30 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2009 11:48 AM by A.T. Romano Branched to a new discussion.

Premiere Elements 8

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Today Adobe announced the release of Premiere Elements 8.

For those interested in some of the new featuers in this exciting new release, I've created a new FAQ with a linked PDF of some screen shots and detailed discussions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/496335?tstart=0

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe page http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/ does say Win7 but no mention of 64bit... so I will presume this is 32bit only

I'm still waiting to see if PPro CS5 will be 64bit for Win7

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that tid-bit. This release blows my theory that PrE 8 would not be released before the full roll-out of Win7. Well, it shows what guesses will get you.

Just in time for the Holiday buying season, makes good marketing sense. With Win7 coming out soon, I thought they'd just miss the season. Guess that MS got an SDK to Adobe with most of the goodies in it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8
              Kodebuster Level 3

John, I agree as I've not been able to determine if the new PE8 has any code relative to 64-bit.

My guess is if PE8 had any 64-bit code capabilities, Adobe would be shouting it from the mountain tops.

Surprisingly under the System Requirements for PE8, they do list Vista as a supported OS, but they don't distinguish between 32 & 64 bit.

So again my take is that PE8 has NO 64 bit code, is supported for Vista-32, and will run in compatability mode under Vista-64.

Unless we see or hear something different from Adobe, this is probably the best we can hope for...

(Without 64-bit, there's nothing there that gets me excited, in fact it's a bummer)...

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

e i

Today I have been working away downloading and installing Photoshop Elements 8 as well as Premiere Elements 8 and will be giving them a work out tomorrow as standalone and integrated. I hope to post my first impressions within the next 24 to 48 hours

In addition I will do my homework to see what Adobe is putting online with regard to Adobe TechNotes and other technical info for the new versions.

This is only the beginning of round 1 of version 8.

ATR.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

We await your reports and impressions. Maybe you can scoop Steve G. on the first book on PrE 8?????

Enjoy and report,

Hunt

PS - What OS will you be installing to?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                    lespurgeon Level 1

Just put in my order. My hope is that it can properly deal with AVCHD Lite (Panasonic Version), so far that has killed everything that I have tried. I'm curious on the 64bit front, as I just migrated to Vista x64. Rather than upgrading all of my CS2 apps, I'm just getting Acrobat 9 and Elements 8.  I'll wait on CS5 before I splurge on a collection again.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                      Annetta Coleman

I am an amatuer video producer (horse videos to sell my horses) and am in the process of upgrading all of my equipment and software.   My production needs are to produce 3 types of videos.  1) Draft versions to DVD format for easy viewing by colleagues who provide editing advice  2) YouTube versions  of individual horses and 3) menu driven DVDs of multiple horses.  I purchased a Canon Vixia HFS100 (AVCHD) to replace an old mini-tape camcorder.   Late last week I purchased Premiere Elements 7 because I could not get the trial version to work properly.  (I did not know that v8 was going to be available so soon) and now I need to upgrade my laptop since my current (rather high tech) laptop is under powered.

Questions:

1. I am considering returning the PE7 to obtain the PE8.   Can you please summarize the differences in these versions to help me make the decision?
                      2. I am considering high end Dell laptops that have Vista 64-bit OS.  Per read of this thread it appears that PE8 is not 64-bit, but I thought that 32-bit apps would 'work' on a 64-bit machine in compatibility mode.   Will I be able to use PE7 or PE8 with Vista-64 bit?   Will I be able to use my CS3 suite with Vista-64 bit? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8

The program is still a 32-bit program. However, it seems to work well in 32-bit compatibility mode on both Vista and Windows 7. (These OSs shift into compatibility mode automatically, but you don't get 64-bit performance, of course.)

As for AVCHD Lite, that's still considered a hybrid format, and version 8 is not designed to interface with it. Sorry.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Just in time for the Holiday buying season

Hopefully, Adobe did not rush this so much that there are problems

As well as what Hunt said, I will GUESS that PreEl came out this soon due to...

Fewer lines of code (compared to PrePro/Encore) and fewer DLL modules, so faster to do

and

With no major additions, this MAY have been a "fairly simple" matter of using the Win7 32bit SDK and a simple recompile

Extending those thoughts...

It may be that PrePro/Encore are taking longer since they are larger... plus it MAY be that Adobe is re-writing to be 64bit (I hope!!!)

Either way, we'll know when Adobe releases PrePro/Encore

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                            Goh Ching

Hi Steve,

Just wanna know if the new version can burn AVCHD movie on DVD-R ?

