Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

an error has occurred in this script on this page - i.e 7.0

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have what looks like a common printing error because I see it in the forum but after searching the forum and talking to Adobe for over an hour I still can't find a resolution.  I can't believe users have this error every day and we have no resolution?  I dont even know if it is an Adobe or Microsoft error.

It says I.E 7.0 at the top and the only possible resoltuion I saw was changing the setting in I.E under tools > internet options but I believe this just stops the error from displaying but does not actually stop the problem. If my error is in my script, i do not have any background with coding and HTML.

This errror only occurs from the hard drive when you are in HTML output and wish to print a complete chapter not an individual topic.  The users have to reply yes to continue like 20-30 times to exit this error and finally print.

Please help me since my project is due in a few weeks!

Thanks

Caryn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I said this only occurs from the hard drive - what I meant is the .chm file is on everyone's hard drive and we are not working off any shared drive.

You can access the on-line help thru our application which is also on the hard drive.

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 26, 2009 Sep 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Caryn,

I think this is caused by a long-standing bug in the HTML Help viewer, which is described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830609

Although the article doesn't really spell it out, the problem applies to both cascading style sheets and script (.js) files that are attached to HTML Help topics. In your case, it may be that Internet Explorer cannot locate a script file that is attached to your topics when you send a batch for printing.

The problem is also described in this blog article:

http://techwritetips.wordpress.com/2006/06/28/htmlhelp-multiple-page-printing/

The workaround is to change the way that you reference the script file at the start of each of your topics. For example, at the moment, the Head section at the start of each topic may reference the script file like this:

<head>

<script language="JavaScript" src="example.js"></script>
</head>

You'd change this line so that it includes the file name of your Help file, like this:

<script language="JavaScript" src="ms-its:YourHelpFile.chm::/example.js"></script>

For an alternative solution, see snippet 46 on Peter Grainge's site:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete

Please help me, I am not good at editing HTML at all.

Here are 2 sample html topic pages (the beginning part) and i dont see what you are talking about:

Thanks

Caryn Drovie

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="topic-check-list" content="Ran Smart Index" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />
<title>Introduction_to_Billing</title>
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="default.css" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
<h1>Introduction to Billing</h1>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="Payment Administration" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="General Ledger" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="Billing Administration" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="Operating Console" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="Log Out" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="Login" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="workflow system" />
<meta name="MS-HKWD" content="Auto/Open Hide Tree" />
<meta name="topic-check-list" content="Ran Smart Index" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />
<title>topic_titles</title>
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="default.css" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
<h1 style="margin-right: 14px;">Topic Titles</h1>
<h2>How to Use this Help System</h2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per snippet 46 you referenced: The style sheet definitions are lost.

To avoid that problem you need a copy of the stylesheet in each folder. Make sure your topics point to the style sheet in the same folder as the topic and they will then print correctly when the user selects "Print all topics in book", even though the topics may be coming from different folders.

Please tell me how to check this.

Thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topic Properties shows which CSS is being used by that topic.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

Do I need to change all of these windows and or frames to my name of my help file and this will resolve my printing error?

Thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, In the topic properties, advanced tab, do i need to check if the default.css file is selected for each topic in question?

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

yes to both questions below?  also, the link you sent me is for Robohelp Server 8, I am not using the server version.

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your comment is addressed to Pete Lees, not Peter Grainge?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Caryn,

My guess is that RoboHelp is adding the <script> element to the Head sections of your topics at the point that you compile the Help file, so there may be no easy way to address this issue from within the RoboHelp HTML Editor. When you view the source of a topic in the HTML Help window itself (right-click the topic pane and then choose View Source), you'll no doubt see the <script> element at the start. Or perhaps your scripts are a little further down your topics than is shown in the two samples you posted?

If you are prepared to edit the HTML topic files and then recompile the Help file outside of RoboHelp, that could fix the issue, but this is adding layers of complexity that I doubt you'd welcome.

Does it help to note that many HTML Help files suffer from exactly the same problem? Microsoft is aware of the issue and uses the workaround that I previously described in its own Help files, but many other authors are shipping HTML Help files that throw script errors when multiple topics are printed.

Sorry, in the absence of other suggestions, the best I can do is recommend that you submit a Feature Request, inviting Adobe to address the issues that you and others are having when printing HTML Help topics.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caryn,

Over and above what Pete has offered I can’t see what I can add. If you are comfortable with editing the HTML and then compiling the project outside of RH (using Microsoft HTML Workshop which you can freely download if you don’t have it) that is the way to go. If you aren’t comfortable, there really is no way around this.

As an aside, why are you trying to print topics? Personally I’ve never seen much point or else you’d have a printed manual. If indeed all you want IS a printed manual, perhaps you could look at using the Printed Documentation single source layout inside RH. With that you can generate a PDF and link to that from your project. If you really wanted to, you could create a PDF for each section or topic!

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old topic, but I've just run into this with RoboHelp 9. Only one user has reported it so far, which seems odd. We're all running off the same Citrix machine, which means we're all accessing the same physical .chm.

Why would one person have the problem, and not another?

I've asked the user for more info (operating system, version of IE). Is there anything else I should ask about?  She says that she gets the error before she selects a printer, so I don't think it's related to the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info:

The user is running Windows 7, 32-bit.

I asked her to try to print multiple topics for the Microsoft Dynamics GP online help, and she gets a different error; instead of an error, she sees a blank error message dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! Our IT department discovered that it was happening only on one server. They restarted the Citrix Print Manager service and now it is printing correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, problem only half solved

There were two people with two different problems, and I got my people mixed up.

Person #1 - When printing a topic from within the .chm, the printouts were messed up; they ran off the page, ignoring margins. This problem was fixed by restarting the Citrix Print Manager.

Person #2 - When printing multiple topics, gets a script error. She's still able to print, though. This person is using IE 9. I'm using 8 and I'm not having any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I remember that printing multiple topics from a CHM was prone to all sorts of errors that were difficult to tie down. Often they were caused by some local setup on the end user's PC (e.g. the print driver). This scenario seems to complicate things further by using a Citrix server. Quite apart from whether the CHM is supported running from a Citrix machine, the fact that some of you are OK indicates that the problem is not with the CHM or its contents. It must be an issue with the Citrix machine or the user's setup. Other than that, I can't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp