7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 11:43 AM by Steve Grisetti

PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions

Annetta Coleman Level 1

I have a new Canon Vixia HFS100 (AVCHD) and have just installed Premiere Elements 7.0.   I previously used a Standard Definition mini-tape camcorder and edited the videos with either Windows Movie Maker or Cyberlink Power Director.

Capture Questions:  The AVCHD media import option does not require a fire wire / nor does it provide device control.  (I LIKE this feature since I purchased a camcorder with flash memory cards so that I could import the media through a card reader instead of having to hook up the camcorder.)  I realize now, however that I may also want to import a small segment from a longer scene.  Should the AVCHD capture feature have device control?  If not, can I also use the HDV camcorder capture function instead?   Does this require any adjustments to my project settings?

Conforming Questions:  After I import the .mts files, PRE 7.0 automatically goes through a process that says it is 'conforming' the files.   What does 'conforming' mean?  Does this require any adjustments to my project settings?

Editing Questions:   The .mts scenes cannot be played back without SEVERE stutter.   Audio is fine, but the scenes video looks like individual stills with 10-15 second delay until the next still picture.  Although I plan to upgrade from my 1 GB RAM laptop to a much higher powered laptop within the next month, I am despearate to edit and publish my first set of videos since they are sales videos of horses I am trying to sell.  Is there anything I can do to allow me to edit the .mts files with my current 1 GB RAM system?  I would be happy to drop to a lower quality video setting just to get this batch of videos edited and produced.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Conforming Questions:  After I import the .mts files, PRE 7.0 automatically goes through a process that says it is 'conforming' the files.  What does 'conforming' mean?  Does this require any adjustments to my project settings?

Conforming is the process of converting the Audio to a 32-bit floating point file for editing. Also, the PEK files are being generated. These are for the Waveform Display. Just let this take place. There is a blue bar at the lower-right of the GUI, to indicate the progress.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Is there anything I can do to allow me to edit the .mts files with my current 1 GB RAM system?

While additional RAM will likely enhance your editing experience, it is the CPU that gets stressed with AVCHD. What type and speed processor does your system have. Many strongly suggest a Core2 Quad as the minimum CPU for AVCHD.

This ARTICLE might help you tune up your computer for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
              Annetta Coleman Level 1

I have a dual processor laptop and obviously need an upgrade. 

TWO follow on questions related to the editing portion of my post...

1. Is there anything I can do NOW to get this first set of videos edited / produced on my current laptop?   I would be happy to import as lower quality if necessary.
              2. What configuration wish list can you recommend for either a Dell laptop or desktop?   I will be editing ~40 horse sale videos per month and posting them to YouTube or producing DVDs to mail to prospective buyers.  
              • 4. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                1. Is there anything I can do NOW to get this first set of videos edited / produced on my current laptop?   I would be happy to import as lower quality if necessary.

There are several threads on AVCHD conversion. Unfortunately, I do not recall the conversion utilities recommended. Not shooting AVCHD, I have to admit that I am personally clueless to what programs work, and how well. Others can likely help you there.

2. What configuration wish list can you recommend for either a Dell laptop or desktop?   I will be editing ~40 horse sale videos per month and posting them to YouTube or producing DVDs to mail to prospective buyers.

I have just the ARTICLE for that "wishlist." Harm Millaard is the "Hardware Guru," on the PrPro forum. He gives a lot of great info. Now, it's pretty much geared for the "ultimate" NLE machine, but he does give the reasons, so one can "tone it down" to suit their budget and their needs.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if I find the threads on AVCHD conversion, I'll share those.

• 5. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an ARTICLE on "proxy-editing." While not exactly the same, it might be of use. OzPeter is a respected contributor to the Adobe Audition forum, and has spent a good bit of time here, working with HD footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a FAQ ARTICLE by Steve Grisetti, the world famous author, MOD of this forum and all around great guy. This might be of use too.

Hope that some of this will help you, until you take delivery of that "killer" NLE machine,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PRE 7.0 Capture, Conforming & Editing Questions
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm blushing, Hunt. But thanks for the endorsement!