15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 8:22 AM by John T Smith

Why the Asus P6T?

ambisinistrous

I'm building a new rig (or upgrading an old one, depending on how you look at it), and came here to check out what people are saying.  It looks like the Asus P6T is the mobo of choice for many users.

Why is that? Are there other leading contenders for Bloomfield chip mobotherboards in Premeire editing machines?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There are many with X58 mobo's: AS Rock, Asus, EVGA, Foxconn, Gigabyte, Intel, MSI, SuperMicro and the like.

It usually is a choice of availability, price, reputation, features and previous experiences with a certain brand that point you in a certain direction. It is highly personal and I can only tell you about my own experiences. I have used only Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS in single socket mobo's and SuperMicro in dual socket mobo's, apart from Dell. Intel is usually less flexible or has less features than the other brands. I have not had any problems in the past with any of these, so why look at AS Rock or Foxconn. Mind you, I don't believe these are bad choices, it is just the combination of features, price, availability that led me to the P6T WS Pro. If you look at tests on AnandTech or Tom'sHardware, there is not much difference in performance. The layout may be slightly different leading you to one or the other mobo, the capacitors may strengthen that direction, but it still remains highly personal.

• 2. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
            ambisinistrous Level 1

Thanks for the detailed answer, Harm.

>it is just the combination of features, price, availability that led me to the P6T WS Pro.

What are the features that you value in this board?

• 3. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

No IDE, since I don't need that, the Marvell chipset with the 2 SAS ports, the good capacitors, the easy overclocking capability, the good physical postion of the PCIe slots, the dual NIC's, the dual firewire ports, the 5 fan connectors and the on-board sound. In combination with good availability and attractive pricing all those factors combined made it my preference.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                Jim_Simon Level 9

I chose the P6T SE myself because I've had excellent experience with Asus, the features were what I needed and the price was right.

• 5. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is actually a confirmation of my previous answer. Glad you agree with me, Jim.

• 6. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For me, the P6 has 6 ram slots so I can go to 12gig using reasonable price 2Gig sticks instead of very expensive 4gig sticks

Plus, I need to keep using my Pinnacle Dv500 card for analog video captures and MAY need to use a sound card... so the arrangement of the pci slots fits my needs

I do NOT plan to overclock, so that capability is not part of my decision making

• 7. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                      Jim_Simon Level 9
                      I need to keep using my Pinnacle Dv500 card for analog video captures

I still think you should seriously consider the ADVC-110 with a single OS installed.  It'll work perfectly fine, and make your life easier.

• 8. Re: Why the Asus P6T?

If my old Dv500 card won't work with a dual boot Win2000/Win7 setup for the P6 motherboard, I will have to buy an external device (but, I would get the 300 model since some of what I'm doing is converting OLD vhs movies to dvd before they stop playing) but since I'm on a budget, I'm going to try the Dv500 first since it is paid for and works perfectly with my OLD tapes

• 9. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                          ambisinistrous Level 1

Great info here, thanks everyone.

John, why the dual boot scenario?

• 10. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                            ambisinistrous Level 1

Anyone here actually using the PCI-X slots on the WS?

Those seem like a waste, at least for me: I don't have any PCI-X cards already, and as far as I know, PCI-e has replaced PCI-X in any new hardware I might want to get.

Is there a reason someone might want PCI-X slots that I haven't considered?

• 11. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

There are a number of low budget raid controllers that are exclusively PCI-X, although these are slowly being phased out. In some cases it may also be required to add a PCI-X firewire card with 2 FW800 and 1 FW400 ports to your system.

• 12. Re: Why the Asus P6T?

ambisinistrous wrote:

John, why the dual boot scenario?

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

The Pinnacle Dv500 I use requires Premiere 6 to operate, and P6 is so old it would not work in WinXp... and even if P6 would work in Win7, I doubt the Dv500 device drivers would work (might... but with really old software, nothing is assured)

Dual booting Win2k/WinXp works... so I plan to do the same with Win2k/Win7 to be able to use the Dv500

If that doesn't work 'cause Win2k doesn't like the Asus P6 motherboard, I'll have to look at buying an external http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/ADVC300/index.php - but since I'm already going to be buying other new equipment and software, I'm going to try the Dv500 first

• 13. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                                  ambisinistrous Level 1

Funny you should say that, Harm; I was just wondering how many people use the motherboard's FW port for capture.I've been using NLEs for 9 years, but haven't built one from a PC in 6 years. Lots of small things keep coming up like this that I simply don't know.

Ugh, John, I feel your pain. Shame you have to go to so much work to use a perfectly good piece of hardware.

• 14. Re: Why the Asus P6T?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 9

I still think the ADVC-110 will do as good a job as the DV500, and will be worth the cost given the simplification it will bring.

• 15. Re: Why the Asus P6T?

Well... "worth the cost" will depend on your budget... and mine is small

I have to buy all new hardware to build an i7 computer (other than seeing if the Dv500 will work in the new motherboard) and am also looking at CS5, if it is 64bit, for a bit over $500 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/496667?tstart=0 so saving where I can is important

I already own Win2000 and the Dv500, so all I lose is a few hours of install and test time... and then IF it won't work (it should, but it was designed several motherboard generations ago) I will look at an external device... IF I have to buy external, it won't be the 110 model, it will be the 300

Old forum message, now gone, but here's the summary - "Matt with Grass Valley Canopus in their tech support department stated that the 110 will suffice for most hobbyist. If a person has a lot of tapes that were played often the tape stretches and the magnetic coding diminishes. If your goal is to encode tapes in good shape buy the 110, if you will be encoding old tapes of poor quality buy the 300"