14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 8:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?

Tom Nickel

Hello all!

I've been doing a lot of editing in the time-line.  I'm editing two concurrent video tracks, and three concurrent audio tracks.

Whenever I split or delete portions of a clip, Premiere re-draws the tracks which takes several seconds (maybe 7 seconds or so?).

I know it doesn't seem to be a lot of time, but I am making many edits and it slows me down.

I know that if one "turns-off" the fancy graphics that display little video pictures and audio waveform displays that this screen refresh goes faster.

But is there some I should be setting to optimize my computer specific to screen refresh? 

I believe I have mucho RAM, 500 gig of "extra" disk space, a fast dual core processor and am running Windows XP.

My project is located on a secondary drive.

Would a fancy video card help speed up the screen refresh?

Thanks!

--Tom Nickel

• 1. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely not. Most of the performance the program displays comes from the processor and RAM.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "mucho RAM" -- but these days that generally means from 2 to 4 gigabytes or more. You also don't mention your processor speed, but current processors are dual cores, quad cores and "i" processors. Likewise, it can make a difference if that second hard drive is internal or external and if it has been reformatted properly to NTFS (rather than the default FAT32).

All that said, the biggest cause of system lugging is the nature of the source files themselves. What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer? And what project settings are you using? Ideally, as you add clips to your timeline, you won't see either a red or green line above the clips.

If you're seeing lots of red lines above your clips it's a sign that you're either using an inefficient video file format or you're using lots of effects. In either case, you'll see a tremendous boost if you render regularly by pressing the Enter key. (The red line will turn green.)

However, if all of your source clips are showing red lines on your timeline, you may want to convert your files or use a more efficient video format or project setting, as I cover in my books.

But we'l know more about what to recommend to you when we know what you're using for source files.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Along with Steve's comments, the biggest resource hog, when editing on the Timeline is the redraw of the Frames in the Clips. Most professional editors turn all Frame displays OFF, so that only the Clip name is shown. You can alter what is displayed by Rt-clicking on the Track Header and choosing the display characteristics. In PrPro, you can have All Frames, First Frame Only, First & Last Frame, or None. Not sure of all the display settings in PrE, but will check and get back to you.

Good luck, and hope that this helps speed things up a bit for you.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

I just went to PrE 4, and Rt-clicking on the Track Header does NOT get you to the display characteristics. Sorry about that. I'm looking for the display setting now, and will report back. Maybe Steve, or someone else can direct both of us to the display characteristics settings in PrE - I use PrPro mostly, so was going from that program, and assuming that much would be the same in PrE. I was very wrong.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, found it. There is a tiny icon to the far-left of the Track Header. It is a toggle and will step you through the display modes. Whew, I knew it had to be around someplace. Try with Frame Display turned OFF. If you are not comfortable with that, then try with just the First Frame displaying.

Sorry for my "fits-n-starts." This forum keeps me thinking, 'cause I use PrE's big-brother and things ARE different between the two programs, regardless of how much they share.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                  Tom Nickel Level 1

OK, Guys, thank you for the replies!

I'll check again tonight to get more specific information.  (I'm not writing from my "editing" computer.)

I know I have a dual-core processor and the computer is about 1 year old now, but I'll get more specifics.

I am using a Sony HDR-HC5 camera, but not in the high definition mode.

I am transferring using fire-wire (I think that Sony has their own name for it .. maybe "iLink"?) and I am

not seeing red lines above the video .. until, of course, I create a cross fade, and then pressing the "Enter" key

makes the red line(s) go away ..

But, I was wondering if my video card had anything to do with the latency?

For instance, when I am playing a section of video with the time line greatly expanded, when I stop the video play, the audio tracks graphics will slide from right to left, in order to update and re-align themselves.  Then the video tracks will update the little icons representing the video content, one frame at a time .. dink, dink, dink, etc.

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

But, I was wondering if my video card had anything to do with the latency?

Tom,

That is a possibility. Please also list your video card.

Three things to look into:

1.) video driver - is it updated to the very latest?

2.) Hardware Acceleration - what is it set to? Can you try more, and also less, to see if it makes a difference?

3.) Check your Open GL settings, probably in your video card's driver console.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said, your video card is not likely playing a role. The program is more processor and RAM dependent.

If you're not seeing red lines above your clips on the timeline, you are using an efficient workflow.

But it's possible you haven't got Windows tuned for video editing or, since you're working on a second hard drive, your second hard drive isn't properly set up. Many people, for instance, set up a second internal drive in their operating system but neglect to set it up in their BIOS, and this can make for very slow transfers.

But, as I said, we'll be better able to make recommendations when you give us these types of details about your system.

• 8. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This FAQ Article will help you tune up Vista.

This Tips & Tricks Article will help you get the most out of your computer for NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                          Tom Nickel Level 1

Hello again,

Here's what "My Computer" says:

System
                          Microsoft Windows XP
                          Home Edition
                          Version 2002
                          Service Pack 3

Computer:
                          Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
                          E6750 @ 2.66GHz
                          2.66 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
                          Physical Address Extension

My second Drive is: Internal 7200 RPM SATA 500 G
                          (I formatted NTFS)
                          (Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-40YGA1)

Thanks agian!