Thanks

Ching

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ching,

Do you mean burn an AVCHD Timeline to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD-R disc. YES.

Burn AVCHD Timeline to a DVD-R disc in Blu-Ray format with Premiere Elements 8 burn software, still NO.

Have you seen the thread of gossamer, using the Premiere Elements .m2t export and 3rd party softwares?

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                lespurgeon Level 1

Thanks for the update. OK, I probably wasted my money, but I still do most work in HDV.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                  Goh Ching Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the reply. I did see the thread of Gossmaer. Having downloaded some free 3rd party software for the burning, but all were failed. Want to know if Nero 9 can do the job.

Ching

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Goh Ching

Heinz approach used by gossamer should have worked, so, whenever you get a chance, maybe give it another try.

But, Nero 9 seems to work, from what I have read. Did you see the very detailed how to on that?

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_avchd_with_nero_burning_rom.cfm

Also, in the future, you might be interested in the work "Phantom Burner" by that very gifted and innovative user Robert J. Johnston.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3896

I am looking forward to your results, so please keep us updated on your progress.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                      manzz7 Level 1

For me, Premiere Elements does NOT work well on Vista 64 in 32 bit compatibility mode. The program freezes up and shuts down when adding media to a project. Adobe support continually told me that  this would be fixed in the next version . . . . alas pre 8 appears to be not different. I will not drop my money on this product until I see/hear evidence that Adobe has successfully dealt with the issue.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

manzz7

It is my understanding that the Adobe party line is that Premiere Elements (a 32 bit application) is not supported by a 64 bit computer system. But we all know that Premiere Elements 7 will run in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system, and there are numerous reports of users who are doing that successfully. A major consideration is that, with Premiere Elements 7 in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system, the max utilization of RAM is 4 GB (addressing down from), even if you have much more RAM than that installed on your computer. If my memory serves me right, typically you see no more than 3 GB RAM allocated per application???

I find it curious that Adobe told you that "the problem would be fixed in the next version." I am just a user such as you and have no insider information, but there has never been any indication that Premiere Elements 8 was going to be a 64 bit application instead of a 32 bit one. So, putting 32 bit and 64 bit considerations aside, what exact problem was going to be fixed in the next version according to the Adobe T/S? What did they say your problem was?

Maybe, if we had more information about your computer resources as well as the media that you are bringing into the Timeline, some could offer suggestions to get you moving forward.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                          manzz7 Level 1

Freezing up and/or crashing when importing or playing clips.

This is the issue that was to be fixed. The freezing issue is pretty common with those of us running Vista 64. There are a couple of pretty big threads in this forum from about a year ago that discuss the issue with PRE 7.

Most of us running Vista 64 are fully aware of the RAM utilization issue. Even 3gbsshould be more than sufficient to run this program successfully.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

manzz7

Thanks for the follow up.

I will find time to check out the issue's history that you referred to.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The full utilization of as much of the 4GB of RAM is important. Most computers have far too many resource robbing programs and Processes loaded and running. These are unnecessary, and should be eliminated, when doing NLE work. This ARTICLE will gvie you some tips on setting up your computer for an NLE session.

For crashes and hangs, this ARTICLE might give you tips on finding "clues" on what is happening at that time, and how to eliminate the problems.

Neither directly address 16-bit vs 32-bit OS's, but will help eliminate other issues, especially with regard to resources.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                manzz7 Level 1

Sounds like an argument for a version of PRE that would allow the full utilization of a system's resources, i.e. 8 gb of RAM, dual or quad processors and a 64 bit OS.

Even with a system running "lite" as you recommended PRE 7 still freezes my 64bit system. These are not BSOD, I've never seen one of those on any of our Vista systems. More of a Foggy White Screen of Coma, where the systems freezes and the system reports the program as "not responding" and then closes the program. Very annoying while trying to add clips to a project.

By the way PRE 7 works fine on my 32 bit, 1.8Ghz 2gb laptop. Which is not my editing machine of choice.

Thanks for the tip on Enditall2.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One does not have to get a BSOD, or even a program crash with a resulting error message, for there to be a trail of "clues" in Event Viewer.

In some instances, users have found that some other program has just successfully launched at the exact moment that the NLE hung. One was a Roxio "sniffer" module. Whenever it launched, during an NLE session, the NLE just stopped responding. There were no error message, though there was a waring message for a module of the NLE. Once that Roxio app. was harnessed, the hangs ceased. It can be like a good Sherlock Holmes novel, with little clues scattered about. Some can be obvious, like error messages, but some can be highly cryptic and seemingly totally unrelated.

