9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 11:22 AM by the_wine_snob

SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4

scottkoegler Level 1

My Premiere Pro CS4 works just fine, and I can even execute the Create New SmartSound function. I'm able to select a track from the local collection on my drive, and preview the sound (so I know it's making sound). When I ask the plugin to create the track it does create a file. However the file has no audio information in it. In preview, I hear no sound, and when I open the file in the Source panel, there is no wave pattern - just a flat line.

When I attempt to execute the function a second time, PP crashes completely.

This was the free install that came with PP CS4.

SmartSound Quicktracks for Adobe Premiere Version 3.1 SDK versin 3.0.9.0

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

• 1. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

AFAIK SmartSound is not included with CS4 and is not compatible.

• 2. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
            scottkoegler Level 1

Interesting - and that would explain a lot.

Though I thought the download was offered at registration time - I could be wrong.

Thanks

Scott

• 3. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It worked with CS3, but not with CS4. At least on my system.

• 4. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

The SmartSound QuickTracks plug-in does not yet work in CS4. SmartSound is working on this. Adobe is furnishing them with an updated SDK to complete the re-write of that plug-in. I have not heard an estimated delivery date, and would assume that work is not far enough along to issue that statement.

When the re-write is done, SmartSound will be posting a new QuickTracks plug-in for CS4.

In the meantime, you could use Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks to do much the same thing, though unfortunately not from within PrPro. The Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks version is free with the purchase of any Strata Series disc. It is not as full-featured as the Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition (also a stand-alone program and not a plug-in), but it is pretty close.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a recent ARTICLE on SmartSound and Adobe. It might offer a few tips, should you wish to use Sonicfire Pro ExpressTracks, while waiting for the re-write to be released.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

When the re-write is done, SmartSound will be posting a new QuickTracks plug-in for CS4.

By that time, CS5 will be out, and SS will again not work with the current version.

• 7. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You could well be correct. Adobe changed enough in the Audio portion of the program, with CS4, that it smurfed SmartSounds plug-in. The CS4 SDK was very late in being done, which did not help. If CS5 also changes the Audio aspects, it could well mean that even the newest SmartSound will not work there.

Here is hoping that that will not be the case, but only time will tell.

Hunt

• 8. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
                        Kona Bob Level 2

I have found Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks to be a great solution for CS4. It imported all of my existing Smart Sound libraries, works very well, and exports the finished music directly into your CS4 project. I will probably stick with it even after they upgrade Smartsound for PP CS4.

You also have the option of upgrading to the full Sonicfire Pro with layered music tracks for additional editing control.

I had resisted the changeover for years because the Smartsound plug in was so easy. Now, I'm kind of glad that Adobe forced me to change with PP CS4.

• 9. Re: SmartSound crashes Premiere Pro CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I had resisted the changeover for years because the Smartsound plug in was so easy. Now, I'm kind of glad that Adobe forced me to change with PP CS4.

Yes, that "ease of use" is what keeps me hoping that SmartSound and Adobe can get it ironed out. I use the QuickTracks function for all smaller Projects, and then use Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition for the major stuff.

One recent limitation is that some of the newer Strata Series will ONLY work in Sonicfire Pro, and NOT in QuickTracks. Not all, but some of the newer releases. This is a departure from the past. I do not know if the "new & improved CS" QuickTracks will handle the 48KHz Strata Multi-layer music, or not. I am hoping that it does, just as I am hoping to one day see a Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition plug-in for PrPro.

Hunt