15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 10:51 AM by the_wine_snob

No Audio on Saved File

dkmiller44

First and Formost, I know nothing of computer jargon.  My operating system is Windows Vista and I'm using Premiere Elements 4.0.  I'm making a fan video with lots of video clips choreographed around a song.  I have to save the file to my computer before I can upload it to the website.  The saved computer file doesn't have any sound attached.  The song plays fine with the video in  PrE (is that the right abrev.).  I made a similar video about a month ago and did NOT have this problem.  The both songs are from itunes.  All the video capures are from the same program.  The only difference In the two videos is that my new one has more video clips.  I've saved it in different formants with the same result.  Any help as how I might get my video to work right will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: No Audio on Saved File
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, when one starts a New Project in PrE (yes, that abb. works fine), they are forced to choose a Preset. This will be something like NTSC Standard (4:3) DV, or similar. The Project's Preset should match the footage in all respects, like Frame Size, etc.

What Project Preset did you choose?

What are the specs. of the Video Clips, that you Imported? If you are not sure, G-Spot will give you all of the info.

One comment on your music Soundtrack - MP3's can be problematic, but this usually comes during Import. You did not mention any problem, so I will assume that these are not giving you any problems, especially as they play fine in PrE.

Now, we're off to your editing of the material. Things play fine in PrE, so that pretty much eliminates most of the Audio settings there, as being the cause. Maybe not all, but most. We'll get back to those that could still play a role, when we get deeper into the process of troubleshooting.

When you chose to Export/Share your edited "movie," you again choose Presets, sort of like when you create a New Project. What did you choose? A screen-cap of that Export dialog screen might give us some clues. Some Export settings can be for Video Only, and will not include Audio. This would be where I would immediately look. That is why I asked about the Export Preset and any Advanced settings. This is the most likely place for this behavior to come from.

Sorry for the questions, but the answers might point someone to the exact cause of your issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No Audio on Saved File
            dkmiller44 Level 1

I leave everything at the default (mostly cause I don't want to skrew something up)  but here are the answers to your questions

Preset - NTSC-DV Standard 48khz

Share - NTSC-Flash Video 7 256k

• 3. Re: No Audio on Saved File
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at this screen-cap. Is Audio checked?

Export_FLV_Settings.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                dkmiller44 Level 1

Yes the export audio was checked.

I was getting frusterated with the video, I had used flv files and so I converted them to avi files for better quality(something I learned for these forums) and started a new project.  Same song, just different video files.  I have sound now, but the clip's audio remains in the saved file.  The audio from the clips doesn't play in premiere and I have everything muted except for soundtrack.  I was willing to just accept this, so I uploaded it to you tube but youtube doens't recogonize the audio file and won't play the audio.

I'm getting very worn down by this video, I've worked to hard on it to give up now.  So please help me make it right.

• 5. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the file format of that music?

Also, is it ONLY the music that is not being muxed into your Export file, or all Audio?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                    dkmiller44 Level 1

The Music is from itunes, file says MPEG-4 audio file.

In the old video all sound was muted on the saved file.  In the new video, both the soundtrack and clip audio play on the saved file (despite the clip audio being muted).  But no sound will play on the video uploaded to youtube (new video was uploaded).

Thanks so much for helping me figure this out.  I know its hard since I'm such a novice.

• 7. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the information.

Now, I am going to take a guess on this. I use PrPro and then Export to Encore for my authoring needs. PrE has parts of the Encore Sonic-Authorcore built in. It is a different program, a bit of PrPro and a bit of Encore, but there is a common heritage.

I am sure you're wondering where I am going with this. In Encore, MPEG Audio can create all sorts of issues. This can be with elemental streams, i.e. an Audio-only file, and also with muxed MPEG's with MPEG Audio.

As a test, I want you to try converting your MPEG Audio to PCM/WAV. If you do not have an Audio editor, the freeware program, Audacity, is a good one. Open the MPEG Audio file in it, and just do a Save_As, choosing PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Import that "converted" file into PrE, and replace the MPEG file on your Timeline. Try your Export again. Please report if there is any difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I know its hard since I'm such a novice.

Do not worry about this. I can go over to the Acrobat forum, and I am a "novice." You pointed out that you did not have a lot of experience with video editing, so that alerted us to not use a bunch of jargon, that might not be clear to you. That helps.

I usually approach questions here, slightly differently than I do in the PrPro forum, as I assume that one using PrPro might have more experience and background. This is not always the case, and I have to go back and define many of the terms that I use. You saved me having to do that.

I just wish that I had a lot of really good ideas, but I'm struggling to figure out what is going on with your Audio files. Hope that Audacity test helps us.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                          dkmiller44 Level 1

Hit another bump.  Downloaded audacity, opened the song in audacity, but only 2 sec of "screeching" sound opens up.  I do have a file converter program. Thats how I convert my video files.   But it doesn't have the exact file type you suggested.  Is it the same as WAVE?

• 10. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Oy Vey! Hope you did not have the headphones on...

Let's try this test another way then. E-mail me (e-dress in my Profile) the MP4 file as an attachment. Please put "Adobe Premiere Elements" in the Subject, so that Mailwasher does not eat it. I have a dozen Audio editing programs, and am hoping that one of these can Import/Open this file. I'll do a Save_As and either e-mail it back to you, if your POP account will allow for larger files, or post it to YouSendIt and e-mail you the URL plus your password to download it.

Note to self: do not monitor with the headphones!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                              dkmiller44 Level 1

I put the file in what I thought was audio one and had the same problem of the video audio still in the file. I do my editing in the sceneline, so I switched to timeline and found that I hadn't put it in audio one, the clip audio was still there.  It fixed the problem for the saved file.  However youtube disabled my audio.  Says file isn't authorized by WMG.  Not sure what that means.  Gonna try to upload to my back up website to see if audio will work.  Will let you know if it works.

• 12. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Deanna,

I assume that you are referring to the converted WAV file.

I always edit in Timeline View Mode, so I do not know what might happen in Sceneline Mode.

I also have to plead ignorance, as to what YouTube wants. What method of Export did you use, to get to YouTube?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                                  dkmiller44 Level 1

I did it directly through PrE.  They have an export online option that includes youtube.  I might try uploading it directly from my computer to see if it works better.

• 14. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                                    dkmiller44 Level 1

Directly uploaded video from my computer with no sound on youtube.  The fan site I use to upload videos is having trouble processing my video (fliggo.com).  I had uploaded my last video to that website and it worked fine.

But I have to thank you, you have helped me solve the problem of the clip audio on my saved file.  Now I think I just have to figure out how to post it.

If you are able to keep helping me, I appreciate it, but this is sort of out of the realm of PrE, so I understand if you can't.

• 15. Re: No Audio on Saved File
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Deanna,

I got your e-mail, regarding the © issues with YouTube. Bummer, but they do have to protect themselves.

That is one of the reasons that I only use originally created, or SmartSound Royalty Free music in any production. I also do not upload to YouTube, so have no real clue as to their rules and regs.

Thanks for reporting successs, otherwise, and glad that I could help you there.

Good luck, and do not hesitate to ask any questions. If it's germane to this Audio issue, just tag it on here. If it's deifferent, you will want to initiate a new topic, so that folk do not get confused, or ignore the new problem, thinking that everything is solved. You want the greatest readership for any new problem.

Hunt

PS - thanks for hanging in there with me on this. I know that there ended up being more work, than you anticipated, but you were very patient.