20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2009 12:56 PM by the_wine_snob

How to contact Technical Support?

Harm Millaard Level 7

When contacting Technical Support and making a case number, it has been my experience in the past 4 months that Adobe is extremely successful in making these cases disappear.

Since early June I have complained about a bug in their program, talked extensively with the 'technicians' and spent hours on the phone, only to be able to get NO REPLY AT ALL. They were very good at making the cases disappear and requiring you to make a new case.

This is a prime example:

26-09-2009 01-17-51.jpg

and the answer you get - at least on the screen - is:

26-09-2009 01-27-43.jpg

24 hours. Forget it. Utter silence. They do not respond.

They ask you to participate in surveys, but can't answer to problems in 4 months.

Shame on you Adobe.

• 1. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Well Harm,

Unfortunately, this is part of the reason why I am here.  Adobe has corporately admitted that our Tech Support has stunk the last several months.

Our VP, Lambert Walsh has said as much here: http://www.adobe.com/support/open_letter_to_adobe_customers/

That being said, admitting it's a problem is the first step to correcting it.  We're doing that.

Until we've transitioned to a new organization, we're working hard to keep things like this from happening.  This isn't a perfect answer, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.  Part of the answer is having people like myself pitch in and monitor the forums, though I doubt there is much I can add that you don't already offer on a daily basis.

If you haven't heard it recently let me say it here - the regulars here on this forum deserve a huge pat on the back as they help the community of Adobe users far more than any tech support organization ever could.  So from me to Harm and everyone else - Thank you.

Best regards,

Dennis

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/

Adobe Beginner Classes on Adobe TV

• 2. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

I've been linking to the Lambert Welch letter on several fora. I hope that the change IS in the air. Going back to the early days of Adobe, I felt that they had one of the best TS/CS departments of any software, or hardware company. I ranked them just behind the old WordPerfect, when they were independent and in Orem, UT, USA. Things changed over time, but fortunately it never affected me, but it did many others, and we see much of it in these fora.

the regulars here on this forum deserve a huge pat on the back as they help the community of Adobe users far more than any tech support organization ever could.

I heartily agree. With the exception of Activation,S/N issues, licensing, some installation problems and the real Bugs, such as Harm mentions, I urge users to take it to the fora, but just provide the necessary info. Few issues go unresolved in these fora. I can definitely see the benefit for Adobe in sponsoring them. Most of the folk in the fora are real-world users and not  low-level techs with a script and little real knowledge of the software, or the hardware that one is likely running.

Keep up the good work - we're all pulling for you!

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
              RDA972 Level 3

Dennis, I trust you're here for the long haul.

• 4. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                far more than any tech support organization ever could.

There's the problem, in my view.  Tech support for software should not be sourced out.  It needs to be done in house by programmers, developers, those who know how the software works because they helped build it, and by people who generally use the software every day for it's intended purpose.

For Premiere, that means professional editors.  People who edit for a living using Premiere Pro.  People whose primary source of income depends on Premiere Pro working properly and who have had the personal experience fixing it when it doesn't.  Tech support for Adobe would simply be their 'day jobs'.

Now THOSE are the people who should be answering questions on a paid tech support line.

And those people MUST live in and speak the native language of whatever country they're answering questions in.  For America, that means ENGLISH!  Indians should only be answering questions originating from India.

• 5. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                  pebalsamo Level 2

I must say that I am completely fed up with Adobe Support...  I have been in contact with them for the past month or more about some issues with AVCHD and like Harm my case just disappeared.  Then I had to start over again.  Now this is through the support portal and the guy from India askes me what is wrong after I have put a detailed explanation in the case file that I submited.  Then in another response he tells me to just select "XYZ" when in my original complaint I had told him that I had already done "XYZ".  I asked him to just try a AVCHD clip in Premiere and tell me if the timecode works or not.  I get back another response telling me to try some other crazy work around that does not work.  I just want a simple answer from someone that understands Premiere.  If I have a photoshop question I want someone that understands photoshop.  Not someone that can barely speak english and has NO CLUE about the program I am asking about.

This is an extremely poor excuse for Cutomer Support....

I agree that the regulars on this Forum are awesome and try to help out when ever they can, BUT they have NO obligation to do so.  Adobe should step up to the plate and take care of their customers and not count on other end users to take up their slack.

A very irratated Adobe customer....

Phil

• 6. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Phil,

I can't do more than apologize on behalf of Adobe and reiterate that we know it's a problem and we've stated that we're working to resolve it.  Companies, like people make mistakes - fessin' up is the first step towards restoring your confidence in us.

Post your problem here and we'll try to help out.  Sound like a plan?

Dennis

• 7. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                      pebalsamo Level 2

dradeke wrote:

Phil,

I can't do more than apologize on behalf of Adobe and reiterate that we know it's a problem and we've stated that we're working to resolve it.  Companies, like people make mistakes - fessin' up is the first step towards restoring your confidence in us.

