know how it went.

• 12. Re: License Issues
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

In the past couple of months (maybe caused by the financial crisis) there have been a number of complaints about the service level given by Adobe. I am one of the malcontents. Often it has proven more fruitful to post here and ask for assistance than going to TS. I agree that should not be the case, but it is, unfortunately, a fact of life.

I'm sorry we could not help you resolve this in a timely fashion, but my feeling is that if you followed my earlier instructions to the letter and running Clean Script did not help, your only solution is to try a complete reformat and reinstallation of OS and programs. Sorry, but I see no other solution.

• 13. Re: License Issues
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I'm not really upset at the wait time, rather at the quality of support that I'm getting.

We hear you. You are not alone. On the Forum Comments forum, there was recently an open letter from Adobe management acknowledging that there ARE problems and a pledge to do something about it.

Last time that I needed Adobe CS/TS was decades ago. There were great. I would have placed them in the all-time #2 position, behind the old WordPerfect, when they were independent and in Orem, UT. However, things have obviously changed, and not for the better.

Me saying more would be a rant, and this isn't the place for that.

We are all glad that you see that, regardless of your legit frustration, as none of us works for Adobe - we're just users here. However, we do see and read the rants. The frustration is real. Thanks for holding it in, as it's appreciated.

Although FCP is industry standard... MANY movies/films/projects are made using Adobe products.

This is something that Adobe has been fighting for a long time. Their improvement in CS/TS would be a big step in the right direction. On the sales "hand," Adobe keeps trying to address the spot held by FCP. On the TS "hand," I'm not sure that they get it - yet. Maybe that open letter is a hint that they are getting it.

If you can solve the issue, please do report to this thread. That might well help someone else down the line. Even if you do bolt for FCP, and who could blame you, you could assist someone else.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: License Issues
                                    mikerana Level 1

If they could open some call-centers here in the states, and redirect calls coming from US phone numbers to those call centers, they might have some luck.  I'm aware that it would cost big bucks, but I know that I'm more drawn to do business with companies that don't outsource their support, even if I have to pay extra.

I don't know how to quote somebody's reply, but on the comment of using the forums instead of calling CS and TS - I like the idea.  I just try and work through the problem before I start posting on forums.  I posted once about using AME to do some encoding and it turned out I was just being impatient.  Posting based on impatience and "not thinking through the problem" makes people not take someone as serious.

Depending on how I go about solving this problem, I will definitely post my results.

• 15. Re: License Issues
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      If they could open some call-centers here in the states, and redirect calls coming from US phone numbers to those call centers, they might have some luck.  I'm aware that it would cost big bucks, but I know that I'm more drawn to do business with companies that don't outsource their support, even if I have to pay extra.

I feel similarly, but have to admit that I have another agenda. My location, Arizona, USA, was known, not that long ago, as a "call-center" capitol. Still, there are real pluses for doing similar, and language is definitely one of them. Here is hoping that Adobe can once again climb to the top of the TS/CS heap.

Again, good luck,

Hunt