9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2009 10:50 AM by snarkiest

Questions about director!

snarkiest

So, I'm really new to Director and I want to learn it so I can create perfect applications.

I just drawed my chat look, but I don't know from what to start in Director.

How to put something and where and so on. Could anyone tell me what does casts, stage and everything else do?

How to make it possible to write in the text box next to speaker in this image: (attached)

I really need help and if someone could help me to understand everything please add me in msn: rihard_1@yahoo.com

I want to make it in Lingo language.

• 1. Re: Questions about director!
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Start with the tutorials that come with Director. Then go through the articles in the Director Developer Center at Adobe's web site.

• 2. Re: Questions about director!
            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Have a look at my tutorials at: http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/

There are tutorials designed for beginners.

I've also posted some of my lectures on YouTube/UNSWTV. Look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwxg7aGWTy8&feature=channel_page (Lingo basics)

You could find more on YouTube.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Questions about director!
              snarkiest Level 1

Ok, I went trough a lot of information and my head is almost blowing up.

So I make a form with fields and submit button in the end and I add a script to button but now what? I want to check the login data against database. How to connect with database?

Edit: Ok, I found out that I need Xtra. Could you suggest me some which would work on 11.5 and would be free?

• 4. Re: Questions about director!
                Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
                Edit: Ok, I found out that I need Xtra. Could you suggest me some which would work on 11.5 and would be free?

Depends on what type of DB it is. There is a list of xtras here - the only free one I'm aware of is Valentin Schmidt's sqlite xtra

I strongly recommend you learn to walk before trying to run

• 5. Re: Questions about director!
                  snarkiest Level 1

I though it would be good starting cause I really have no idea how to properly make a customized button or field.
                  Not even talking about something else like user rooms or user avatar.

Answering your question: MySQL. Is there other way not using Xtras how to connect with database?

• 6. Re: Questions about director!
                    Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Answering your question: MySQL. Is there other way not using Xtras how to connect with database?

MySQL is more often a server-side database solution, usually accessed by a scripting language like PHP and the query results included in HTML output. If you are really accessing a server-side DB then you can have Director query a server-side script which returns it results. Check the docs for getNetText() and postNetText()

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Questions about director!
                      snarkiest Level 1

Thanks a lot. It will be useful later.

But at the moment I have few dificulties with learning to walk .

Open the attached .dir file. Firstly find on stage chat_field. When running the movie I can't write in the chat_field. Why so?

Secondly, how to properly write this: when you click on some of those small buttons, for example, bar_bt_1 on stage in location X = some value Y = some value shows cast member("online_box_1") and if you click on bar_bt_2 on stage shows cast member("online_box_2") in location X= some other value Y = some other value ?

I got this far:

on mouseUp me

member("online_box_1")

end

I just don't know how to write it. Any hints which functions or what to use?

• 8. Re: Questions about director!
                        robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Like I said two days ago, start with the tutorials. You need to set the text or field object's editable property to true in order for it to accept input. There are sprite behaviours in the Library that will exchange one cast member for another on a mouse event. Have a look at those and the tutorials that explain them.

Also heed Dean's advice and look through his tutorials. They will explain a lot.

• 9. Re: Questions about director!
                          snarkiest Level 1

Ok, that was really stupid from me, I though editable it does something else. (Sorry me, just english is not my first language.)

But I made it false anyway, cause I want it to be editable only on click. So when user clicks on that field it is editable.

on mouseUp me
                            member("chat_field").editable = TRUE
                          end

It is correct? At least it is working for me. But then again I want it to work like this:

on mouseUp me
                            member("chat_field").editable = TRUE
                          if --mouse clicked somewhere else not on chat_field
                          then
                            member("chat_field").editable = FALSE
                          end if
                          end

How to write that line properly?

Rob Dillon, thanks you again. You said it will exchange one cast member for antoher. But if there is no cast member before the mouse click on stage which I would like to exchange to?

And I couldn't find that behavior in behavior library. How exactly is it called?