12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2009 11:49 AM by the_wine_snob

PRE 7 won't start

gedash99

OK new problem, and a major one PRE 7 starts choose a new project and name it then the editing screen comes on and I go to open files and PRE 7 just stalls. Get the spinning circle and then the white-fog screen. Tried shutting down the computer, try a restore and walked around desk nothing doing. This bad boy won't go and here comes the scary part when it does run again I want to load 10 video clips and have to wonder if it will happen.

really I would just like it to run

alan, a grafton

• 1. Re: PRE 7 won't start
          gedash99 Level 1

Update!, I just inserted installation disk and did a complete repair and restart of computer, same CHIT.

old

alan, a grafton

• 2. Re: PRE 7 won't start
            gedash99 Level 1

Update no.2 I have uninstalled PRE 7 from computer shut down and restarted and reinstalled, same chit, same goll darn Chit.

what a shame good money down the crapper............

• 3. Re: PRE 7 won't start
              nealeh Level 5

Can you give some detail of your computer - PC or Mac, Processor, Memory, Operating System (and if Windows what Service Pack is installed), free disk space, graphics card  - should do for a start.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Neale points out something interesting. Are you trying to run this software on a Mac? (I'm asking because you mentioned the spinning rainbow wheel, a Mac OS feature.)

Premiere Elements will not run on a Mac.

• 5. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you ARE on a Mac, Adobe offeres a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is a really nice "feature."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                    gedash99 Level 1

Thank you for the response,  PRE 7 is installed, Uninstalled currently, on a Dell Inspiron 1420 with 2GB memory and Windows Vista ( service pack 2 ).

PER 7 has been on about 6 to 8 months and most features worked or I should say where available. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I have been having problems with it running after the program opens and I name a new project.  It gets as far as the main screen where you enter information or go get files from folders on PC. The minute I click on ant feature at this point PRE 7 goes into a the spinning wheel and then to a white fog screen where the only way I can break it is to use task manager. I have let the spinning wheel go for several minutes in the event that it is trying to open or complete some previous action, didn't seem to make a difference. As I said I tried a repair to no avail and then a uninstall leaving PRE s suggestions to leave certain features available. OK , no luck there so I did a total uninstalled removing everything, shut down the computer, took a smoke break, I don't smoke, and restarted and did a fourth install and same thing again. Now I'm piffed and do another total uninstall complete and that's where I am at now waiting for help or suggestions.

I went into "regedit" and looked for traces of PRE and found some and was wondering if I should remove them, however chose not to as I am running Photoshop Elements 7 and didn't know if that would open another can of worms. Thank you in advance for information forth coming.

alan, a grafton

• 7. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for listing that you are on a PC.

Now, when something worked one day, but not the next, then something has changed. You need to figure out what changed.

It's vey common for simple OS updates to break both the audio and video drivers.Dell is good with drivers. Get the most recent for both your audio and video and install them. Next, get the latest version of QuickTime Player from Apple and install that.

Try again.

This ARTICLE might also help you get your computer ready to do editing work, which is about as intensive, as any thing you can do with your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, if PrE still will not start, this ARTICLE might help you gather some clues as to what is going on, when it hangs/crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                          gedash99 Level 1

Thank you for the responses. Here is some more information, a little lengthy, that may or may not have some input. I do have the upgraded version of Quick Time Pro, an earlier post about working with mov files led me to get this program for splicing and light editing. I also have Wondershare Video Converter to convert to a file that PRE 7 can work with. Those Apple products "mov" seem to be a little intimidating to PRE 7. My point to all this is I have been doing a ton of video editing and converting the past few weeks and have had great results along with fantastic video response, color and sound I am a little confused as to how video drivers could affect one program and not others. I will look for latest drivers and try again. The bottom line is I thought I could use PRE 7 to put some polish to the creations I already created.

Stand by, will post a follow up later today or tomorrow:

Alan, a grafton

• 10. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I am a little confused as to how video drivers could affect one program and not others.

Because an NLE program (Non Linear Editor) must interface 100% with your video and audio drivers, they are much more critical, than say a player. They also stress one's system more than about anything else that you could do with your computer.

There is also the consideration of CODEC used. Just because one has a CODEC on their machine, and it's properly installed, does not mean that an NLE can use it for editing. The file might play wonderfully in a player, but not edit, or even Import at all. These are totally different operations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

One thing that I do not see is any detail on what your Assets (your AV files) are. Maybe I missed it, but please give us all the info on these files, and also their history. This ARTICLE will give you some background on AV file "wrappers," and also tell you how to gather the info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PRE 7 won't start
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Also take a look at this THREAD. I posted a bunch of links (one that I think I have already given you above), and also gave a little info on what can cause problems. There is probably something of use in those links and comments.

Good luck,

Hunt