10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2009 8:21 AM by 4anue

How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?

4anue Level 1

Greetings all,

I have a chart of important info I'd like to add to my DVD.  I have it in MS Word - it's 2 pages each 22" long, and I have it in PowerPoint format - 2 slides, 22" long.  I Camstudio'd both versions and neither was DVD quality picture when I added them to the Timeline.  I tried rendering each as MS Uncompressed AVI to no avail.  I Googled "how to burn MS Word file to DVD" and found nothing and couldn't find anything that says PREL supports Word or Powerpoint files.

Does anyone have an idea how I can include this info on my DVD?  It's very important part of the How-to process I'm advocating (and selling) via my DVD.

I've got Vista Home Premium OS, Microsoft Office 2007, Premiere Elements 7, version 7.0.

I had hoped to author the DVD today and start distributing to colleagues for testimonials for the back cover but can't do it until I resolve this issue.

Thanks,

anue

• 1. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if PrEl has this function, but in Encore, you add computer files in the DVD ROM section

These files are not, of course, available when the movie is played... only on a computer where you tell the user to look in the correct folder (I've never done this, so I don't know where Encore actually puts the files on the DVD or what the folder is named)

You might check the PrEl help file to see if it has a dvd rom function

These notes are for Encore, but the 2nd one may be worth looking at

Use Encore and http://www.intellidisc.com/ for a "movie" DVD
          which also has computer content, or use Macromedia Director
          http://www.adobe.com/products/director/ by itself

• 2. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, the questions:

Do you want this data to be in the form of ROM content on your DVD, so one can access it from a computer and open it in the appropriate program? If so, Encore (and probably some other authoring apps.) will allow you to include DVD-ROM content. This is what John is talking about. Remember, if the DVD is played from a set-top player, this data will NOT be available. Also, if played from a computer, it will NOT display in your "movie." I always include a Title, telling the user how to access this type of material. I'd put the data in .PDF format, for viewing in Adobe Acrobat Reader (freeware, and on most computers already). You could also do a PowerPoint Presentation, but one would need Office w/ PP, or a PP reader.

Now, if you want to actually display these charts, you can create a Title with the data from Word. IIRC, there is a limit to the "length" of a Title in PrE. In PrPro there is not. For this sort of Title, I just create an image in Photoshop, Copy/Paste from Word, check formatting and correct if necessary, then Save_As a .PSD image file. This is then Imported into my NLE (PrPro, or PrE) as a still image. Personally, I will Keyframe a "Roll" for that/those Title(s). One can also use the Roll Preset, but I find this a bit limited.

Back to Photoshop - create a New Image, from the NTSC (or PAL) Preset that matches your Project. Before you accept this Preset, change the vertical dimension to allow for the necessary room for all of your lines of text. PrPro and PrE can accept images up to 4000 pixels in the largest dimension. These will take some extra resources to edit, but most good computers can handle a few of these.

If you need more info, let me know and I'll step you through the process. This is easy in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. It can also be done in other image processing programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I am not 100% positive, but I do not believe that PrE has the ability to add DVD-ROM content, as does Encore and DVD Studio Pro (plus others possibly).

Now, one could Burn to Folder, then add another folder with that material, then use ImgBurn to actually do the physical burn. I think that would work too. The one caveat would be that some set-top players might choke on having another folder, besides the VIDEO_TS folder with the full DVD-Video structure. One would have to test this on both computers and set-top players, if delivery would need to encompass both types of playback.

Still, if I had DVD-ROM content, I would do a Title in the "movie," with instructions on how to access that content, and what might be required to play/display it. Otherwise, the user might never know that the DVD-ROM content exists on the disc.

Good luck, and maybe someone, who knows, can tell us whether PrE can do DVD-ROM content.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

anue

If you are intent on a presentation of your work in DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc, then you are painting yourself into a corner trying to incorporate Microsoft Word generated 22 inch long charts.

1. When it comes to video, you are talking pixel dimensions, not inches, and aspect ratios of 4:3 or 16:9. I did a quick guess-estimate in Photoshop Elements and came up with a 22 inch long and assumed 8.5 inch wide Word Document = 612 pixels x 1584 pixels (with the resolution in Image Resize dialog set = 72 pixels/inch). The frame size of DVD-VIDEO is 720 x 480 for both standard and widescreen. Widescreen includes a 16:9 flag to stretch the video on playback. Another question that comes up is are these charts created portrait or landscape oriented? But, there is always the Rotate property in the Premiere Elements Properties Palette/Motion Panel.

2. Let us put the media aside for a moment and talk about the Premiere Elements setup for projects with graphic or chart inclusions. I would suggest that you set your project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen. When you get to the Edit workspace, go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and uncheck "Default Scale to Frame Size". Then use the Scale properties in Motion Panel of the Properties Palette to scale your image to the frame size yourself. Keep the Safe Margins on (text within the inner rectangle; action within the inner rectangle). With that frame size, you would have to scale the image down quite a bit and I suspect lose good visibility for the viewer.

3. As for the matter that was brought up by others, including images on the same DVD with the DVD-VIDEO content....Premiere Elements burn to disc cannot do that. You can burn to folder and then burn the VIDEO_TS of that folder and images (individually or in a folder) to one disc using a 3rd party burn software, but there are several possible pitfalls.

a. Most of these 3rd party burn software burn the VIDEO_TS in a Burn Video Category, not Make Data Disc. I know that Record Now will let you do that if you set for Burn VIdeo Files and drop the media into the disc at the top of the burn dialog there.

b. BUT, I have found that my DVD player will play back the DVD-VIDEO content, not individual photos. The computer will play back DVD-VIDEO and photos with or without in a folder on separate computer programs with the appropriate prompt. However, if I include the photos in a folder in the DVD-VIDEO, my DVD player will reject the DVD disc.

