• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What type of content is more likely to cause Captivate to crash when publishing?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until recently I've been a relatively happy user of captivate for creating instructional materials - max 20 slides, audio, images, text and question slides.

Now I am finding that richer media is causing the programe to freeze on export or project preview. Currently I have a project for example with

- an embedded flash video

- several instances of animated text

- embedded swf animations (a box containing an approx 300 word scrolling text)

only 9 slides in the project

AS3, Flash 9

what seems to happen is previewing the project multiple times gradually corrupts the project somehow and after five or six previews it either freezes and crashes while trying to preview or publish the project.

The suggestion to copy and paste all the slides into a blank project was very helpful as it did work BUT of course this new project doesn't have all the same settings and loses the internal linking. Result - fixes + previews = crashing again.  Very very frustrating.

Either

- there are a couple of settings I can watch out for to avoid or minimise this

-  I cut out the rich media (no good from an instructional perspective)

- I limit certain types of media

or...?

Grateful for any help

Paul

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were you I would drop the animation text parts. I have encountered quite a few issues with text animations and projects published with AS3.

I recently did some work for a client that had a massive course that had a lot of text animations and was published as AS3. All of the sudden none of their Captivate files worked any more and they couldn't view, preview or publish anything. The fix was to remove all the text animations and then the course worked perfectly well again.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael,

that's really helpful to know - if painful to accept

The client was quite excited about the possibilities of having a flash video side by side with scrolling tapescript (essential for non-English speakers to follow the content) but I guess we are in workaround country.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In reading this thread it seems to me that you are each talking about different things. Paul seems to be talking about a Flash Animation (recorded using who knows what) that contains an area of scrolling text. Michael appears to be talking about Text Animations one may insert using Captivate.

If Michael's suggestion works for you, that's terrific and I'm pleased to see it solved the issue. But I remain a bit skeptical given that you seem to be talking about different things.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick you are right. I am talking about the text animations from Captivate. Now that I read the post again I see that most likely Paul is talking about some externally developed flash animations containing some scrolling text.

Then it shouldn't be a problem at all to have that Flash content in the course. The problems I experienced are only related to the text animation feature in Captivate itself.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi both

yes, thanks for pointing that out Rick. When you said 'text animation' Michael, I got confused as I was thinking of the 'dynamic text' feature in Flash which is used to get scrolling text in a swf.

I have been doing different types of diagnostics and I am beginning to suspect that the villain isnt the media I've been embedding (either flash movie or scrolling text inside a swf) but the overlayered table of contents. I didn't mention this before as I assumed that it was a standard part of the program.

Looks like if I don't enable the table of contents - a shame as it allows for a lot more learner autonomy - my projects work (3 out of 3 attempts haven't yet produced a crash on exporting ..)

Could that be it? Any comments on menus / table of contents making projects unstable?

Best

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources