14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2010 1:14 PM by Bob Hadsell

How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?

Bob Hadsell

I recently purchased and installed Flash CS4 Professional on my home computer (HP Windows XP Media Center Edition).  AS2 works as a Publish Setting, but AS3 does not function in any way.

After my initial installation, I ran a CS4 update of all programs, including updating Flash CS4 to 10.0.2.

I have uninstalled the software and re-installed it in the "simplified" mode.  Updated to v10.0.2; no change in AS3 failure.  I have run the Adobe Support Analyzer, and an error has been found in the installation log file (for both the initial installation and the re-installation).  But use of the Package for Support button (repeatedly, over 4 days) fails to upload and fails to produce a "key", yielding this message: "The storage server is unavailable! Please try again later."

Here is what I mean by ActionScript 3 failure:

With any script in the Actions-Frame panel, clicking Check Syntax produces this message: "This script contains errors. The errors encountered are listed in the Compiler Errors Panel."  The Compiler Errors Panel is always blank.  When I am working in AS2, an intentional script error immediately is identified correctly in the Compiler Errors Panel.
      With any script in the Actions-Frame panel, clicking Auto Format produces this message: "This script contains syntax errors, so it cannot be Auto Formatted. Fix the errors and try again."
      Any .swf produced with CTRL+Enter sits in its initial state and does not run or otherwise have interactivity.
      .fla files I have found the failure with include:  AS3 examples from the Adobe Flash website; AS3 files I produced with Flash CS3 Professional on a previous employer's computer; a simple "stop();" in the Actions-Frame panel for the first frame of a movie clip.
      I have also made sure that my computer has updated versions of the Flash 10, 9, and 8 players.  A .swf file (AS3, Player 9) I made with my employer's Flash CS3 software runs fine on my computer.  But producing a new .swf from the same .fla file on my home computer with CS4 yields an inactive file.
      Adobe technical support is unable to deal with ActionScript problems and referred me to the community of Adobe expert users.  I would be grateful for any help in getting Flash CS4 working properly.

• 1. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is odd (but not necessarily surprising) that tech support would try to pawn this off to the forums as an actionscript issue where it pretty well sounds like a Flash performance issue and nothing related to actual actionscript programming.  Adobe customer support has been questionable as of late.  I recommend you try to get the attention of Jen via the following link to at least get some form of confirmation as to whether this is an issue for tech support (or maybe customer service) or not: http://forums.adobe.com/people/jdehaan

There is a chance Jen will stop by and see your posting, but it can't hurt to try to draw attention to it more directly by providing a link directly to it in a private message.

In any case, I doubt any non-Adobe user in these forums (which is roughly 99.999% of us... but just a guess) can offer a solution, unless someone visiting has happened to encounter this same issue and resolved it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
            jendehaan Level 4

Hi Bob,

Wow - that does sound like a very odd issue (and I agree - it doesn't sound like an AS issue, but instead a setup/software issue). In that CS3 file that doesn't work after saving it to CS4 and publishing, can you save it back to CS3 file format and still publish?  Have you had CS3 (or any other version of Flash) working on this particular setup?  Is this a typical computer setup, or it it networked?  Have you tried logging in as admin vs user and so forth? Can you try saving your file to a thumb drive and see if that works?

Basically I've heard of weird issues with networked computers and ActionScript (and well, all sorts of things when things are networked, not syncing, etc - not limited to Flash/AS). I'm wondering if something happened during that save between CS3 > CS4 that caused it to be in some location where the AS is getting messed up. 

