8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 5:19 PM by kirkfrey

Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?

speede541

I'm excited about the release of version 8 of PSE and PE, but my big unanswered question is stated in the subject line: will Premiere Elements 8 natively support the MP4 files produced by my Samsung HMX-H104 ?

I've been entirely unsuccessful with this file format and PE7.

I've read throught the product descriptions and FAQ and Adobe makes reference to cameras from flash-drive camcorders, but doesn't offer any specifics. Native support looks like a crapshoot. Anybody with some insight to contribute?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This camcorder appears to record true AVCHD video, so you can edit video from that cam natively in Premiere Elements 7/8.

Unfortunately, I can't find confirmation on the Samsung site that the camcorder records in AVCHD -- and that can make a big difference! Not all MP4s are AVCHD! And flash-memory cams tend to use other mp4 formats that can be very challenging to video editing software.

So, if it is an AVCHD cam, yes. If just an MP4 cam, no.

The other part of the equation is that AVCHD video takes A LOT of computer power to edit. And most editors doing it are using quad core processors with 4 gigs of RAM. So you may find it frustrating to even edit AVCHD in an older, slower or laptop computer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?

Follow-up:

This site says that it records to a format SIMILAR to AVCHD -- which is not a good indicator of compatibility....

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?
              speede541 Level 1

Thanks for pointing that out -- yeah, I see my error. I just did a little bit of web searching and it's not AVCHD. This seems to pretty well summarize it:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Samsung-SC-HMX10-Camcorder-Review-34476/Format.htm

"The Samsung ... outputs video in the H.264/MPEG-4 format (the file extension is .MP4). This highly-compressed video codec should not be confused with the competing AVCHD format. AVCHD is a type of H.264/MPEG-4 codec, but the version Samsung employs is different, with both benefits and drawbacks.

"...the MPEG-4 video ... is adequate. ... this type of MPEG-4 is space efficient and less processor-intensive to edit than AVCHD."

...and...

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Samsung-HMX-H105-First-Impressions-Camcorder-Review-3 6130/Compression-amp-Media.htm

"The Samsung HMX-H105 records video in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format, the same as models from the previous years. MPEG-4 has clearly been adopted as the format of choice for HD camcorders, split into two camps. Sony, Canon, Panasonic, and most recently JVC, all use AVCHD, which is a subset of AVC/H.264. AVCHD experienced some serious stumbling blocks in its first few years, as existing hardware and software choked on the heavy data loads. It has, however, gotten much better in the past year. AVC/H.264 is also data-heavy, at least compared to old standard definition camcorders, but the format is easier to read. QuickTime can work perfectly with the files, and has the benefit of being free and dual-platform."

I know this aspect has all been covered to death on these forums in the past, with respect to PE7 (which chokes on any Samsung .MP4 file I throw at it). While I've bookmarked the workaround posted by you in this thread (thanks!), I was hoping to avoid the extra steps à la native compatability with PE8.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?

Unfortunately, the odds aren't with you, speed. But someone may chime in with a near-painless solution at some point.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

"QuickTime can work perfectly with the files, and has the benefit of being free and dual-platform."

Based on this statment, one method would be to use QuickTime Player Pro (~US$30 upgrade/unlock) to do a rough edit. You could then Export from QT Pro with the Apple H.264 for final editing in PrE. I hesitate to recommend this because the material is heavily compressed to start off and to Export with another compression to get it into PrE will not benefit you, quality-wise.

Unfortunately, as camera mfgr's. struggle to get the most material onto the recording medium, they are pushing the boundries of what common NLE programs can work with. The mfgr's. are not considering that the user might wish to edit the footage - only play it back, or upload it in full form to the Internet, or similar. Their CODEC's and formats are out in front of the NLE software, and the companies, like Adobe have to do code rewriting, to accommodate such. Before investing in that process, they have to determine if the market exists to make it worth the time and money. Adoption of new formats/CODEC's will always lag behind the recording medium. Whether PrE 8 will have the capabilities to edit this material natively, only the trial can tell. Even people, such as Steve, who write the books, are not likely to have every conceivable camera/format/CODEC available to even test them all. Adobe's marketing department can also not be counted on to get it 100% correct - they are marketing, after all, and not engineering. The engineers might tell them that PrE 8 works fine with AVCHD, but they'd likely not know that this is NOT full AVCHD, and instead a hybrid. Only testing will tell you if the engineers did get this one into the code.

Now, back to PrE "choking" on these files - what exactly happens, when you do Import and try to edit these? There might be something that can be altered in the workflow, that would allow you to edit, without having to "convert" along the lines.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?
                    speede541 Level 1

By "choking" I mean that I import the file and drop it into the timeline, and as it's loading PE7 gives me an error message and closes.

Sorry this isn't very descriptive -- I intended to go home and write down the exact error message (but didn't get to it). I'll update this thread in the next day or so when I'm home again.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That error message might yield a clue - or maybe not. This ARTICLE might be helpful in gathering more clues.

This ARTICLE might be useful at eliminating unnecessary programs and Processes, while editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & native support for Samsung AVCHD MP4 video?
                        kirkfrey

It seems that the Organizer still isn't able to show thumbnails of AVCHD files (I have a Sony HDR-SR5).  I thought there was a work around for this in PRE7 but would have hoped that it was "fixed" in a full new version.