5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 1:40 PM by pixlor

Working with HOT colors

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to edit some plastic products but I am having trouble matching the colors with fireworks. Hot pink looks almost purple and I am not able to get it to look like hot pink. Does anyone have some advice?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Working with HOT colors
          pixlor Level 4

What are you editing? What is it you're trying to match? How are you selecting the colors?

Give a brief description of how you're going about things. "I open this file...that comes from..." ?

• 2. Re: Working with HOT colors
            EdgarM87 Level 1

I am editing a plastic headband. I have a raw image of just a headband in Hot Pink (Bright/Highlighter Pink). I have tried a mixture of changing color hues, levels, and different curves. In the end it still looks too dark and I cant get that "bright" pink to come out. Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Working with HOT colors
              pixlor Level 4

Ah. You're trying to edit some photos of plastic products, to get them to represent the objects more accurately, and you're having trouble correcting the colors.

By "I have a raw image," do you mean a "camera raw" image? If so, then Photoshop's Camera Raw functionality would probably be the better program to use for initial processing. Are the images camera raw files or are they .jpg files? Are they .psd files? If you have .psd files then you might have a color profile problem (see http://www.viget.com/inspire/save-for-web-simply/).

How were the photos taken? If the images are too dark, perhaps the lighting was not good? Were the photos taken by a professional photographer who is experienced with product photography, using professional lighting and a good quality camera? Were the photos taken by an amateur with a point-and-shoot camera under room lights? What you start out with makes a difference.

Also, in order to do precise color corrections, your equipment needs to be high-quality, too. Is your monitor calibrated or a high-end professional monitor? If it isn't, then you might get the colors to look right on your monitor, only to find they don't look right on another monitor and you won't know which is correct. (Maybe the photo is fine, and it's your monitor that is too dark.)

Fireworks does not have the range of tools that Photoshop does, but Photoshop is intended as a photo workshop, and Fireworks isn't. You might read some of the tutorials on color correction for Photoshop, and see if you can apply any of the methods. There are dozens out there:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=photoshop+tutorial+color+correction&aq=f&oq =&aqi=g10

Finally, can you post the image or a portion of it? Use the Insert Image control (camera icon), just to the left of the smilie control. That way, people can offer advice that is specific to the problem you have.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Working with HOT colors
                EdgarM87 Level 1

I am using a camera raw image. Sorry I was not too specific. The files are PNG and get converted to .jpg. You're right, the camera lens and the lighting do have a big effect on the image but I am working with a professional photographer. However, my monitor is not a high end monitor. Again, thank you for your help and the links. This is very useful information.

• 5. Re: Working with HOT colors
                  pixlor Level 4

Good luck then!

If you're working with a professional photographer, I would recommend that you view the images on some other monitors. When my beloved NEC CRT started to die, my hubby had me try his new LCD. It was a pretty good business-class monitor, but the color accuracy wasn't good enough for me. My desktop at the time was a dog, in browns, and the monitor displayed it with a decided green cast. I couldn't adjust it to my satisfaction. I ended up getting a lower-end EIZO. Since I don't do precision color work, I don't worry about keeping it calibrated beyond the factory calibration. It has excellent color and brightness range, though. I've been very happy with it. If you are going to do professional color work, you should probably look into a professional graphics monitor. LaCie and EIZO are two companies I know of that make them.