6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 3:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS4

AjayManchanda

Customer notes:I had a zipped file with all the Premiere source that somehow got clobbered. However I have all the .cfa and .pek files.  Can I reco
      nstruct the source using these files or at least make a new output file?

If so what do I need to do or what tools do I need?

1) I want to recover the source or recreate the source from the only thing I have left which are the .pek and .cfa files.

2) I am using Premiere Pro CS4.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Case number:181174894

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No. You need the source material and the project file. All the rest you do have means nothing.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a tip: this is a user to user forum. I would not list my Case Number in any posts here.

Good luck, and I agree with Harm,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
              AjayManchanda Level 1

What is the source material and the project file? Could you please explain this so that i can answer the customer's questions.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When using PrPro, one must setup the Project and Sequences. There are plenty of Presets, and one can use Desktop to create a "custom" setting. This should match the source material.

The Assets are all of the source material - AV files (full details required), sitll images, Audio/music files, Dynamically Linked AE Comps, etc. These are the elements that one Imports, or Captures, or Links to in the Project.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ajay, I'm assuming you are some kind of support personnel trying to help a client.  The .pek and .cfa are intermediate files that cannot be used to create the files needed to salvage the project.

The client seems to be saying that they do not have the source, and the answer here is that you cannot reconstruct the "source" (i.e. the files that actually have video and audio information in them) from the .pek and .cfa.

The client does use the odd phrase of "Premiere source" but the source is not really a Premiere file, it is what they brought into Premiere to begin with.  Premiere does not create new versions of those files; it uses the files they imported.  So if they copied those files to another drive and deleted the source files, Premiere does not have a copy of those hanging around.

The slight exception to that is if they have preview files in the project, but these will generally have .avi extensions (and be in a folder with "preview" in the name).

Now the client may in fact have the original tapes or other original material; I would ask them.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I had a zipped file with all the Premiere source that somehow got clobbered.

After rereading this opening line, I have a question:

As PrPro cannot Import an archived file, ZIP, or otherwise, that file had to be Extracted at some time. Was it un-ZIPPED to another folder on the computer, or elsewhere? If so, then you will need to find those. That the ZIP file became corrupted, might not be the end of the world, so long as those Extracted files are still around.

Good luck,

Hunt