7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 8:50 AM by Jim_Simon

File is not valid MPEG.

Casey Z.

I can provide pictures or a sreen capt if you need...

What i am trying to do is re-export the vodeo portion of my project from premiere to encore so i can replace the video in a dvd but not the audio and the menus. To do this i opened up the origional project in premiere pro cs4 and exported the video as a .m2v (MPEG2-DVD). Once that had encoded i replaced the origional video file in encore cs4. It plays, previews, and there are not errors when i check the project. When i go to export it to a dvd it gives me the "File is not valid MPEG." error.

Thanks for your time and the help

• 1. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Wrong export setting. Make it easy on yourself, export video only to DV AVI, import into Encore and let Encore handle it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In Encore, what was the exact method (step-by-step), that you used to replace the Asset. This can be very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
              Casey Z. Level 1

But then would i have to re edit the dvd menu?

• 4. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                But then would i have to re edit the dvd menu?

Casey,

You are loosing me here. If you are only replacing the Video Asset, the Menu should not figure into the equation.

The exact steps that you are using to replace that Asset in En could well hold the key. These steps can be very important.

Since you have done the Encore Project before, with other Assets, have you flushed your Media Cache in En? That would be my first step.

Now, are you trying to Import maybe a 16:9 Asset into a 4:3 En Project? That could spell trouble.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to other questions, what are the exact specs. of your MPEG Export?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
                    Casey Z. Level 1

Thanks for your help so far!

I think this will clear up everythhing: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2w6l1v (45 mb)

I can also do it on a streaming site it just will not look as good.

Thanks for your help,

Casey

• 7. Re: File is not valid MPEG.
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The issue is an Encore problem.  When you export using an MPEG2-DVD preset out of Premiere, it creates the .xmpses file which contains Chapter and other information about the MPEG file.  Bringing the exported MPEG video into Encore creates no issues.  However, once you try and replace that MPEG with another, one that was not created in conjunction with the original .xmpses file, Encore throws out the "Not a Valid MPEG" error.

The only solution is to remove the .xmpses file from the exported folder before you import the MPEG into Encore.  That way you will be able to replace the MPEG as you please.  Unfortunately, this does mean you lose all relevant chapter information.  And it only works when the asset is first imported, which means you'll have to remove all your MPEG assets and reimport them fresh, making sure there is no associated .xmpses files in the same folder.