Post your problem here and we'll try to help out.  Sound like a plan?

Dennis

What do you mean you cant do more than Apologize???  Can't you fix it by your self??

Seriously I am glad to see that Adobe seems to be takign steps to fix this problem and I am very happy to see that.  I just hope that something substantial comes out of it...

My problem is with AVCHD and Timecode.  I cannot get Premiere to see the timecode on my clips.  Every clip starts with a timecode of 00;00;00;00.  As I said above I have been in contact with Adobe support back and forth for a while and they keep giving me silly lilttle steps to take.  All I want is an answer to the question of "Does Premiere CS4 4.1 support timecode of AVCHD?"  No one seems to want to admit that it does not.  I would be happy if I have been doing something wrong, and there is something that I am missing, but after this long of messing with it I do not think that is the case.  It just bugs me because Adobe was touting the support of AVCHD, but I think it should have said sort of support for AVCHD.

Anyway here is the link to my post.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/481942?tstart=0

Thanks

Phil

• 8. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Phil,

The case you make has strong similarities to my problem in terms of processes, not in content. However, I'm glad that the intervention of Todd and Dennis has resulted in prompt action by Chad Baker, to whom I responded:

Hello Chad,

Thanks for the quick response and you make a lot of things clear. First that it has been added to the bugs database and it is looked into. I know that you can't tell when it will be resolved, but it would have been so nice if Customer Service would have reported back somewhat earlier with more tangible information, other than it has been escalated. Knowing that your problem has the attention and can be replicated would have been completely satisfactory for me, since I consider it a minor bug and with an easy workaround. But having had the reply you now gave me could IMO have been given already in June or July. That shows from Adobe's side that they do pay attention to problems, and sure, not everything has top-priority and some things just take time. I completely understand it. What frustrated me is that from my side I tried to give you all the relevant information, the link to the forum post where a lot of other people complained about the same issue, answered all the questions and then see your case disappear several times and finally since the third case on this same issue, you get no reply at all.

Thank you for clearing it up and your very prompt action.

One suggestion if I may. On other forums the Adobe presence is much more noticeable than with Premiere Pro. Maybe Dennis will now make a difference. In the past Will Renczes was a welcome presence with very valuable input. Hopefully Dennis will assume the same role and remove the feeling some of us regulars have that PR is a prodigal son in the Adobe family of products.

Harm

• 9. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                          dradeke Adobe Employee
                          Hopefully Dennis will assume the same role and remove the feeling some of us regulars have that PR is a prodigal son in the Adobe family of products.

To all,

Nothing could be further from the truth...in fact the opposite is entirely true. 

A little more insight into what I am primarily focused on is probably in order.  One of my many functions within Adobe is to focus on large Media and Entertainment accounts - especially broadcast organizations.  We are working very closely with broadcasters to help get Premiere Pro as a standard part of those organizations and it's starting to pay off.

The most recent one is Hearst: Adobe Press Release

This is a premium news organization that has chosed Premiere Pro because they see the value that it brings to their business.  More to come.

Back to the point - Premiere Pro is VERY important to Adobe's best interest and to the interests of our customers.  As long as I'm here, if there is news like this to report, you can bet that I will be posting here, my blog and so on...

Best,

Dennis

• 10. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Dennis,

I do not expect many questions from Hearst here on the forum. What I meant is that seeing Adobe people here participate in solving issues and taking note of what goes on here, will not only help solve these issues, but will also show the commitment to PR by Adobe, something that Will did very good and since you started posting yesterday, you are doing as well. That will bolster confidence in Adobe and PR specially.

Hope to see a lot of you here.  

• 11. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              We are working very closely with broadcasters to help get Premiere Pro as a standard part of those organizations

That's actually good to hear.  Given the inclusion of AVCHD ahead of AVC-I, and the recent focus on cell phone video and YouTube presets, it seemed as if Adobe was ignoring the truly professional side of the market and instead focusing on the non-professional "me too, just because I can afford the software", uneducated, consumer side of the field.

Personally, I'd love to see Premiere Pro become powerful and stable enough to be the exclusinve NLE for use on a hundred-million dollar feature shot on RED.  Forget the "me, too" crowd.  Forget consumer codec support.  Let them use Elements.  Focus on the broadcast/digital cinema market, and make Premiere truly deserve it's Pro moniker.

(For the same price we pay now, of course.)

• 12. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

One of my many functions within Adobe is to focus on large Media and Entertainment accounts - especially broadcast organizations.  We are working very closely with broadcasters to help get Premiere Pro as a standard part of those organizations and it's starting to pay off.

One other area, where I think that Adobe needs to focus, especially with regards to PrPro, Encore and PrElements, is education. We get many requests from educators, who have to administer computer labs. The lack of full network and limited user-accounts, is a problem for them.

Over the decades, Apple has done a good job of getting their hardware and software into the hands of students. It has paid dividends for them. I would urge Adobe to also investigate the academic community for PrPro, Encore and PrE.