I should probably have left "BSOD" out of the title of that article. Maybe I will get Steve G., the MOD here, to change the title as it indicates a more serious instance, and might turn folk away from it, just by that title - my mistake.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - we're all waiting to see if PrPro CS5 will be full 64-bit. Much has been speculated, and Adobe has done multiple surveys on what users want. One set of survey questions indicated that Adobe was looking at a possibly 64-bit-only version, and they were weighing whether enough users would still need 32-bit support. Do not know what those surveys said. If PrPro goes 64-bit (PS already is), then I feel that PrE will soon follow.

If it goes 64-bit-only, get ready for all the 32-bit users to scream bloody murder! Same thing happened when Adobe went full SSE-2, and a lot of older AMD folk were suddenly out in the woods without a map and no way to use the newer programs. The screams still might be ringing and that was years ago.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    Neither directly address 16-bit vs 32-bit OS's,

This should have read "address 32-bit vs 64-bit OS's." I just mistyped. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Hunt

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                      Vgers2

Hello Steve.

I purchased v7 sometime ago to find out that it does not allow the upgrade conversion of my v3 files.  Will v8 convert my v3 files, and my v7 files to the v8 version?

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 8

I would not use version 8 to open version 3 projects. It seems to work okay with version 7 projects however.

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                          Vgers2 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response Steve.

What would you recommend that I use to upgrade my v3 projects to v7?  Can this be done?

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 8

I would recommend that you finish your version 3 projects in version 3. "Upgrading" them can lead to corruptions.

When your project is nearly done, you can export the nearly-complete piece by selecting the timeline and going to File/Export/Movie to export a DV-AVI. DV-AVIs are the universal language of PC based video editors, and you can import that into your newer version of the program for final tweaking if you'd like.

If you have any more questions, I'd recommend you start your own topic in the forum. This thread is getting old and starting to fray.

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                              Vgers2 Level 1

Thanks again Steve.

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

It looks like this was intended for you after all.

So I will do a copy/paste

I would suggest to you that there should NOT be any problem opening a project .prel from an earlier version of Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements 8.

What I suspect may be the case is that you may be actually unsuccessfully trying to force a project .prel into another project .prel. That is to be expected. Check out the following to determine if this works for you.

I have Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8. I do not have version 3, so I used version 2 to obtain a saved project .prel. In addition, I archived that project so that I had a saved Project Archiver Copied Folder with that project .prel with all it’s source media.

First I went to the hard drive save location for the project t.prel (not archived version), right clicked it, and selected Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 8. The project .prel opened without problems.

Next I went to the hard drive save location for the project .prel (archived version), right clicked it, and selected Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 8. The project .prel opened without problems.

If the Premiere Elements 3 project prel really did not open in the later versions, you could have always exported it to DV AVI and brought the DV AVI export into Premiere Elements 8. But, there should be no need for that. Also, if you moved any of the source media for the Premiere Elements 3 project .prel after you saved it, you could be in for some reconnect issues which are a whole other matter.

I have not had a chance to try it, but I believe once you edit a project .prel from an earlier version in a later version, you cannot go back and edit that project .prel in the earlier version.

As I said in your very recent new post on the matter, check it out and see if this works for you in the various versions that you are using

ATR

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 8

I respectfully disagree, Tony. With few exceptions, when I've tried to open older version projects (especially from early versions of the program) with a newer version of the program, I've had problems. Audio gets lost or screwed up. Clips corrupt.

So, if you do decide to do it, be sure to do a Save As and save your opened project as a different name. That way, if things do corrupt, you can always go back to your old version 3 project and open it with version 3.

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements 8
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

You are one of my favorite people, but I must respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

I have never ran into a problem opening a project .prel from an earlier version in a later version (Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8). BUT, granted I do not do that often. And, the impression that your earlier comments left me with was it could not be done. Not recommended and cannot be done are two different things, especially when some do have success opening a project .prel from an earlier version in a later version.

But, I must strongly agree with you on the need for backup, whether it be in this specific matter or when you are working within only one program. There are never enough backups for valuable material (photos, videos, whatever).

If this user tells me that the Premiere Elements 3 project .prel will not open in Premiere Elements 8 and gets an unsupported message, that suggests to be that the wrong route is being used, as I have described. And, I am waiting for feedback on that. BUT, if this user tells me that the Premiere Elements 3 project .prel opens in Premiere Elements 8 and shows evidence of corrupt file(s), that is another matter. I do not believe that was the case as posted by the user originally. And, I am waiting for feedback on that.

We are both basing our observations on first hand experiences which appear to differ. I will standby my comments as posted.

ATR