6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 9:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Playback problem

Buckeye101

I have a Canon HG21 camcorder.  I've just burned my first DVD after some light editing with APE7.  Although the Panasonic DVD player indicates that it supports all types of disks (DVD-R, DVD - RW, etc) it tells me the disk is not formatted correctly.  I reformatted the disk & re-burned the file with the same result.  Any suggestions ?? 

• 2. Re: Playback problem
          Buckeye101 Level 1

Yes, APE7 = Adobe Premiere Elements 7.

• 3. Re: Playback problem
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You say your DVD burner will work with DVD-R and DVD-RW -- but you're not using DVD+Rs, are you?

If you're getting these types of messages, it's not related to Premiere Elements. It's something going on between your burner and your DVD media.

• 4. Re: Playback problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              it tells me the disk is not formatted correctly.  I reformatted the disk & re-burned the file with the same result.

What exact type of media, and also the brand, are you using here?

For some players, the "+" and "-" can make a difference. Newer players do not seem as prone to those differences, but they do still exist.

Does your burned disc play on your computer through a DVD software player?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Playback problem
                Buckeye101 Level 1

OK.  I'm recording to a Memorex DVD+RW  4x 4.7 GB 120 min.  My Panasonic DVD player says that it supports that media - as well as DVD-RW, etc.  I can play the DVD back through the computer - just not through the DVD player.

Something else that I can't figure out, I have no sound when I am editing.  I do have sound when playing back the DVD through the computer.  (sorry for adding to the issues - I appreciate the help)  The computer is new - I did have sound when editing with my other computer.

• 6. Re: Playback problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Since this disc plays elsewhere, it is likely an incompatibility with the set-top player and that media.

Memorex is about the worst possible brand choice. They buy in bulk from the lowest bidder, and there may be a couple of different media in a 10 disc. spindle.

I am a big fan of Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media.

Also, realize that no set-top player is required to play ANY burned disc. Most do, if burned properly, but many will not play any burned disc.

I also use +RW media, but only as a test, to keep from burning "coasters." I never use any rewritable for delivery. To date, I've never had an issue with any of my test players not playing a Verbatim RW disc. In your case, you might want to do a test burn to a non-rewritable disc, and test that with your set-top player.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful