- Make sure you link images rather than embedding or using Copy/Paste.
- Save without PDF Compatibility. This is available during Save As.
- Save using Compression. This is available during Save As.
- Delete unused brushes, swatches, and symbols. There is a pre-recoded action to do this in the Actions panel.
- Don’t worry about it, GB are cheap. I just bought 1,500 of them for $108.
Please follow this video tutorial and you will see a small thing can reduce the file size easily. It was really helpfull for me.
How to Reduce AI Vector file size: An Adobe illustrator Tutorial
My AI file size was not going under 1 MB even by deleting extras so what I did is I opened a raster small image of 100 kb with Adobe Illustrator. then deleted the image and saved the file as AI. Then I Copied the whole vector content of original AI file that was bigger then 1 MB with ctrl+c command and pasted it in the new file created with raster image. and saved it. Wow the new file size is only 137 kb now.