18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 5:56 PM by the_wine_snob

PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines

Lukewind Level 2

I posted this question earlier so here is some more info so hopefully someone can tell me what is going wrong.

I am working on a project that is going to be on youtube in HD. I have several AE animations that are rendered as .mov (Apple Pro ResHQ). I have about 30 -40 pieces of narration in .wav format (done in soundbooth). The problem is that when I move from the main sequence timeline to the preview timeline, when I want to cut a piece of audio and insert it, the system hangs for about 4 seconds and then I can continue. I have noticed that it only stalls if I touch the timeline scrubber. i can insert the audio into the timeline, and even move it around, but once I grab the scrubber the thing locks for a few seconds, then if I go up and grab the scrubber on the preview window it does the same thing. The project settings are HDV at 24fps.

This does not happen when I am working on an SD project at all, and my Mac is plenty powerful enough to edit this.

Here is my specs

Mac Pro (Mid 2009)

16GB Ram

640GB Hard Drive (450GB Free)

1TB 7200rpm Hd (599GB Free)

Nvidia Gt 120

Preimere Pro (latest version with update)

• 1. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Had you been on a PC I would have suggested to improve your disk setup, but since all MAC users are always convinced their MAC is fabulous, I hesitate to say that out loud.

• 2. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Lukewind,

I assume that your two HDD's are internals. Is that correct?

How are they allocated? That can have a major effect on performance.

Also, and Harm is just too modest to post this link, he has a great ARTICLE on system setup, especially the HDD's. While some of the other articles linked are PC-specific, the basis of the HDD article is pretty much X-platform.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
              dradeke Adobe Employee

Luke,

There's a couple of things I might ask.

the HDV - is it Adobe HDV or Apple HDV?  Final Cut Pro captures a different kind of HDV and is a different codec.  It's a weird little thing that a lot of people don't know about.  If so, you might want to check out how to make a custom preset in Premiere Pro.  The super short version is go to a 'desktop' mode in the settings and choose the Apple HDV codec.

You say the latest version, but unless someone says CS4, I don't know it.  Can you please confirm that it is CS4?  The reason why this is important is that you state that you have 16GB of RAM which is fabulous.  Unfortunately, unless you're using CS4, Premiere Pro won't see it.

Typical things to try is to clean your database cache (in media prefs) and trash your Premiere Pro prefs (user>documents>Adobe>Premiere Pro>4.0)

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 4. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                Lukewind Level 2

Yes  they are both internal, no raid setup. I have no video materials on the main app drive. All the video and files reside on a 1TB Western Digital Black drive.

• 5. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                  Lukewind Level 2

I have the latest version of PP. Its 4.1.0

I am kinda greem when it comes to codecs and formats. I am all self taught. Do you know any books.

The animation files were rendered using the youtube HD setting in media encoder. H.246 1280x720

The sound fies were captured using Soundbooth.

• 6. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

whoa, settle down now.

• 7. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Lukewind wrote:

If you can help then fine, if not...shut the hell up!

Even on a MAC your disk setup is below par and the cause of your MAC problems.

So improve that or stop complaining!

• 8. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                        Lukewind Level 2

Like I said please don't post if you have nothing constructive to say. Take your bias somewhere else.

• 9. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          the HDV - is it Adobe HDV or Apple HDV?  Final Cut Pro captures a different kind of HDV and is a different codec.  It's a weird little thing that a lot of people don't know about.  If so, you might want to check out how to make a custom preset in Premiere Pro.  The super short version is go to a 'desktop' mode in the settings and choose the Apple HDV codec.

Dennis,

This is good to know, and might prove useful at helping others in the future. As most of the subscribers here are on PC, we often struggle with Mac issues, and usually have zero knowledge of FCP, unless a client uses it.

Your responses are appreciated,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Lukewind wrote:

Like I said please don't post if you have nothing constructive to say. Take your bias somewhere else.

This is not bias, just plain fact. Your disk setup is below par, even on a fabulous MAC that is 100x more stable than anything else.

• 11. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Lukewind,

Do you know any books.

I strongly recommend the Adobe Classroom in a Book for PrPro CS4, Adobe Press. It gives you a vast number of Projects with exercises in editing in PrPro. It's structured to start out with the basics and then works up through the Projects with very useful operations. Unlike some earlier versions of this book, this on is much heavier on the "why," and not just the "how."

Now, some of what you are doing might be out of the mainstream, but you'll get a very good course in the basics, and gain a lot of knowledge on where to look, when your Project takes you off the "beaten path."

The author of that book also drops in here from time to time to dispense knowledge to us all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Yes  they are both internal, no raid setup. I have no video materials on the main app drive. All the video and files reside on a 1TB Western Digital Black drive.

Thanks for the info. While still sub-optimal, your I/O sub-system is better than many. If your case can handle it, another WD Black would be a good purchase. You'd use one of the 1TB's for your media and the other for your Project files and Scratch Disks. The 3x HDD setup takes care of many of the bottlenecks in the I/O. Just that one additional HDD will improve many aspects of your editing experience.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Hey, no problem. We're here to help

• 14. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                    Lukewind Level 2

Would I be making them a raid or just making it so that all the program files are on one and media on another.

I also thought about buying a 10,000rpm drive just to use as a project drive. Would this help as well?

• 15. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If you have a 10.000 RPM drive use that as a boot disk for OS & programs.

Use the 2-nd disk for projects and scratch and the 3-rd one for media. No advantage of raiding the 2-nd and 3-rd one.

• 16. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Lukewind,

I agree with Harm on this. If you do go with a 10000RPM unit, replace your C:\ with that for the most bang. Your existing C:\ is a bit small (320GB?) for a media drive, but if one does not have THAT much material, it should work OK. Personally, I'd do the 10K (doesn't have to be a monster) as the system HDD, add another 1TB WD Black for the Projects and Scratch Disks and keep the old system HDD to store "stock" Assets, SmartSound files, etc.

The only way to do a RAID to benefit you is with a real handful of HDD's and a good controller card. Not sure what the Mac MoBo might offer for native RAID support, but I doubt that it would that much better than what is available for the PC. Now, this is not to say that RAID is bad (except as the system disk in a 0 configuration), but just that to get much of an advantage, you need something along the lines of what Harm outlines in his article.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                          Lukewind Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions. My main drive is 640GB. If I got a 10,000rpm it would only be 300GB. AT least that the biggest one I have seen for sale.

I reset some prefrences and made some adjustments and now the issue seems to not be happening anymore.

Thanks for your help.

• 18. Re: PP Hangs When Moving Between Timelines
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            My main drive is 640GB.

Woops, my bad. For some reason 320GB stuck in my mind, and I knew that the real answer was upthread. Should have gone back and read, then edited. Then, I would amend my comments, as this should be large enough to do you some real good.

Good luck,

Hunt