10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 11:30 AM by Jimbojet

Best way to output a movie to dvd

Jimbojet

Hello,

I have created a full 1-hour lasting movie past months. Now I want to export this movie to a final .avi and also to a dvd. I have worked with DVD menu's before (using TMPGEnc) but I'm not sure how to maintain the best quality in Premiere while the final size is less then 4,7 GB. Just exporting the movie results in a .avi file of 15 GB, which is far too big. Using the Adobe Media Encoder is a possibility, but I'm not sure which settings to chose.

It's a quite technical question I guess, I just need some help with the export settings and which other decoding programs to use.

Greets,

Jim

• 1. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Just use Dynamic Link to Encore and let Encore handle it for you. And start reading the manual, help file and watch tutorials on this.

• 2. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Much will depend on which version of PrPro you have.

The fail-safe method, regardless of version, is to Export your Sequence(s) as elemental streams, i.e. one video-only and one audio-only file. Choose DV-AVI Type II for the video-only and 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV for the audio-only files. Import the video-only file into Encore as a Timeline, then Import the audio-only file as an Asset. From En's Project Panel, drag the Audio Asset to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place.

There are other methods, and Harm mentioned one of them, provided that you have CS3, or CS4. Still, the "fail-safe" method will work too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have PPro CS3 or CS4 you have Encore as part of the bundle

Since it appears you are new to this, I recommend you export as DV AVI and give that file to Encore

Set up your menu(s) and then let Encore use the AUTOMATIC setting to make the encoding fit on a DVD

For best burn control, I always tell Encore to create an ISO and then I use the free Imgburn to write to DVD

Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs and burn at the slowest possible speed for the best burn

http://www.imgburn.com/

• 4. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                Jimbojet Level 1

Thanks for the reponses. When I want to use the dynamic link (it seems very usefull! I asume I don't need to re-export the movie again when I made some changes in the project) I can only export to After Effects. This might be because I use Premiere Pro 2.0 (CS2?) and Encore CS3.

Anyway, I am exporting the video and audio now, I hope it will work. I couldn't find a DV AVI type II so I just used DV AVI.

@John T Smith: Does it matter that much which brand of dvd I use? I have ordered a bulk of Platinum dvds. I've used these before but haven't had any problems yet.

• 5. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Why are you making things difficult for yourself? If you have Encore CS3, you also have PR CS3, so why edit with PR 2.0?

As to which brands to use, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are top brands. Platinum uses all kinds of brands from wherever they can get the best price. Quality wise they are not advised. Jim Simon has experience with another good brand (I can't recollect the name) that is only available in the US.

• 6. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

The brand that Jim has used is Falcon. The distribution is a bit limited, but he sings their praises. I have yet to try them, but then I have so many TY's and Verbatims, that I have not had a reason to buy more blanks - yet.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I couldn't find a DV AVI type II so I just used DV AVI.

In PrPro, this will be Type II. In some other programs, like WMM, you will not be quite so fortunate.

If you have PrPro CS3 and Encore CS3 (they were bundled), then Adobe Dynamic Link is the easiest way to do it. Since you are already doing the Export, all that is lost is a bit of time.

Just Import your Video as a Timeline, and your Audio as an Asset. From the Project Panel, drag the Audio to the appropriate Timeline - done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                        Jimbojet Level 1

Well I just imported everything, created a menu, and exported it. All went fine, except for one small thing. The main menu has wrong proportions, it seems like it is in double 16:9 or something. A second (scene selection) menu is alright, though. Does anyone know what could be the problem? This is only in my media player on my pc, not when I burn it and play it on a dvd player (at least, not the one I use).

• 9. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

What DVD software player are you testing with? Just a guess is that it is not reading the PAR of that one Menu correctly. Where did that Menu come from, and if it's a Library Menu, which one did you use?

It also might be possible to adjust the Menu in PS, but then if it's doing fine in the set-top player, I'd go back to the DVD software player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Best way to output a movie to dvd
                            Jimbojet Level 1

I just used Windows Media Player. WMP Classic does the job flawless though, just as PowerDVD. I just hope this problem doesn't occur on other dvd players.

The menu was made by myself from a psd file.