15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 8:25 PM by andykrug

AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem

andykrug

Just spent 3 hours on tech support in India reagrding AVCHD and premier 4.1 - plus about 2 weeks in Panasonic Engineering-

I have a Panasonic HMC 150 and could not play the footage (strobe like plus mosaic- explaining that to a foreign laguage I think went OK- )

The tech support manager has "escalated" this as of Wed Sept 23rd because he has had "100 calls about this recenty". I have sent test footage to Panasonic engineering for confirmation of "clean footage" and that was confimed Monday Sept 21st. I then viewed a training segement on Adobe TV Tuesday by Dave Helmly and he was importing HMC 150 footage onto a OS 10.5.6 --- 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 gig memory- and it was perfect. I am running 3.06 Ghz and 4 gig memory (which Dave stated as not a problem in the training) Hoping to open the conversation to other users to solve this. If anyone can put us in touch with Dave that would be great.

• 1. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
          pebalsamo Level 2

I have not had any stobing problems with mine.  I am on Windows XP Pro 64, 8gb ram, 2.6ghz core 2 quad.

If I am playing the video for a while it may get a little stroby or if I am playing multiple streams, but for ht emost part it is OK.  Scrubbing thorough the video is not nearly as smooth as other formats.  Next computer build will be much heftier and will hopefully handle AVCHD better.  The one thing about AVCHD and Premiere that really makes me crazy is that it does not support Timecode...  Lots of emails back and forth with India trying to get them to figure it out.  ADOBE's tech support REALLY STINKS!!!!!!

Phil

• 2. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
            andykrug Level 1

wow, thanks for contacting me - where are you located - I may need to get a

project off my plate since you can edit AVCHD

Andy Krueger

Mountain Video Productions LLC

Mailing Address: PO Box 515 Telluride CO 81435

Shipping Address: 2905 San Bernardo Dr Telluride CO 81435

Phone and Fax 970-728-7008

www.mountainvideoproductions.com

www.coolsculpt.com

• 3. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
              pebalsamo Level 2

I am in St Louis Mo...

If you want to send me a clip to take a look at I can, just to make sure that there is not something goofy with your camera...

What kind of project is it that you are working on?

Phil

www.videoviews.com

• 4. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                pebalsamo Level 2

Another place to check is over at the HMC forum.  I have not seen any mention of a problem like yours, but that does not mean that someone over there has not seen it...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Phil

• 5. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                  andykrug Level 1

The scoop is my first  step was I went through Panasonic engineering to

confirm the footage was clean- I sent a test chip with the same settings as

the shoot and it was confirmed "clean" . The project is just a wedding

video- but I am not one to fail a job....

Do you shoot with the Panasonic 150 and edit on Premier 4.1????

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com

• 6. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                    dsladek Level 1

If you can post a link to a short clip, I'll have a look at it in PP CS4.

I've just finished another project for a client who gave me 108 .MTS files.

Dennis Sladek

• 7. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Have you tried the standard things to resolve the problem?

1. update your graphics driver
                      2. make sure you have the latest update on Premiere Pro (currently 4.1)
                      3. clean the media cache in Premiere Pro
                      4. trash the preferences folder
                      5. uninstall/reinstall (with running CS4 clean script)

I probably have all of Dave's AVCHD material and I do not have any problems playing it on either Mac or PC.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 8. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                        andykrug Level 1

thanks so much- forging forward

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com

• 9. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                          andykrug Level 1

thanks for this also- I'm on it

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com

• 10. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                            pebalsamo Level 2

andykrug wrote:

Do you shoot with the Panasonic 150 and edit on Premier 4.1????

Yes we shoot with the Panny 150 and edit with Premiere 4.1.

Most of what we shoot is 720p60, but I have shot with most of the other setting too without problem.  Have you tried converting the footage to DVCPROHD with the free utility from Panasonic?  Maybe worth a try to see if you computer is just having a hard time with the AVCHD stuff and then you would know that it is not the actual clip but something with your machine...

Phil

• 11. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                              dsladek Level 1

Have you already tried Steps 1- 5 as Dennis Radeke suggested?

• 12. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                                andykrug Level 1

Have you tried the standard things to resolve the problem?

I am on Mac

I have a Nvidia Ge Force 8800GS. When I could not find a mac driver

version at the Nvidia' site (the archives say  that is only for windows....)

I called Apple Care and we thought it was strange - but the supervisor said

that it automatically updates.(as best as I could understand the

communication.

2. make sure you have the latest update on Premiere Pro (currently 4.1)-- 

got it

3. clean the media cache in Premiere Pro - Ugh don not know how to do that-

did not find that it "help" tab

4. trash the preferences folder -- I think - the adobe help hade me create a

new user and still had the problem

5. uninstall/reinstall (with running CS4 clean script)  - I do not know what

clean script is....

Thanks so much for contacting me

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com

• 13. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                                  andykrug Level 1

Thanks Phil- I sent a test chip with all the formats recorded to Panasonic

Engineering and the said it was "perfect"

Do you edit on Mac???

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com

• 14. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                                    dradeke Adobe Employee

I have a Nvidia Ge Force 8800GS. When I could not find a mac driver

version at the Nvidia' site (the archives say  that is only for windows....)

I called Apple Care and we thought it was strange - but the supervisor said

that it automatically updates.(as best as I could understand the

communication.

- Yes, that's correct.  Sorry, don't always look as to what platform...

2. make sure you have the latest update on Premiere Pro (currently 4.1)-- 

got it

3. clean the media cache in Premiere Pro - Ugh don not know how to do that-

did not find that it "help" tab

Preferences>Media and then there should be a button.  This probably won't fix it, but it can't hurt.

4. trash the preferences folder -- I think - the adobe help hade me create a

new user and still had the problem

Mac: UserDocuments>Adobe>Premiere Pro.. Take the 4.0 folder and drag it to your desktop.  This is the prefs file.  When you launch Premiere Pro, it will create a new version.

5. uninstall/reinstall (with running CS4 clean script)  - I do not know what

clean script is....

CS4 Clean Script

Thanks so much for contacting me

No problem.

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com

• 15. Re: AVCHD Panasonic HMC-150 and Premier 4.1 - Escalated problem
                                      andykrug Level 1

I have a call time 6 am tomorrow- will dive in Sunday- have a great weekend

Andy Krueger

www.coolsculpt.com