6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 11:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4

gasport

I am new to using PE and have an old version which I never used.   I have tried to do this with Roxio Creator 2009, Nero 9, and Studio 9 with no luck.

I captured a video from a Canon ZR 45.  I contains 2 actual sessions which I would like to make into 2 separate videos.   I can find no way to actually just split at the point I want and save the avi file into 2 separate files.   I also want to take one of the sessions and split it up into multiple sessions to load on facebook.   I have read some suggestions using PE 7, but I am not sure they work on PE 4 that I am using.

Here is basically what I want to do.

Split the origiona 12 GB avi capture file into 2 files.

Take the first session (23 minutes) and split that into smaller sessions (files) so I can do something different with each.

Any suggestions or recommendation for other software that can do this?

I do not want to get PE 8 unless I can get this to work...

• 1. Re: Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's assume that you have done the Capture from your Canon and have the AVI's in both your Project Panel, and have placed those onto your Timeline. When you have edited out everything that you do not want, and have your Timeline exactly, as you wish, you need to Export/Share.

To do this segmentally, you need to use the WAB (Work Area Bar), placing it's In Point, where you wish your Exported movie to start, and its Out Point where you wish the movie to end. When you go to Export/Share, you will limit that Export to WAB only. Here's a look at the WAB:

WAB_Duration_01.jpg

For your multi-segment movie, you'll do the same, but the Duration of the WAB will just be smaller for each Export/Share.

Now, I do not know what the requirements of Facebook are, and there might be formats that would be required, that do not allow you to Export with the WAB. If this is the case, just Export/Share to DV-AVI as, say 4 individual files (w/ the WAB), and then Do 4 new Projects, using Get Media for each of your 4 AVI files, one at a time. Then you can Export/Share your entire Timeline to that necessary format, one at a time.

Good luck, and if any of this is not clear, just let us know,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4
            gasport Level 1

Hunt,

I need to do a lot of reading...Any suggested books?

I am stuck on setting the in and out points.  I have the section I want to test and can move the timeline marker but see no option to mark as in and out, only as numbered or unnumbered.  When I do the export using only segments I numbered, I get the whole movie.   I lknow I am missing something simple....

• 3. Re: Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I can recommend Steve Grisetti's Muvipix book on PrE 7.

For setting the In & Out Points on the WAB, just drag the little "brackets" on the WAB. If you cannot see them, hit the \ (Backslash key), to zoom out on the Timeline, move the brackets on the WAB, and then zoom back in to critically adjust them.

When done, you can Dbl-click on the little knurled square in the middle of the WAB to expand it back to cover the entire Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a bit closer look at the WAB, set to a small portion of the Timeline:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4
                  gasport Level 1

A picture is worth a K words as they say.... I finally found them.  They are so small I never noticed.  I did double click on the segment I wanted and it brought up a larger preview window with the in and out selectors. See attached.

Thanks again for your help and recommendation.  I see your recommended author is coming out with a new version for PE 8....

• 6. Re: Split an AVI movie into several segments in PE 4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I did double click on the segment I wanted and it brought up a larger preview window with the in and out selectors. See attached.

Now, it appears that the "markers" depicted in your screen-cap are the In & Out Points for a Clip in the Source Monitor. These are different than the WAB. You probably know that, but I wanted to make sure that saw the differences. Both a Clip in the Source Monitor and also the WAB in the Timeline, have In & Out Points and they are completely different.

Good luck,

Hunt