Have you considered converting your Microsoft Word generated document to jpeg and then bringing the jpeg into Premiere Elements?

http://www.print-driver.com/howto/convert_word_to_jpeg.html

The above software might be a possibility for doing that.

Also, do you have Photoshop Elements? Using Photoshop Elements, you could copy/paste of the Word chart into a Photoshop Elements New Blank Document sized for NTSC DV video. Size it to the video frame size, save, and import as jpeg or psd into Premiere Elements Get Media/Files & Folders.

If you are not bound to Microsoft Word Charts, you could create your charts in Photoshop Elements or some other program whose files would be compatible with Premiere Elements.

Does any of that help or just spin around the problem?

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  If you are not bound to Microsoft Word Charts, you could create your charts in Photoshop Elements or some other program whose files would be compatible with Premiere Elements.

IF the OP does want the charts to appear as Titles, this is the method that I had recommended. I use PS (but PSE should do about the same), and can do very long charts, or credits, up to 4000 pixels. This will work fine, with the limitation on image size (4000 pixels on the largest dimension).

I'd keep the images as .PSD's, and not use any JPEG compression, as I'd want the best possible image for lots of text.

I've done several tests, and can state that with an image file, one can get a lot of lines of text to display and display properly.

Actually, PrPro's Titler does not suffer from the same limitations that PrE's Titler seems to. In PrE, I could get 33 lines of text, but with PrPro's Titler, there is no such limit. Still, doing the .PSD in PS/PSE will eliminate any limit (other than 4000 pixels), and can be Keyframed to be animated.

Now, with regards to the DVD-ROM material, one will have to address the exact delivery format, and whether it will be on computer, or set-top players.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
                    4anue Level 1

Thanks to all for the guidance - I'm trying first one thing and then

another.  Ideally I'd like to have the file fit on the timeline as part of a

chapter with other info and also add it to a DVD ROM segment.  I'm going

through the list of suggestions and will report back what works.

What are OP and .PSD?

Thanks,

Antoinette

Antoinette Nue

The Green Living Goddess

"Go green your way.  I insist."

404-668-2910

antoinette@greenlivinggoddess.com

www.greenlivinggoddess.com

• 7. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Antoinette,

In this case, "OP" = you, the "original poster."

PSD is the format for PS and PSE - Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It is the native format of those programs.

Ideally I'd like to have the file fit on the timeline as part of a chapter

For this, the Title will work fine. There have been references to how to do this above.

Ideally I'd like to have the file fit on the timeline as part of a chapter with other info and also add it to a DVD ROM segment

For this, PrE makes it a tad more difficult, but some of the workarounds should work. In some other program, designed for DVD authoring, like Adobe Encore, things are much easier. Still, there should be some workarounds.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
                        4anue Level 1

Hi Hunt and AT,

Thanks for all of the guidance; I had to work through Vista/IE instability

problems and am back online - another whole thread I'm sure.

I saved the PowerPoint slide as a jpeg and AT your calculations were dead

on; the file is 2112 pixels long and looks very clear and sharp in jpg.  I

saved it as an uncompressed file and followed your suggestion about changing

presets to add it to PREL timeline.

I added Roll effect and spread it out over the timeline so viewer can move

very slowly through it and stop as necessary.

Info is legible but not good enough to publish. 

Would either of you - or anyone else be willing to convert these docs in

Titler - the suggestion Hunt made - and just charge me for it?  I need a

quality solution in a hurry.

Or do you have other suggestions about how to get a clearer picture?

Also, AT, if I use your suggestion about burning a Video_TS file onto the

DVD, would I put pdf in those folders or jpg?  I don't encourage printing

the charts but I want people to have that option.

Thanks,

Antoinette

• 9. Re: How do I add chart of info to my movie/DVD?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Would either of you - or anyone else be willing to convert these docs in Titler - the suggestion Hunt made - and just charge me for it?  I need a quality solution in a hurry.

In PrE Titler, you'd just Copy from your Word DOC, and Paste into Titler. You could set the font to a clear san-serif, like Arial.

As for a .PSD, I'd be glad to do that in Photoshop for you. Just e-mail me your .DOC and any particulars, such as the Tracking and Leading that you want, or let me choose something that looks good. Also, please let me know your Project Presets, so I can size the .PSD to match those. There will be no charge. My e-mail address is in my Profile, and just add "Adobe PrE Title" to the Subject Line, so Mailwasher does not eat your correspondence. Also, check out what size of attachment your POP account can handle. The .PSD will not be that large, but some POP servers have pretty small limits. Should you not be able to directly handle this, I'll post it to YouSendIt and furnish you with a password, so you can download it via HTTP.

As for a potentially printable version, I'd not go with a graphic, but instead Export/Publish to .PDF (Word should be able to do this directly), and include that. Set the resolution to ~ 200, and then someone can print it. It will be significantly smaller than a high-rez graphic.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to go from movie to pdfs and back - gracefully
                            4anue Level 1

Question was reposted as a separate thread under title How to go from movie to pdfs and back -gracefully

Message was edited by: 4anue