8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 11:20 AM by John Currie

Unable to export project.

arch_angel89

I've exhausted all resources and ideas so maybe someone here can help me. I'm using Premiere Pro CS4 and I'm trying to make a video of my holiday using footage from my Panasonic camera. I takes HD videos in AVCHD. I'm also using footage from other point and shoot cameras, so they are in avi or quicktime file formats.

My problem is that every time I try to export my project, it either just says loading project and doesn't move or it goes encoding but the status doesn't change. I've tried a new project just to see if its to do with AME and it works fine but with my current project it wouldn't work. I could start a new project but I've spent a lot of time so far already and don't want to begin for the start again.

The first image happens when I try to export my whole project, 15minutes. I have tried leaving it for a good 30 minutes and the status hasn't changed. The second image is when I try to export the first 3 or so minutes. At the beginning I was able to export a trailer for my video, the first 2 minutes when I had about 3 minutes of footage in my timeline. But now I am unable to export anything from this current project.

My computer specs are

Intel E6400 2.16ghz

2gb DDR2 RAm

2x 512mb NVidia 8800GTS in SLi

2x 320gb HDD in RAID 1 (Partitioned into 2 drives. Premire is installed on the C drive)

1x 500gb HDD (my source files are stored on this drive.

Running Windows XP SP3 with all the updates

My drivers are upto date as well.

CS4 - all programs installed have the latest updates.

I am really stumped for why I am unable to export my project. I had made previous movies and they worked fine but this one just doesn't seem to export. I have also tried a fresh install of windows and that hasn't helped either.

• 1. Re: Unable to export project.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Waiting only 30 minutes for AME to start is not enough on an underpowered system with a weird disk setup. I suggest you wait at least 2 hours, maybe more or improve your system by getting 2 GB RAM extra, deleting the partitions on your C drive, getting a separate physical 7200 RPM SATA disk for export and exporting to that new disk, not to your C drive.

A minimum for editing AVCHD is IMO an overclocked i7. A stock i7-920 is around 5 times as fast as your E6400. So your system is really underpowered for this material.

I guess that you have a lot of corruption/pollution on your system as well if you use an SLI setup, which does not help at all.

• 2. Re: Unable to export project.
            arch_angel89 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. So your saying SLi doesn't improve performance, it actually decreases it?

After further testing, I just left it to encode while I went out and I returned with this error message:

- Preset Used: HDTV 720p 25 High Quality
            - Video: 1280x720, 25 [fps]
            - Audio: 440 kbps, 44 kHz, 2 channel 24 bit VBR
            - Bitrate: Compressed, VBR, 2 Pass, Audiences:1, Peak 8000.00, Avg 5000.00 [kbps]
            - Encoding Time: 00:02:15
            22/09/2009 7:02:43 PM : Encoding Failed
            -----------------------------------------
            Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.
            -----------------------------------------

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Unable to export project.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The sequence settings are incorrect. It should match your source material and since you use AVCHD as source, you should select an AVCHD preset, not HDV. Or are you only talking about the export settings? If that is the case, what codec are you encoding to, H.264, MPEG2, WMV?

• 4. Re: Unable to export project.
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                So your saying SLi doesn't improve performance, it actually decreases it?

For NLE work with PrPro, your SLI will likely give you nothing, though I doubt that it will hurt performance.

I'd have put the $ into more HDD's. As Harm states, loose the partitions. His ARTICLES on HDD configuration will help you.

I'd also list my Project/Sequence Presets, as there seems to be some confusion as to what is the Project, and what is the Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Unable to export project.
                  John Currie Level 1

Hi arch_

1     Ensure you do not have any gaps between clips on the timeline trying to be exported. Press on the mountain range to expand the timeline to check.

2     Have you recently downloaded and installed any codecs?

John

• 6. Re: Unable to export project.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Along John's suggestion for finding gaps, I also will hit Home, then step through the Timeline with PageDn. the CTI should jump smoothly from Clip to Clip. If it "hiccups," or seems to pause, you have likely found a gap. Sometimes, even at Frame Level Zoom, they can be tough to actually see.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Unable to export project.
                      arch_angel89 Level 1

They are my export settings. I'm using WMV HDTV 720 setting.

As for the gaps, I have checked before but I will check again.

As for the codec, I haven't downloaded or installed any recent codec.

Thanks for your help guys.

• 8. Re: Unable to export project.
                        John Currie Level 1

arch_

Where you go from here depends on whether you want to finish your output in its final format quickly or you want to nail down what is causing the crash. OK, maybe both long term, but short term?

If the latter:

You say -

I takes HD videos in AVCHD. I'm also using footage from other point and shoot cameras, so they are in avi or quicktime file formats.”

This may be part of the problem, as I'm assuming the other point and shoot camera footage is not HD; are the still cameras that shoot movies? I suspect one or more files maybe “corrupt” as far as PrePro CS4 is concerned, regardless of whether it plays OK in other players.

Use the 50% rule to divide the timeline to export. If the first 50% fails the problem is likely within the first 50%. Divide by 50% again, elimating the half that exports, etc.

In your case the error appears to show up in the first 2min +, if I'm reading the error message correctly in post #2, so you have a start.

If you can find the rogue file(s), recapture/condition again using Avisynth/VirtualDub. I usually normalise my footage if it is not firewire captured from my camcorders to a standard format (normally Lagarith/avi) before importing into PrePro CS3. (Don't have CS4). Even with this approach I have had one instance of a PrePro rogue file when cleaning a digital copy of an old 8mm cine tape.

If the former:

I've tried a new project just to see if its to do with AME and it works fine but with my current project it wouldn't work. I could start a new project ...“

This may work, but if it is an asset PrePro does not approve of, you may go round in circles.

Also, try exporting the timeline as avi and import that into Windows Media Encoder 9 as a stand alone application and export as WMV.

John