I am not in academia, nor do I need to use these NLE products on my LAN. I just see the pleas for help, and can only tell them to contact TS/CS and file the feature requests. I do not know if their issues in the computer labs are ever handled, because not one has ever come back with Adobe's recommendations, though I beg them to do so, to help other professors - nothing from the field, so we do not know what works, or even if it does.

Just a thought,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Given the variety of people working on any given broadcast or theatrical project, one could argue that network support is a must have feature for them alone, without resorting to pleas from the educational field (whose favor I might argue is somewhat less critical than the broadcast and theatrical markets).

In other words, I agree that full networked support is a very good idea, critical to mass acceptance in the broadcast/theatrical markets.  That it also happens to benefit educators is incidental.

• 14. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I cannot argue the need for networked support for the entertainment industry, but I hardly think that the educational field is incidental. I find this especially odd, coming from you, as you often cite the need for a good, formal education, prior to starting to use PrPro.

I also think that you might be unaware of the benefits that Apple has reaped from getting their products into the hands of students. These are the people, who will be using the hardware and software, once they leave those ivy-covered halls. These will be the users in the "entertainment industry." Think about that for a moment. If all they know is FCP, guess which software they will want to use. Remember, these are the folk with the formal education. These are the folk, who will soon be sitting in the charis in the editing suites. These are the folk, who will be replacing the editors in the next generation. There are a lot of them, and does Adobe wish to turn their backs on them? Does Adobe wish to have them all using FCP? Nah, educational use is anything BUT "incidental."

Hunt

• 15. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Knowing some of the folks at a local "all news" station, I can confirm that full network support is critical to their productivity.

What I'm saying is that I consider broadcast/theatrical industry the correct target market for Premiere Pro.  And they need full network support.  Use that as a reason to add it.  If it also happens to benefit the educational field, great.

On a side note, a nearby media school has no issues running Avid as a local install on multiple machines, each machine being used by several students throughout the day, even though Media Composer does have networking capabilities.  So I might argue that networking support for the educational field is less critical than it is for the broadcast/theatrical field.  University IT departments may not want to offer students full admin rights on local machines, but they certainly can make it work.  Whereas segments of the broadcast and theatrical industries simply cannot function without proper network support

• 16. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        What I'm saying is that I consider broadcast/theatrical industry the correct target market for Premiere Pro.  And they need full network support.  Use that as a reason to add it.  If it also happens to benefit the educational field, great.

I am not arguing that the industry is not in need of networking. That was never my intention. I just feel that you are looking at the "smal picture," when you wish to relegate the academic community to being "incidental." Do the math. The numbers will be greater in the academic community. Think of where these broadcast/theatrical users will come from.

Will every student occupy a chair in some editing suite? Of course not. Will every editor, who does, come from an academic program? Of course not. However, many, many will.

Look at the big picture. The students of today will likely occupy many of those chairs.

Hunt

• 17. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          I just feel that you are looking at the "smal picture," when you wish to relegate the academic community to being "incidental."

I would have argued the opposite.  The broadcast/theatrical markets are the "biggest picture" you can get on planet earth at the moment, from a certain viewpoint.  And they need networking support.  Academic communities simply want it.

• 18. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Academic communities simply want it.

However you wish to look at it. If academia cannot make Adobe work, then the graduating editors will not likely have any experience with it, will they? Who could blame them for wanting to use FCP, out in the real world? If they have all been educated with something that works for them, they are most likely to stay with what they know, whether FCP, Avid, or other. If it's not Adobe, for NLE work, then there will need to be a complete re-education process.

Having seen how Apple initiated their educational programs, I can understand why so many graphic artists want to be on a Mac. They know nothing else, so the concept of using a PC is alien to them. Since I work in the graphic arts community, I see it every day, and have done so from the introduction of Photoshop to the PC, version 2.5, IIRC. Most of these folk were educated on Mac's. They know nothing of PC's, except what they read in Mac literature and on Mac sites. Much of that info is wrong and horribly biased, but it stems from others, who also grew up on the Mac. Same thing with using PrPro vs the competition.

In the end, if full network implementation is added, let's just say that there are two segments of society that will likely benefit - the industry and academia.

Hunt

• 19. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                              dradeke Adobe Employee

Hi guys,

Interesting thread.  I will tell you Adobe is focused on ALL markets as any company should.  One of my roles is towards broadcast and my comment was more around the idea that Premiere Pro is important to Adobe and it's being used by some very high-end companies (I could give you a VERY long list).

regarding EDU - we've just hired someone to focus on higher education with Premiere Pro - so we're with you on that.

• 20. Re: How to contact Technical Support?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

Great to know on both points.

Though there have not been any recently, IIRC, there have been many posts along the lines of: "which commercial productions have used PrPro," "why does Hollywood lean towards FCP," etc. ?

There have been some press releases from Adobe, addressing the first question, with lists of commercial productions, in which PrPro was used, though not enough in my limited view.

Thanks for posting,

Hunt