2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 1:07 PM by PaulWolf0522

Fade to White Causing Gradient Mesh Rasterization

PaulWolf0522

This may or may not be a bug, but let me explain what just happened to me.  I'm using AI CS4 on a PC.  Now, "Flattener Preview" kept showing all my gradient meshes as rasterized.  This didn't seem right to me (but I've been using AI all of three weeks), and it seemed to have caused the borders of all my meshes to become jagged in view and print.  So, I set out to find out what could have caused this.  Through a process of elimination, I discovered a very tiny highlight that I had drawn with the "Blob Brush Tool" had been filled with the "Fade to White" color off the "Basic RGB" color swatch.  I then filled that object with pure white, and now "Flattener Preview" shows all to be fine as judged by the fact that all selections within "Flattener Preview" are grayed out.

I still may have a problem because I still see some of my mesh borders as being jagged.  So, is my illustration permanently damaged?  Am I going to have to redraw my meshes?  If I select a mesh and run "Flatten Transparency", I know I can choose "Convert all strokes to outlines", which I read somewhere may solve the jaggies problem.  I can experiment with this, but should I do this, and if so, what are the ramifications?  After this experience, I'm just a little concerned that this illustration I've been working on for the last two weeks may either be ruined or I may now ruin it out of ignorance.

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Fade to White Causing Gradient Mesh Rasterization
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          After this experience, I'm just a little concerned that this illustration I've been working on for the last two weeks may either be ruined or I may now ruin it out of ignorance.

Why? That's why people use incremental saving and versioning. Just work on a copy of the current state. The rest is not clear, but I suspect you somehow inadvertently mixed RGB and CMYK or spot colors and thus the blending of the colors gives weird resuts. Expanding the artwork may offer a solution, if not the most practical one. Anotehr may be to run it through the Recolor Artwork process to get clean colors. the only real stinker with gradient meshes is, though, that you first need to select the gradient points for it to have any effect on them...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Fade to White Causing Gradient Mesh Rasterization
            PaulWolf0522 Level 1

Mylenium, thank you for your help.  I checked Document Info, and it lists only RGB - no CMYK, grayscale or spot color objects at all.  Checking one of my older versions that had not been fixed showed the same except it did have some grayscale objects in addition to the RGB.

I did try your suggestions on the older version, and the Recolor Art worked.  That removed the offending object filled with the "Fade to White", and that made things look right in Flattener Preview.  I also tried to repair my illustration with your suggestions; however, they had no effect on the jaggies I'm seeing.  I suspect the jaggies may be a different issue.

Anyway, thanks, again for your help.  Much appreciated.

Paul