4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 8:19 AM by Tvoliter

Three things I would like to see in Flash Catalyst.

camalot71

1. I would REALLY like a way to edit the code in Flash Catalyst. If Adobe doesn't figure this one out, they will lose a lot of business. I'm not going to buy an other product like Flex just so I can edit the code. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but once in a while, designers need to edit some code.

2. It would be nice if I could just double click groups or layers to edit them (like in Flash an illustrator). Currently, it is very painful having to dig through groups and layers just to edit an object. This is a real time waster and it can add several hours on to a small project.

3. Effects. I know you can add drop shadows and glows to objects in Photoshop and Illustrator, but is the a way to do these in Catalyst? That would be nice to have.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Three things I would like to see in Flash Catalyst.
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Thank you for the feedback. Let me respond to each of your suggestions:

1. Code editing

We certainly recognize the value of editing code in Catalyst and recognize that designers as well as developers want to edit their code. Being about to robustly round trip code in Catalyst is a feature that we plan to address in a later version of Catalyst.

2. Editing in place/isolation mode on groups

I agree that this is a real time saver by making selections and editing much faster. For now, a work-around that may work for some artwork is to convert it to a custom component so that it can be edited in isolation. I recognize this is a trade off. If you convert artwork to a component then you can edit in place, but you won't be able to use the white arrow selection tool to "reach" into the component when you are not editing in place

3. Applying effects to artwork in Catalyst

Coming in the next beta release :-)

Ty

• 2. Re: Three things I would like to see in Flash Catalyst.
            keith0507

I think Catalyst is a step in the right direction, the ability to import a psd or ai file and convert it to an application is pretty slick,

I would like to see the following incorporated into the tool as well:

1. Use percentages for parts of your design. In the beta this is not possible, values are absolute. Or enable restraint based layout as you can do in Flex.
            2. Enable absolute center in the browser as you can do in Flex.

Now I know I can fix the above in Flex no problem, but since Catalyst is basically a layout tool,

it makes sense to me the above functionality should be included in Catalyst. Just my 2 cents.

Over all I think it's great.

Keith

• 3. Re: Three things I would like to see in Flash Catalyst.
              acath Level 4

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

We definitely know about this gap in the product and it's a high priority for future versions.

-Adam

• 4. Re: Three things I would like to see in Flash Catalyst.
                Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Beta II is now available and supports filters on objects. Select a graphic and apply things like glows and drop shadows using the Properties Inspector panel.

Ty