Because your files work on one computer and not the next, and it's as simple as a stop() action, my guess is it's something to do with the system setup. I'll ask some of the ActionScript gurus to see if this rings any bells or there are some suggestions as to what the problem might be.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
              Bob Hadsell Level 1
              • The AS3 problem is the same whether I'm logged in with full admin rights or just as a user with limited rights.
              • The computer is at my home, with no sort of networking.
              • On a flash memory drive (also referred to as a "thumb" drive?) I opened a .fla file I had made at a former employer's site using Flash CS3 Professional.  Its publish settings are Flash Player 9, ActionScript 3.  The AS3 failures are there as before, and the published (CTRL+Enter) .swf file does not run (it sits at its initial state).  If I click on the .swf file made with my former employer's Flash CS3, it runs on my computer just as it should.
              • If the Adobe Support Analyzer really is finding an error in my Flash CS4 install log, what do I have to do to upload the analysis so someone at Adobe can look at it?  If my install log file is cumulative, so it is now too large to analyze and upload (as my last use of the Support Analyzer suggests), where can I find the install log so I can delete it and run a fresh installation from scratch?
              • When I bought my computer in August 2006, I installed the Education version of Flash MX 2004.  I soon purchased Flash 8 Professional, which is still installed on my computer and working normally, as far as I can tell.  My new purchase is Flash CS4 Professional.  (I had Flash CS3 Professional only at my former employer, where I worked as a contractor.)
              • Just in case this is relevant:  my home computer is a Hewlett-Packard PC with 1.8 GHz AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual microprocessors, 2 Gb RAM, and a very large hard drive that is about 75% empty.  The operating system that I purchased it with is the MS Windows XP Media Center edition, which is why everything is fast with high bandwidth.  But this particular setup prevented a successful installation of the software to use a Hewlett-Packard flatbed scanner.  HP technical support confirmed that my PC configuration can't work with a HP scanner.  (However, I think the issue involved a confict in the drivers used by my PC (probably with the video card) versus driver(s) used by a scanner.)  Does this offer any clues for the right sort of expert at Adobe?
              • Also in case this is relevant:  I keep my computer operating system and software up to date (e.g., with the monthly or more often Microsoft critical updates.)  I also scan every few days with current versions of several different antivirus programs.  They are kept active while I work, including working with Flash CS4 Professional.
              • It ought to be significant that my installed Flash CS4 Professional works just fine when the Publish Setting is set to ActionScript 2.0.  It is the AS 3.0 setting specifically that results in no functionalilty and all the error messages when I'm working in the Actions Panel.

I'm really grateful that you're looking at this or passing this problem along to someone with the right expertise to make sense of it.

• 4. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                jendehaan Level 4

Hi there,

OK, I don't think we previously heard that there are error messages and it sounded like the problem was at the school. Can you please elaborate on this part: "all the error messages when I'm working in the Actions panel". This would definitely lead to something not working when you publish.  What error messages do you see? Have you updated your code to AS3?

Thanks,

Jen.

• 5. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                  Bob Hadsell Level 1

Error messages when the Publish Setting is ActionScript 3.0 and the Actions-Frame panel has any content:

A click on Check Syntax produces "This script contains errors. The errors encountered are listed in the Compiler Errors Panel."  The Compile Errors Panel always remains blank.

A click on Auto format produces "This script contains syntax errors, so it cannot be Auto Formatted. Fix the errors and try again."  Again, the Compile Errors Panel remains blank.

I get these error messages with sample AS3 .fla files from the Adobe web sites, with sample AS3 .fla files from tutorials and examples on the Internet, from AS3 .fla files that I made at my previous employer using Flash CS3 Professional, and even with an AS3 Actions-Frame panel that contains only stop();   When the Publish Setting is ActionScript 2.0, there are no error messages, the Compile Errors Panel has content when it should, and my published .swf files work as they should.

If I copy an AS3 Actions-Frame panel content into a new Flash document with a Publish Setting of ActionScript 2.0, and click Check Syntax or Auto format, I get content in the Compile Errors Panel that is consistent with finding ActionScript 3.0 code that is erroneous in an ActionScript 2.0 Flash document.

Essentially, my installed Flash CS4 Professional fails to work whenever the Publish Setting is ActionScript 3.0.

Sorry about the gap in giving you these details.  I thought my first contact with you included the full sequence of postings.  In any event, I think I now have given you everything that seems relevant to me.  But I'd be happy to test anything else that you think might lead to a resolution of this problem.

Thanks again -- Bob Hadsell

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:11:15 -0600

To: rmhadsell@hotmail.com

Subject: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?

Hi there,

OK, I don't think we previously heard that there are error messages and it sounded like the problem was at the school. Can you please elaborate on this part: "all the error messages when I'm working in the Actions panel". This would definitely lead to something not working when you publish.  What error messages do you see? Have you updated your code to AS3?

Thanks,

Jen.

>

• 6. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                    jendehaan Level 4

Hi Bob,

Sorry - I'm getting these two threads on the similar issue confused (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2282049).

Can you try attaching the non-working SWF and the FLA that produced it to this thread or somewhere that I can download?  (you may need to save in ZIP format if you attach it here)

As noted earlier, did you try taking that CS3 file that you saved to CS4 that stopped working, saving it back to CS3 format and seeing if it worked again?

Thanks.

Jen.

• 7. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                      Bob Hadsell Level 1

Hi Jen --

I've attached a zip file that contains 3 files:

-- Flash CS3 .fla file

-- Flash CS3 .swf file published from the .fla file and playing as it should

-- Flash CS4 .swf file published from the .fla file using my Flash CS4 Professional installation; it does not play.

