3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 6:10 AM by Newsgroup_User

probs getting an externally linked FLV file to play. FLVs on same server are OK.

Level 7
      To offset bandwidth issues on a server at work, I wanted to load some FLVs
      on an external site; i.e., like embedding a YouTube video on your own site.
      The people at my work don't want to use YouTube or similar services as they
      want a brand/bug from another service to appear on the video, so that's not
      an option.

I've got my external site setup and have tested the video there - it loads
      up and plays fine. I've setup things on my main site and FLVs hosted on that
      server play fine, too. It just seems that it's with a file that I give a
      full HTTP address to that aren't playing. I've used DW's Insert | Media |
      Flash Video routine.

A sample/test page can be found here: http://www.metrostlouis.org/videotest/
      this page has a link to the site the file is hosted on to show that it plays
      OK there. It also has a link to an FLV on the same server as the page is
      located. The first FLV, though, is the one in question where I've given the
      full path to the file. Obviously, I've overlooked something and I'm just not
      seeing the forest for the trees. Any pointers as to what I'm missing would
      be appreciated.

Hunter

• 1. Re: probs getting an externally linked FLV file to play. FLVs on same server are OK.
          Level 7
          as an addendum, the main server is Win2003 and I *have* already added the
          FLV mime type to the definitions for the Site *and* the local computer
          server as specified in tech ID: tn_19439 /
          http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_19439&sliceId=2

• 2. Re: probs getting an externally linked FLV file to play. FLVs on same server are OK.
            Level 7

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
            news:g6l6ci$jo0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > To offset bandwidth issues on a server at work, I wanted to load some FLVs
            > on an external site; i.e., like embedding a YouTube video on your own
            > site. The people at my work don't want to use YouTube or similar services
            > as they want a brand/bug from another service to appear on the video, so
            > that's not an option.
            >
            > I've got my external site setup and have tested the video there - it loads
            > up and plays fine. I've setup things on my main site and FLVs hosted on
            > that server play fine, too. It just seems that it's with a file that I
            > give a full HTTP address to that aren't playing. I've used DW's Insert |
            > Media | Flash Video routine.
            >
            > A sample/test page can be found here:
            > http://www.metrostlouis.org/videotest/
            > this page has a link to the site the file is hosted on to show that it
            > plays OK there. It also has a link to an FLV on the same server as the
            > page is located. The first FLV, though, is the one in question where I've
            > given the full path to the file. Obviously, I've overlooked something and
            > I'm just not seeing the forest for the trees. Any pointers as to what I'm
            > missing would be appreciated.

I had hoped someone would have known of a way to get this to work, but not
            every question has an answer. :) So far the only thing I've gotten to work
            this way is to do it via an iFrame. If someone knows of a better/more
            elegant way, please let me know!

• 3. Re: probs getting an externally linked FLV file to play. FLVs on same server are OK.
              Level 7

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
              news:g6l6ci$jo0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > To offset bandwidth issues on a server at work, I wanted to load some FLVs
              > on an external site; i.e., like embedding a YouTube video on your own
              > site. The people at my work don't want to use YouTube or similar services
              > as they want a brand/bug from another service to appear on the video, so
              > that's not an option.
              >
              > I've got my external site setup and have tested the video there - it loads
              > up and plays fine. I've setup things on my main site and FLVs hosted on
              > that server play fine, too. It just seems that it's with a file that I
              > give a full HTTP address to that aren't playing. I've used DW's Insert |
              > Media | Flash Video routine.

I did find a work around for this for anyone else in this situation. I did
              try editing the DW-generated code to point to items at the other server and
              I don't know what I "missed", but I could never get it to work.

I searched around and found some various solutions that did work; in the
              end, I chose to use this method...
              http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player