4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 5:25 PM by Oldibas

AE CS4 render engine / Adobe Media Encoder won't create a container for h.264 blu-ray

Oldibas

here's the problem.

First, I tried to render a comp using the render engine inside AE using h.264 blu-ray preset.

It was supposed to create 1 file, but I ended up with 3 : audio track, video and a file with .xmpses extension.

I then decided to render it in lossless .mov, which works fine, but 3:40 minutes is taking up over 8gb, which is of course, unacceptable.

After that, I've put the .mov file into Media Encoder to try h.264 blu-ray there.

Absolutely the same ********.

I'm using the Mac version of AE CS4.

Here is the screenshot of original .mov file and the result. As you see, it refuses to make a container. This is absolutely unacceptable

Screen shot 2009-09-22 at 10.53.13 PM.png

• 1. Re: AE CS4 render engine / Adobe Media Encoder won't create a container for h.264 blu-ray
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

There's nothing wrong with the H264 Blu-Ray preset spitting separate video and audio files. That's how it's meant to work.

A BR-D authoring application will take the elementary streams (video, audio, etc) and multpilex them together when building the project. Just like on DVDs, this is what allows you to switch between different audio languages/tracks on a Blu-Ray disc.

So, if you want to have an H264 video file with audio, don't use the Blu-Ray preset. Customize the H264 settings to get what you want.

Also, bear in mind that the Blu-Ray preset will give you as a result something that may only play when used to author Blu-Ray, ie they may not play back in Quicktime or Flash player. They don't support the H264 profiles used for Blu-Ray authoring.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE CS4 render engine / Adobe Media Encoder won't create a container for h.264 blu-ray
            Oldibas Level 1

Thank you a lot for clarifying. It was very confusing.

So it turns out that what BD encoding produces is meant to be authored afterwards in Encore or similar app., am I right?

It raises another question: what settings do I need to encode the comp in 720p resolution without taking up lots of space?

Any recomendations? Or maybe link me to a manual so that I'd be able to help myself out?

• 3. Re: AE CS4 render engine / Adobe Media Encoder won't create a container for h.264 blu-ray
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              It raises another question: what settings do I need to encode the comp in 720p resolution without taking up lots of space?

Well, it depends on whether you need a production master (something for broadcast, for example, or to use as a source for other encoding tasks) or if you want a version for distribution. If it's the former, there's nothing wrong with "lots of space" - A Quicktime file with PNG or Animation codec is a good idea, but it will take a lot of space. If it's the latter, H264 is perfect but there's no built-in preset to take 720 material to the web.

You could do this:

* Pick the generic H264 template. You'll see that it will give an error if you attempt to render, because the default setting uses an H264 profile/level which doesn't let you use HD resolutions.

* In the H264 video options, set the "Profile" menu to "Main" and "Level" to 4.0. That will keep it compatible to Quicktime and Flash player, while allowing larger frame sizes and higher bit rates.

* Set Target Bitrate to 5-8 Mbps and Maximum Bitrate to 9-10 Mbps if you're targetting web delivery. That's a bit over what Apple uses for 720p content on the Apple TV, for example.

The H264 original preset will instruct you in the comment field to stretch to 640x480 in Output Module. There's no need, since you are using a profile/level combination which allows higher frame sizes.

• 4. Re: AE CS4 render engine / Adobe Media Encoder won't create a container for h.264 blu-ray
                Oldibas Level 1

Your help is very much apreciated.

I guess I'll see what I can do myself from now on.