11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 2:28 PM by rcp728

ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4

CantonVideoMan

Hi,

I have a client that has provided me with a video taken with a Sony HDR-SR1 and needed some simple edits. The problem I'm having is that the mts video files are extremly "jumpy or jerky" when I play back in Premiere. By jumpy I mean every 1/2 second or so the video seems to become pixelated and shifts in portions of the frame (Enitre frame doesn't shift just areas near movemonet in the video). this Shift or jerk is not slight by any strech. If I scrub through the video frame by frame it all looks normal.

I have copied the mts files directly from the camera to my PC and them imported them directly into Premiere. All files and premiere project are stored on a dedicated SATA drive separate from the OS drive.

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4

Vista Ultimate 64 bit

8 GB RAM

Sepatare SATA Drive for video editing (More than 500 GB free)

Intel core 2 QUAD

Has anyone had any luck editing mts files without this issue? Any suggestions on how I can resolve this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

A Core2 Quad is about the minimum CPU for AVCHD material. However, many get smooth editing from one.

I wonder if your SATA external is a contributor. As a "test," try a new Project on an internal with just one of the AVCHD files. How does it perform?

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Editing AVCHD is much more heavily reliant on CPU horsepower, and less so on I/O.

• 2. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
            Jim_Simon Level 8

A Core2 Quad is about the minimum CPU for AVCHD material.

It might be smart to bump that up to a Core i7 as the minimum.  And even then, some folks have issues.

• 3. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Were it not for the number of folk "getting by" with the Quads, I'd completely agree. The more CPU power the better.

Hunt

• 4. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                TheShamsMan Level 1

I'm having the exact same problem.

I'm running an i7 920, 6GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 4870 Videocard. All overclocked.

I'm using the latest version of Windows 7 and Premiere Pro (4.1.0). Still it persists.

Any suggestions?

• 5. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

what about your hard drives - where is your media located?

• 6. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                    TheShamsMan Level 1

I copied the files from internal flash memory and placed it on my hard drive. Desktop I think.

I have a Western Digirtal HHD. 600GB. Nothing special. No Raptor or anything. But hasn't disappointed yet!

Thanks!

• 7. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Desktop I think.

That's not so good.  Ideally you should have a dedicated Media drive.  Something big, and fast.

• 8. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                        TheShamsMan Level 1

I've used the same files in Vegas Pro 9 and Corel and there was no problem. I"m guessing that my hard drive might be bare minimum, but it still runs just fine. I've tried running this from different locations within the same HHD, but still no dice.

500 of the 600GB of my HHD is empty.

• 9. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't necessarily comapre the performance of different software against Premiere.  Just because one works in a particular setup is no guarantee that another will.

Any edit rig should have a minimum of three hard drives.  One just for OS and programs, one for project files and scratch, and one just for media.  You can get away with less, but that's where performance starts to suffer.

• 10. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                            321 rollem

Let me share my experience with playing back files in the source monitor on the Intel side.

I was reading a post by someone on here suggesting a higher FSB will make it run smoother.  I did not see any overclocking background in the post but took the advice because it looked like the poseter had alot of experience.  Isolating the high FSB theory, I took my Q9650, UD3R, and 4G (might of been 8g at the time) from 333x9 to 500x6 which is the same end result or 3Ghz.  I have a little bit of experience with overclocking starting back in the P4T 533 Rambus days.  My northbrige was tested through the OS using Prime95 Large FFTs which essentially stresses the motherboard subsystem and the ram was tested by Memtest86 v2.11 @ 500 or 1000Mhz - so those two factors were out of the way; the CPU was made to do 3Ghz so my testing of the CPU at that speed wasn't too extensive.  The end result was that no matter what the FSB was, running Premiere Pro CS4, high quality playback in the source monitor was choppy or rubber-band like in affect.

When I changed my Ghz speed from 3Ghz to 3.6Ghz (400x9) things ran smoother.  I didn't keep the system up for long as I got sucked into the upgrade-itis with MicroCenters 199$ deal for the i7 920.  I haven't started editing on this platform but in the 775lga arena you want to run your quad around 3.6Ghz

EDIT: system specs (from what I remember)

Yorkfield Quad 775lga

4 or 8g DDR2 1000 (500fsb is max without overclocking the ram)

ATI 4870

Gigabyte UD3R (this is one of the VERY few 775lga mobo that will run 500fsb in its sleep; my Asus Maximus II Formula, for 150$ more, cired and  crapped out at 479fsb)

Vista U 64

300g 15k SCSI

Message was edited by: 321 rollem

• 11. Re: ACVHD/mts video is jumpy during playback in Premiere CS4
                              rcp728

While I have followed this post, I have kept quiet. The problem playing/editing MTS files has been a real eyesore. Thankfully the rendered Flash video does not show this.

I just downloaded the PremierPro update and it was the very first thing I checked tonight. No improvement here on my MacBook Pro 17". But it is still just a laptop with 4GB RAM.

But more interesting is that I am rebuilding two Dell Precision Pro workstations at work with Windows 7 64bit Pro. It is amazing that Windows Media Player plays MTS and M2T files natively at full resolution as smooth as if playing in the camera. Just beautiful. The same for my aging home PC with Windows 7 Pro and the CS3 suite (single quad and SLI video).

Most others use a third party software solution, but I am trying to keep these new machines as light as possible, dedicated to Adobe. I installed VMware virtual machines with Windows 7 for all other tasks outside Adobe like Office, Articulate, FTP and so on.

I moved the Quadro 4600 to the Dell 490 and installed an NVIDIA GTX 295 in my Dell 690 (twin quad, 12GB RAM) to see if a dedicated video style card can keep up with the Quadro performance. Just a little testing so far has been good.

I was hoping to see some improvement with this update, but sadly I don't see it. Will CS5 be the fix? Converting to another format means more time wasted and yet another large file to deal with, times 5 or 6 videos or maybe more. This really needs some attention, unless maybe someone out there has seen them play smoothly on something?