I no longer have access to Flash CS3, so I can't test anything by going back to the CS3 format.

Thanks -- Bob

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:56:29 -0600

Hi Bob,

Sorry - I'm getting these two threads on the similar issue confused (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2282049).

Can you try attaching the non-working SWF and the FLA that produced it to this thread or somewhere that I can download?  (you may need to save in ZIP format if you attach it here)

As noted earlier, did you try taking that CS3 file that you saved to CS4 that stopped working, saving it back to CS3 format and seeing if it worked again?

Thanks.

Jen.

>

• 8. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                        jendehaan Level 4

Thanks Bob, I'll look at the files today.

You don't need CS3 - in CS4 you can "Save As" the CS3 format (drop down at the bottom of the Save As dialog). This closes and reopens the file as a CS3 document. Then you can see if the file works again. If it still does not work, it could be a saving issue.  If it does work again, perhaps something to do with format.

Sorry if it's above - when the file does not work, is it the SWF published just not working (when the SWF plays in a browser, or when you double-click the .swf file and open it in the standalone player), or does Test Movie (Ctrl+Enter) not work either.

Thanks,

Jen.

• 9. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                          jendehaan Level 4

Sorry, went to download em and notice that I don't think they attached to the forum.  Please feel free to email them to jdh (at) adobe if that's more convienient - I've heard the upload feature is sometimes flaky. Thanks!

• 10. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                            jendehaan Level 4

Hi again,

So I learnt of a known issue where this happens with CS4/AS3 files if the FLA is saved to a root directory. Could this be the case on your computer?

Thanks,

Jen.

• 11. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                              Bob Hadsell Level 1

Hi Jen --

This is a reply to your last two emails.  I have attached a zip file that just has the bouncing box .fla file.  I used the older .zip compression format, in case the newer .zipx format I used before wasn't working quite right at your end.

I guess by root directory you mean my C drive?  I have so many Flash files from Flash MX 2004, Flash 8, and Flash CS4 that I use a number of directories and subdirectories on my C drive.  No matter where the files are located, AS3 never works in my installation of Flash CS4 Professional.  If your engineers would like another sample of .fla files that don't work (i.e., produce the error messages and can't be published):  all the files in flash_as3_samples.zip from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/samples/.  On my C drive, I unzipped the files in this directory: C:\FlashCS4\CS4 AS3 examples\flash_as3_samples.

Thanks again -- Bob

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:10:02 -0600

Hi again,

So I learnt of a known issue where this happens with CS4/AS3 files if the FLA is saved to a root directory. Could this be the case on your computer?

Thanks,

Jen.

>

• 12. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                                liliput2

Thats all my poblems!!!

I used File Monitors from Sysinternals and I see, that Flash operated with C:\xalan\xercesImpl.jar (on my system), and can't find C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS4\META-INF\services\org.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration  and others...

I temporary remove xalan - well - thats all - CS4 successfully compile, test, check codes !!!

1) Adobe CS4 used Xerces Apache (and configurated himself, without us)

2) Use Sysinternals to detect other file-problems

Xerces_Apache.jpg

On my machine Flash 8, CS3, CS4 - for adjusting project compatibility.

==========

PS.  Читает то, что попалось первым

ENVIRONMENT > CLASSPATH:

.;C:\xalan\xalan.jar;C:\xalan\serializer.jar;C:\CODE\xalan-j\xml-apis.jar;C:\xalan\xercesI mpl.jar;%CLASSPATH%;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Ну нравится Макромедиа-Адоб Флэш...

• 14. Re: How to correct failure of ActionScript 3 in Flash CS4 Professional?
                                  Bob Hadsell Level 1

Thanks for suggesting this approach, but it still didn't solve the problem.  After uninstalling Flash CS4 Professional and running msicuu2.exe and CS5InstallerDatabaseUtility.exe, and finally reinstalling Flash, Actionscript 3 still doesn't exist (and Actionscript 2 still works fine in this version of Flash).  This still leaves me suspecting the problem lies in my version of the Windows XP operating system:  Windows XP Media Edition (which has the capability of viewing and capturing live TV from my local cable system).  This is in a Hewlett-Packard desktop, which cannot install the software for a Hewlett-Packard flatbed scanner supposedly because there is a driver conflict with the Media Edition installation.  So, likely something similar involving Flash somehow.  If I really need to create programs with Flash at home, I'll get a separate CPU with Windows 7 and try again.

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:34:32 -0600

Try the solution here : http://forums.adobe.com/message/3253154#3253154 It solved my solution in CS5.

>