9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 6:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

How can I insert a downloadable folder?

fencheltea
      Hi, I'm creating a website for an artist and I want to set up a page where users can download folders that contain larger (ie, higher resolution) versions of images along with their associated exhibition information in a word file.

For example i would like to have an image thumbnail which, when you click on it, gives you the option to download and save a folder containing the larger image and the word file.

Can anyone tell me how i can do this? Is this sort of thing called dynamic content?

I want to to keep it as straightforward as possible because eventually the artist himself will be adding files for download to the page.

Thanks - Wendy
        • 1. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
          tci-ed Level 1
          Have you tried creating a compressed file (using winzip for example the file would be called something like pictuires.zip). Your visitors will need winzip or other compression software to opewn it, but Windows XP has it's own built in 'zip' folders as well so most people nowdays would be able to open them.

Works great for me.

• 2. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
            fencheltea Level 1
            I would prefer not to have to use winzip files. I would like to set up a link that when clicked opens a prompt to download and save a folder.

Can you help me with this?

thanks
            • 3. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
              Level 7
              fencheltea wrote:
              > I would prefer not to have to use winzip files. I would like to set up a link that when clicked opens a prompt to download and save a folder.
              >
              > Can you help me with this?
              >
              > thanks

You can't download folders, only files can be downloaded.

Steve
              • 4. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
                Level 7

"fencheltea" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g6k173$a71$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I would prefer not to have to use winzip files. I would like to set up a
                >link that when clicked opens a prompt to download and save a folder.

As "Dooza" said, you can't do that. What's wrong with using zipped files? A
                user would have to be really clueless or be on a really ancient computer to
                not be able to handle them.

--
                Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                --

• 5. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
                  fencheltea Level 1
                  ok, thanks for that important info.

But i would still like to be able to create a file download/save prompt instead of using zipped files. Are you able to tell me how i can do this?

thanks heaps

• 6. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
                    Level 7
                    fencheltea wrote:
                    > ok, thanks for that important info.
                    >
                    > But i would still like to be able to create a file download/save prompt instead of using zipped files. Are you able to tell me how i can do this?
                    >
                    > thanks heaps

It is much safer to use a zip file, as your server will know what it is,
                    and that is to be downloaded, and the browser will know what it is and
                    save it, rather than maybe trying to open it.

Just create a link, like any other, and instead of pointing the link at
                    an HTML file just point it at the file you want the user to download.

Steve
                    • 7. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
                      Level 7
                      .oO(fencheltea)

>But i would still like to be able to create a file download/save prompt

Happens automatically. Just link to the ZIP:

<a href="pictures.zip">Some Pictures [filesize]</a>

That's all.

>instead of using zipped files.

As said - for downloading multiple files at once they have to be packed
                      together. The most common and easiest format for this is ZIP.

Micha
                      • 8. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
                        fencheltea Level 1
                        ok, i agree that it is the best option.
                        Thanks for your help with this!
                        • 9. Re: How can I insert a downloadable folder?
                          Level 7

"fencheltea" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:g6kcrv$ljo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > ok, thanks for that important info.
                          >
                          > But i would still like to be able to create a file download/save prompt
                          > instead of using zipped files. Are you able to tell me how i can do this?

To download/save a folder? You can't, as we keep saying. That's why we keep
                          recommending using a zip file, which is how it's commonly done.

--
                          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                          --