8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 6:05 AM by Roy McCoy

Preview check box

blahblub6

Hi, I'm sure there's a simple way to do this that I just don't know about (somewhat new to AI). When I'm using the "scale" dialog box to scale an object, or "rotate", or the "round corners" function (just to name a few), the "preview" check box is always unchecked as a default. Is there a way to permanently make it checked so that I don't have to constantly check it everytime? It would seem that being checked would be the default instead, but in my version of AI it is unchecked (CS4 on a Mac). 

Also, when using something like the "round corners" dialog, even with the preview button checked, if you make a change to the radius measurement, you then have to uncheck and check the preview box again for the change to register, ie. to actually see the accurate/updated preview. This seems like a huge timewaster and it gets rather annoying after a while. Is there a better way to do this, or a way to make the changes show up without having to uncheck/check everytime? Thanks in advance for any insight.

• 1. Re: Preview check box
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4
          Is there a way to permanently make it checked so that I don't have to constantly check it everytime?

I'm unaware of any way to do that. Sorry. Perhaps someone else here knows of a way.

It would seem that being checked would be the default instead...

I agree. It might have to do with the rendering time required for complex effects/paths.

Is there a better way to do this, or a way to make the changes show up without having to uncheck/check everytime?

Yes. After updating a variable, hit the Enter or Tab key.

• 2. Re: Preview check box
            Joe Paris Level 3

Yes, I think the default is OFF because certain operations (3D and Blur come to mind) might land you with a long wait, freeze or a crash during rendering.

• 3. Re: Preview check box
              Harron K. Appleman Level 4
              I think the default is OFF because certain operations... might land you with a long wait, freeze or a crash during rendering.

I love it. Adobe programmers are always looking out for our best interests.

• 4. Re: Preview check box
                PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Oh, wait …is that sarcasm I smell?

• 5. Re: Preview check box
                  blahblub6 Level 1

Oh well, it would be nice if Adobe would at least make this a preference for folks like myself that don't have much occasion to use complex effects, just the simple stuff, that way I could keep it permanently checked. Thanks anyway for the insight, especially the Enter or Tab key solution, that should at least speeds things up a little bit.

• 6. Re: Preview check box
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

blahblub,

It may be disturbing to have the behaviour you are wishing because the original size/shape would disappear as soon as you had entered one (possibly among several, thus not having finished the change) non default value. I should still prefer ticking and unticking for comparison; at least in 10 you can see one size/shape along with the other bounding box.

• 7. Re: Preview check box
                      blahblub6 Level 1

Hi Jacob, I guess I can understand your point, but I guess my issue is that this doesn't seem to be a problem in Photoshop (the program that I prefer to work in), when you go to transform an object there, you automatically see the transformation in real time without having to check or uncheck any boxes. This doesn't seem to be a problem in my mind, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I just wish that Adobe's programs would mirror each other a little more instead of having these quirky differences.

And don't even get me started on the fact that in Illustrator, horizontal scaling of a typeface is on the lefthand side of the character palette, but in ID and PS it is on the right-hand side, ie. flopped. Argh! I wish Adobe would realize that for some people (I can't speak for everyone obviously), it's about muscle memory and knowing where something is and not having to constantly look to see if you're plugging values into the correct field. But that's a whole nother issue...

• 8. Re: Preview check box
                        Roy McCoy Level 1

I found this discussion while looking for an answer to the same question for InDesign, which I hadn't found an answer for elsewhere. Since none appeared here either, I gave up on an Adobe solution after filing a feature request on this and tried activating the checkbox using QuicKeys (http://startly.com/, demo available technically for 30 days but I think that's extendable). It didn't work at first, but finally yes. I had to activate Show Advanced Features in the QuicKeys preferences (temporarily, because it makes the entries twice as high), and change On Step Failure in Step Results from Show Dialog to Do Not Nofify. It will be something of a nuisance to get a QK shortcut made for every InDesign dialog with a preview checkbox (assigning each to the same shortcut the dialog has in InDesign), but it will finally be worth it to be rid of the greater and more time-consuming annoyance of having to repeatedly check Preview. This is a satisfactory answer to the question for me, and I hope it will be for others as well.

Roy McCoy

Rotterdam, NL