7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 8:56 AM by JhabrixJay

Rulers + pixels

JhabrixJay Level 1

Hi...

Very irritating... trying to use Illustrator – for the first time – to design a page for the web... so naturally have set the rulers to pixels. Hassle is the pixels are displayed as 72 to an inch. IOW the numbering at the top goes: 0, 36, 72, etc...  Calculating sizes, etc, is a pain... How can i get the rulers to display as 0, 10, 20, 30, etc...

TIA.

Another question, though OT: Anyone know of a way to display html files in a folder as thumbnails... you know, how Bridge displays images or .ai files?

Cheers...

JJ

• 1. Re: Rulers + pixels
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Jay,

Unless things have changed in the latest version(s), there is no way to tame the rulers.

You may create a customized grid, possibly with different stroke weights/colours, and use that. The Rectangular Grid Tool is a flyout from the Line Segment Tool. The bottommost path in the resulting Group is the outer rectangle, the others are the dividing lines.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rulers + pixels
            JhabrixJay Level 1

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Unless things have changed in the latest version(s), there is no way to tame the rulers.

Hi Jacob...

That's a bit of a pain... was hoping to do this in Illustrator rather than PS as i'm trying to use Illustrator a bit more than i do... oh well...

Anyway, Cheers!

JJ

• 3. Re: Rulers + pixels

Hi Jay. No customized grid then?

• 4. Re: Rulers + pixels
                JhabrixJay Level 1

No... doesn't suit the way i work... the grid feature doesn't work either because the moment you have a background it gets hidden... guess i'll have to experiment... deadline overdue ... or do it in PS...

• 5. Re: Rulers + pixels

Jay,

the grid feature doesn't work either because the moment you have a background it gets hidden...

You mean the background gets hidden? Not if you create the grid with stroke no fill. You may sttart by creating another path and remove its fill, if any, and then create the grid.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Rulers + pixels
                    JhabrixJay Level 1

Jacob Bugge wrote:

You mean the background gets hidden? Not if you create the grid with stroke no fill. You may sttart by creating another path and remove its fill, if any, and then create the grid.

No, no.... i meant the default grid... View -> Show Grid. That gets hidden. Guess, i'll just have to put the page together in PS, as i usually do and then just save out the elements i need...

Tried setting up as you suggested, using the rectangular grid tool. Too painful. So much easier to just drag the guides to where precisely you want them. Really strange that Illustrator insists on setting the pixel ruler count based on 72ppi instead of just absolute pixels...

• 7. Re: Rulers + pixels
                      JhabrixJay Level 1

Using the transform tool one can precisely position guides but it's a bit weird... a website is based on pixels and not x pixels per inch or cm... so really strange that Illustrator, that also touts itself as a tool for web graphics, has this handicap.