7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 4:43 PM by Tols (UK)

Printing with Flash from 11.5?

ajarnow

Still struggling with 11.5 and the assumed failure of Printomatic to update the xtra for web use.

Is there a way for lingo (in Shockwave) to move a user-drawn image saved into the cast with imaging lingo into an embedded Flash cast member and use a Flash printing routine?

Or does anybody know another way of printing a decent quality bitmap from a .dcr?

• 1. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Valentin Schmidt has possible solution here

• 2. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
            ajarnow Level 1

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the lead . . .

Have you been able to implement this yet? I wrote to Valentin - with no response yet. Are you interested in consulting?

Al

• 3. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
              Have you been able to implement this yet?

No, I haven't used it. I'm still leery of 11.5 for production work after the train wreck that 11 was/is, and I don't trust Adobe to get Shockwave "right" as a delivery platform.

Are you interested in consulting?

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk off-forum.

• 4. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
                ajarnow Level 1

I'm not sure if this is a private message?

Yeah, I know how you feel. 11.5 seems to work most of the time and then

. . . .

Most of my production work I've been doing with MX2004. But after some

internal debate, a current project for the National Gallery of Art is

going ahead in 11.5 with a whole range of issues. I was thinking about

porting the project backwards to MX but then there's always the problem

of Snow Leopard . .  .

1. Printomatic seems to have dropped by the wayside - so I'm looking

for alternate means of printing from the web, which is something the

client and I both find necessary. Printomatic does seem to work locally

from projectors on Mac & Windows. Hence my interest in Valentin's vo2.

2. Sound has created a whole range of issues - with coreAudioMix

presenting a problem on the Mac side. Not found! And after a set of

experiments, I think I discovered that 11.5 is happier with mp3 sound.

Sound had disappeared from .dcrs on Firefox for a while.

3. Shockwave has a tendency to fall apart in Firefox, with the sprites

totally disappearing exposing the blank stage color behind. This

resolves itself with a few clicks, but ........ this applies to

Shockwave 11 playing older content and to Shockwave 11 playing new

content.

4. I need to have projects work in browsers and projectors. There seems

to be no problem on the PC side. But now Mac projectors seem to be

packaged in a whole new way with a set of resources that produce errors

when zipped.

5. I need projector pieces to save user created images to disk and

directImage won't be upgrading. I've tested ShockFiler which seems to

work, but can't be sure if will work on Snow Leopard. You say you're

reluctant to work with 11.5, but MX is going to be running into more

problems on new systems, no?

6. And all kinds of other things that I probably haven't yet

encountered.

I work on a Mac using system OSX 5.8

Are any of the above things that you've encountered - and solved?

• 5. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
                  I'm not sure if this is a private message?

No, but it doesn't matter.

BTW: you might want to be careful NOT to post your email address to a public forum. Unless you love wading through spam, of course.

5. I need projector pieces to save user created images to disk and

directImage won't be upgrading. I've tested ShockFiler which seems to

work, but can't be sure if will work on Snow Leopard. You say you're

reluctant to work with 11.5, but MX is going to be running into more

problems on new systems, no?

I thought ShockFiler was for FTP. I expect you mean vList (from the same developer). Valentin also has routines to save images to disk from 11.5 using ByteArrays.

Developing in MX will certainly produce problems - there is no SW10 for Intel Macs. At least with 11.5 you can hope any bugs will be addressed. With earlier versions you can be completely confident they won't!

• 6. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
                    ajarnow Level 1

Actually I mean shockFiler which is an ftp saver and can be directed to function as a local saver with a specified path and seems to work fine on PCs and Macs. Valentin's saver worked ok, but very slowly on the Mac side - but I haven't gotten it to run on a PC yet.

And maybe some hopeful news on the Printomatic front . . .

• 7. Re: Printing with Flash from 11.5?
                      Tols (UK)

I use Shockfiler to save image members to jpeg locally as well, and it works fine on 11.5 and it works on snow leopard

can't help you with the other stuff tho, i print by creating something external to director and getting the OS to print that. (ie not helpful for shockwave)

Message was edited by: Tols (UK)