• 10. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Though Steve believes that your issue is not your video card, would you please list it, plus the driver version that you are using?

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                              Tom Nickel Level 1

Hunt,

My video card is:  NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

The driver was dated 11/6/2007 but I've now updated it to an 8/17/2009 driver but to no avail.

Here's another symptom that I've noticed:

As my video plays, the audio tracks move slowly from left to right.

After a few seconds, the graphic information that is displayed on the audio tracks

starts "disappearing" as the track passes the "now time" indicator line.

The "disapearing" audio graphics returns when the video play is stopped.

That's when everything slides over to "catch up" as the display is updated.

If I left the video play for maybe a minute, it can take quite a bit of time

(maybe 10 or 15 seconds) for the audio and video tracks to catch up and

once again display the current state of things.

(I don't recall it doing this a ways back .. maybe my installation got corrupt

and I need an re-install?)

Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thanks.

What is your Hardware Acceleration set to? Can you turn that down and test, and then turn it up and test?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                                  Tom Nickel Level 1

Hunt,

(By the way, thanks to everyone for all the time that they're putting into this thread.  I didn't think that it

would have evolved into such complexity ..)

My Windows Hardware Acceleration was set "all the way to the right".

I tried it "all the way to the left" and then, just one "notch" less than "all the way to the right".

(Hope that makes sense!)

It didn't fix the problem :-( 

(Do I need to re-start Windows when I change this setting?  I did not do that ..) 

Here is some more information:

I think I had first noticed the video latency last August.  I had attributed it to a lack of hard drive space and

installed a new internal hard drive (I have four 500G sata hard drives in my computer.)

Also, I had installed Premiere 7 on my computer about two weeks ago.  (I have been using "3" to date.)

Both 3 and 7 act the same way, so I'm thinking that the issue probably isn't caused by a corrupt installation of Premiere.

I would suspect having both 3 and 7 installed concurrently as the culprit, but the issue existed long before installing 7.

If it were a system RAM failure, I'd suspect that I'd see a far more catastrophic failure?

And, when the video is playing "catch-up", I'm not seeing excessive drive activity, so I'm not sure

how big a role that the hard drove(s) are playing in this anomaly.

re: hard drives - the only set-up that I changed in the BIOS when installing hard drives was to turn on the

SATA interface for the drives .. maybe I've missed an optimization?

Maybe I need to go thru the "optimize your PC" list ..

Last thought for now:  Is my Nividia GeForce video card adequate?  I've got another video card that I can try.

Thanks copiously again!

• 14. Re: Is there a way to speed up Premiere's screen refresh when editing?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

In general terms, playback is mostly dependent on the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. AVCHD material is more dependent on the CPU, and then the I/O sub-system.

In your case, it seems that it is more of a display issue, than an actual playback issue. That is angle, that I am approaching the problem on. Steve is looking at it from a playback standpoint, and he may well be correct.

Now, if it is display, it would boil down to your GPU (basically your nVidia card and drivers). From a pure GPU standpoint, PrE is not very demanding on the video processing capabilities, so long as the driver is working perfectly. The hot 3D and gamer cards do zero to improve the display performance with PrE.

Now, some other things can come into play - Vista's Sidebar and Aero are two big issues. I recommend that these be turned OFF. Programs, like Window Blinds, can also be an issue, though usually in a different way.

Other programs and Processes can rob one of their resources, hence the reference to that "Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine" article in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

You've now got the latest nVidia driver installed. If you have any Effects or Features, like Stereo 3D, etc. on, turn them OFF. These can be addressed in the nVidia control panel. Some people even remove their vid-card's console/control panel, but I've had no issues with my nVidia consoles. You've tried adjusting Hardware Acceleration with no improvement. Have you looked into your Open GL settings? Have you tried with the Timeline Display set to OFF?

One observation that I have made, and this is predicated on a comment of your, is that even on my workstation with my nVidia Quadro, when playing the Timeline, the Waveform Display will often not keep up with the scrolling in the Timeline. The instant that I stop playback, it refreshes instantly. I see this with very long Timelines, or with complex Timelines, regardless of whether the Timeline has been Rendered, or not. The display in the Program Monitor is good, it's just that the display in the Timeline lags, especially the Waveform Display, once I've scrolled for a screen, or two. To me, this is a non-issue, as I am watching the Program Monitor, but I do observe this from time to time. I also almost always have my Timeline Display set to Clip Name, or maybe First Frame, so I have less to actually display on my Timeline. Unless I am doing critical Frame-by-Frame work on the Timeline, I seldom have the Display set to All Frames, or even First & Last Frame. Maybe that is why I only notice the display of the Waveform lagging. Again, if I'm in that critical mode, I am usually manually scrubbing, and not playing.

Unfortunately, I'm running out of ideas. Thanks for trying the suggestions and for reporting back.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one other thought, and I do not know if it's mentioned in any of the linked articles, or has been mentioned, but how is your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) set up an managed? If it's dynamically managed, maybe Windows is a bit slow to react, when it needs more room?