9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 9:37 PM by Carl Spackler

Building a simple checklist

Carl Spackler

I'm new to Flash CS3 and am working in action script 2.0  I've built a beautiful checklist that has a number of items on it.  When you click on an item, that item turns green, then a box drops down to the next item on the checklist.  Using the AS 2.0 stop(); command, I've simply made two frames of each checklist item (one in white font and the other in green font).  Each time you click an item, I've used the behavior "gotoframe and stop" to make the movie play and stop on the last frame.

Here's my problem.  When you get to the end of the checklist, I would like the clicking of the last item to activate the next checklist (which I haven't built yet).  I can't figure out how to do this!  What is the best method to handle this problem?  I've tried a new layer, but when I start the swf, all the layers are visible.  I've tried scenes, but that doesn't work either.  Is it possible to build the next checklist as a separate swf, then call that external swf up when you click the last item on the checklist?  I can't seem to get this last and crucial step to work.

Thanks much.

Carl

• 1. Re: Building a simple checklist
          Lon Winters Level 4

Is this all being done on the main timeline?  If so, you could just continue the same thing you've been doing,  Create new layers for the new checklist, and put the new list on the next frame that you will be going to.  Then place a blank keyframe (F7) after the last active frame(s) that contain the first list.  So on that frame checklist 1 ends and the new one begins.

• 2. Re: Building a simple checklist
            Carl Spackler Level 1

Yes...there is only one timeline so far, because I've only got the one checklist built so far.  I think I understand what you are recommending, so I'm off to give this a try.  The problem is that I'm so darned new at Flash there's just so much I don't know.

Carl

• 3. Re: Building a simple checklist
              Lon Winters Level 4

It sounds like you're picking it up pretty well having gotten to work what you described so far.  You may have already figured this out, but any content on your timeline won't appear until the movie hits the keyframe where your content first appears.  By the same token, when you place a  blank keyframe after content, when the movie hits that frame, the content on that layer will no longer display.  And it doesn't matter how you get to that frame, it could be a seires of button events or just a free running movie.

You should continue using the main timeline for now, but it's ultimately not the best practice and not a precedent to set.  As your projects become more complex, the timeline would grow to hundreds, if not rhousands of frames and more and more layers and get difficult to manage.  So once you get a working grasp on how the timeline works, I'd recommend to start consolidating logical chunks of the project into embedded movie clips.  You'll need a few more lines of code here and there to control it, but it's really not that difficult.

• 4. Re: Building a simple checklist
                Carl Spackler Level 1

Lon,

It worked!  It took me most of the day, but I finally figured out what you were saying and the strategy works perfectly.

Thanks very much!

Carl

• 5. Re: Building a simple checklist
                  Lon Winters Level 4

You're welcome!

• 6. Re: Building a simple checklist
                    Carl Spackler Level 1

Now I've got another request for my simple checklist that is starting to be not so simple:

People now want the ability to skip a checklist item and have the skipped item change to yet another color so that you'll be reminded that the checklist item has been skipped.

Up unitl now, the AS2 code has been simple, (stop commands and behaviors).  But now I'm afraid this is going to involve variables and switch commands.  If so, this is over my head.

Anyone have an idea of the best strategy?  Lon, are you still here?

Carl

• 7. Re: Building a simple checklist
                      kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

(you should start your own thread instead of piggy-backing onto a dead-thread.)

• 8. Re: Building a simple checklist
                        Carl Spackler Level 1

Even if it's the same thread project that I started, and where the previous posts might be helpful?  If that's the rule, then I'll follow it.  Just curious.

Carl

• 9. Re: Building a simple checklist
                          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

not many people answer questions over a prolonged period of time.  i don't know whether lon is still checking this forum and whether he will pick this thread back up but, you can wait and see.  we'll find out.