23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2009 10:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems with preview

austin.45 Level 1

I'm having problems previewing the video clip as I edit.  The sound comes out fine, but the video won't show in the preview pane.  I have 2 gigs of RAM and 2.62ghz processor so I don't think that's the issue.  Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Problems with preview
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Please give us all of the details on your source footage (your Video Clip), and also the Project Preset used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problems with preview
            austin.45 Level 1

I used a panasonic hdd camera, converted the video from .MOD to .avi then imported.  I used the standard preset but also tried the low quality preset (for iPods and such) with no avail.

• 3. Re: Problems with preview
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info. Seems that you have a JVC camera.

OK, what program did you use for the conversion?

You mention "AVI," but that is almost meaningless by itself. Did you convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, or to some other flavor of AVI? This part is very important. This ARTICLE (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0 ) will give you some background on "wrappers."

Sorry that the forum is messing up lately, and the URL should go with the word "ARTICLE," but will not. Bear with me on this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems with preview
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an article with links to some info on MOD and TOD files from JVC cameras (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/439956;jsessionid=CBA521512FE4CFB80470378C40A737FA.node0?ts tart=0).

Maybe something in those links will help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, I see that you have a Panasonic camera, and NOT a JVC. Sorry. I saw .MOD and just read over "Panasonic." I did not realize that they used that format.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems with preview
                  austin.45 Level 1

Thanks. I used that GSpot analyzer and it said that the codec was MSVC(_RGB)  the name is BI_RGB Raw Bitmap.  It says there is no codec required, but it that true; is this the problem with Premiere?  Oh, by the way I used Rad Video Tools: Bink and Smacker to convert the file.  It's been a good converter for these .MOD files.  I haven't had any other problems with these .avi files.  I've been able to use them in Pinnacle Studios, Movie Maker, and any other player/editor of .avi files.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Problems with preview
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    I've been able to use them in Pinnacle Studios, Movie Maker, and any other player/editor of .avi files.

Then I suggest to use one of these programs or get a video camera, instead of a still camera.

• 7. Re: Problems with preview
                      austin.45 Level 1

...well first of all, it is a video camera, and I am using an .avi file (video).  And I really want to be able to use Adobe because it is more detailed and professional than the others--thought Pinnacle is not bad.

• 8. Re: Problems with preview
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You do not make much sense. You start by saying the camera turns out MOD files, which are only used by JVC AFAIK. Then you say you converted these to AVI, which means nothing, as was explained to you by Bill.

What do you mean in detail? Saying you have a file that can't be opened in Word does not mean a thing, saying you have an AVI that can't be used in PR means nothing, it may be quite good for use in Word. AVI is only a container, that may contain household equipment, old shoes, electronic equipment, metal scrap, food, wine, medical supplies or whatever. The only thing relevant for customs and us is WHAT IS IN THE CONTAINER?

And from what you told us, you need to convert those old shoes/food or whatever it was, to MS DV AVI type2.

• 9. Re: Problems with preview
                          austin.45 Level 1

Sorry about the confusion.  The .MOD file is a video file that is produced by my Panasonic model SDR-H18.  I realize that the container is simply not enough info, so I will use the "GSpot" video analyzer (or something similar) to reevaluate what exactly I have.

I saw on another forum--I support forum I think, maybe this link--that using a Windows Media Player video, exported as their avi file, would work.  I tried this, and it still did not play normally.  The only improvement was that I could scrub through the video smoothly and it would display that way.  But, as you can imagine, that is not practical for video editing.

I also read that Premiere Pro may be a bit more strict on file types, so I am downloading Premiere Elements.  I will try this, along with various types of files.  I will try: an .avi file from RAD Video Tools: Bink and Smacker converter, as well as an .avi from WMM, and maybe some other file types from other converters I find.

Once again, sorry for the confusion, I will try to get as much specific information up as possible soon.

Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Problems with preview
                            austin.45 Level 1

This is the .avi file from Bink and Smacker converter:

vid info.jpg

This is the analysis of the movie maker exported .avi file that almost worked:

vid info2.jpg

• 11. Re: Problems with preview
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

The Bink converted file is absolutely useless, the WMM file a move in the right direction, but not completely. You need DV AVI type2. Try Google to find other converters.

• 12. Re: Problems with preview
                                austin.45 Level 1

What do you think of this file.  It did not work but it was converted to type 2.screen adobe.jpg

• 13. Re: Problems with preview
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I really want to be able to use Adobe because it is more detailed and professional

That's a two-sided coin, Austin.  If you want to use professioanl software, you should also use a professional camera.

• 14. Re: Problems with preview
                                    austin.45 Level 1

Right now, I want the best software (for free) and later the appropriate camera will follow.  But for me, I think that the camera video quality is only a certain percentage, overshadowed--in most cases--by the editing and actual plot of the video.  My camera is suitable for what I am doing, but this software would enhance it--that is if it actually WORKED.

• 15. Re: Problems with preview
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

My camera is suitable for what I am doing

That you're here somewhat belies that view.

if it actually WORKED.

The software does work, quite well in my experience, when you feed it video from a professional camera.

• 16. Re: Problems with preview
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I want the best software (for free)

That leaves out anything Adobe.  I'm not aware of any free NLEs they offer.

• 17. Re: Problems with preview
                                          austin.45 Level 1

In your experiences, it may work fine.  But when I try to use AVI dv II--that should work--for some reason it doesn't.

[inappropriate content deleted by forum host]

But that comes back to the fact that for some reason it won't work.  And when I tried Premiere Elements, it just crashes.  This really irritated me, but I can't specifically attribute this failure to the software, because I also have Premiere Pro installed, and that may be causing some issue.

• 18. Re: Problems with preview
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

[referenced post has been moderated - thanks]

• 19. Re: Problems with preview
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Austin,

I can tell you that PrE and PrPro can coexist on the same computer with no problems. One caveat, though I doubt that it still applies: if one has PrPro installed and then they install PrE 4. PrPro (and all parts of any suite) will have to undergo a Repair Install. I doubt that this is the case with PrE 7, or the new PrE 8.

That PrE crashes has probably more to do with your system. It is a stable little program. When it does not run, nearly every issue can be traced back to the user's system, either the hardware, the software or the setup of these.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Problems with preview
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

[inappropriate content deleted by forum host]

Good call, Jeff.  I should have thought to notify you instead of responding.

• 21. Re: Problems with preview
                                                  austin.45 Level 1

Sorry about that guys, I didn't want it to seem like I was doing anything illegal.  In fact I probably only would have used this for a week.  I didn't know that would be innappropriate at the time, but it does make sense.

Right now, I'm just wondering what is wrong with my system that is causing these problems.  Do I need to update my drivers or something similar?  Or is it some other random problem.

Thanks for the help.

• 22. Re: Problems with preview
                                                    austin.45 Level 1

wow I feel really bad for doing that type of thing.  I was really only thinking legally, not ethically.

But anywho, I did plan on buying the Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements, but if I can't get it to work on my system, I'm not sure what I will do--short of doing a full system overhaul.

• 23. Re: Problems with preview
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                      I'm just wondering what is wrong with my system that is causing these problems.  Do I need to update my drivers or something similar?

Well, drivers are one of the first things to do. A simple OS update, or hot-fix, can kill both audio and video drivers instantly.

Next, this ARTICLE might give you some ways to find "clues" as to what is happening, when the program goes wonky.

This ARTICLE might help you set up your computer for an editing session.

Hope that something here helps,

Hunt