1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 2:50 AM by jptech-ryan

building a desktop app - use AIR or not?

Naija Guy

Hello, I'm guessing that the keyword "desktop" would make you recommend I use Adobe AIR if I'm building with Flex.  Basically, we're building a desktop application that will occasionally sync with the server where a separate but related application resides.  Most of the time, the desktop app needs to be able to function with or without network connectivity. 

So far, we have begun by playing with Flex and running it in a browser on a local machine.  We could simply use XML files for local storage instead of a database, and it seems like we can get a fair amount of functionality implemented this way.  However, I'm wondering if we should definitely be using AIR instead. 

I'm coming with a server-side Java background, so I'm also trying to figure out how people write the business layer in this world (the business logic tier in between the presentation and data/service layers).  A lot of places I'm finding online keeping talking about Flex being for presentation only, but with an Adobe AIR app, do people often write business objects that sit between the GUI components and the database?  In some of the AIR programming guides, I'm not seeing any mention of that.

I'm trying to make a case for AIR, so I need a little bit of help from you...

Thanks!

• 1. Re: building a desktop app - use AIR or not?
          jptech-ryan Level 1

I'm coming with a server-side Java background, so I'm also trying to figure out how people write the business layer in this world (the business logic tier in between the presentation and data/service layers).  A lot of places I'm finding online keeping talking about Flex being for presentation only, but with an Adobe AIR app, do people often write business objects that sit between the GUI components and the database?  In some of the AIR programming guides, I'm not seeing any mention of that.

I'd like to add a "me too" to this.  I haven't done a lot of research into AIR yet and it's not immidiately obvious what's involved with getting offline functionality.  I think I basically have the same question as the OP; do I end up (re)writing a bunch of business logic in the Flex client (I don't want to).

I'm still using Java EE on the server for a (business logic) data access layer.  Specifically, I'm using a DTO inheritance strategy and setting up to auto-generate (mirror) .as DTOs with (Maven) flexmojos (I think flexmojos uses GraniteDS, but I use BlazeDS - the code generation tool shouldn't matter AFAIK).  So far, I'm quite happy with how the whole setup works.  However, I'd love to hear what kind of Java + Flex + AIR development strategies others have been finding successful since a significant portion of the online resources and documentation I've found tend to be somewhat trivialized.

I hope I'm not hi-jacking the OPs question here (if so, I apologize), but what I'd like to know is if AIR is capable of any 'for free' type offline capabilities (like the way BlazeDS and LCDS 'just work').

Ryan