5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 3:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Opacity auto keyframes

shooternz Level 6

Never quite figured why 'Opacity' automatically creates a keyframe as soon as it is adjusted.

I use opacity often and I get caught by it almost every time.  ie  key frames in the centre of a clip at the CTI

Maybe someone else can explain  why it is set up like this.... but to me, its inconsistent.

• 1. Re: Opacity auto keyframes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

I see that too. Now, normally, if I'm adjusting Opacity, it's to do a ramped Effect, like a Cross-Dissolve. In those cases, I'm usually adding my first one at 100% well into the Clip and will then PageUp to the Head and add my 0%, or similar.

To answer your question - I don't know.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Opacity auto keyframes
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Volume is the same way, at least when you're adjusting it in the ECP. In the timeline, you can adjust the opacity or volume wholesale, or add keyframes. I think your explanation is correct, Hunt--it's assumed you're going to want to ramp these effects.

It's a little weird, but I guess I understand the rationale.

• 3. Re: Opacity auto keyframes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

You could be 100% on this. I cannot recall where the CTI was, when I went to make the change and and if THAT was the exact position of that first, somewhat unintended Keyframe. I will observe more closely next time. For me, and for Craig, it seemed to be in the middle, but maybe that was where my CTI was?

Hunt

BTW - loved the shirt, but I'm on to red wine now, so please refrain from making me laugh.

[Edit] Also, please check back to the "soft edged" thread. Is your multi-Effect Preset only for CS4? Some users are having difficulties with the Preset in CS3. I do not have an answer for them.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 4. Re: Opacity auto keyframes
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I think it's more an issue of how Pr handles transparency overall.  I seem to recall a conversation a long time ago with someone who should know, that the reason a nested sequence has to be re-rendered when placed in a parent sequence is because of how Pr handles transparency.  Exactly what's going on under the hood, I don't know.  But if you recall in CS4.0, there was no default opacity keyframe in the Effects Control Panel.  There were issues with transitions not rendering, and still frames causing problems at the beginning of sequences.  The workaround was to add an opacity keyframe anywhere in the clip.  You didn't even have to modify its value; it just had to be there.  CS4.1, as you have noticed, has added the default keyframe back, and the transition and still frame issues have gone away.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Opacity auto keyframes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  if you recall in CS4.0, there was no default opacity keyframe in the Effects Control Panel.  There were issues with transitions not rendering, and still frames causing problems at the beginning of sequences.  The workaround was to add an opacity keyframe anywhere in the clip.  You didn't even have to modify its value; it just had to be there.  CS4.1, as you have noticed, has added the default keyframe back, and the transition and still frame issues have gone away.

Yes, I remember those discussion very well. I think that it was Ann Bens, who first reported the issue here with Transitions, and then the threads popped up, like mushrooms after a rain. That change was one of the first things reported on, when CS4.1 was released.

Thanks,

Hunt