5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2009 2:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 Smart Options

rlterry

I have 22 hours of vacation video recorded on a Sony 8mm handycam.  I'm going to import into my ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 through the analog inputs (. I really like the Smart Options feature that shows the removal (minimizing) of camera shake and wondered if that is used on just certain sections of the video or globally applied to a whole file (which I was hoping was a viable option).  I realize it probably won't eliminate it, but if it diminishes it in any way while maintaining full-frame imaging and quality, that would be all the better.  That is a feature I'd like to have in editing software because my camera didn't have a stabalizing feature.

Also, what format should I save the video in for archiving?  I may want to refer to the footage later for editing as new tools become available and the prices affordable so I want to have high quality.  I understand mpeg2 is not the preferred choice to do editing in, so how would you recommend I save these files for highest editing compatibility and quality when returning to these in the future?  I'm not sure what options I have to save when capturing with the ATI card and I doubt it has DV-AVI type 2, but maybe I can at least save in a high quality typical format that will allow me to convert to that without losing quality?  I can save at 720x480 at 30fps, just not sure what all the file choices to save in are at the moment.

My system is a P4 3.06GHz Hyperthreading processor, 2GB OCZ high-performance RAM.  I realize this isn't edge of the art but I can afford the extra time for it t chew through its' process if it needs to. It's what I have and will have to do I'm afraid. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice :-)

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Smart Options
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've got kind of a unique challenge in that you're trying to capture video from an analog source (8mm). This can be done -- buy, unfortunately, the All-in-Wonder card is not the way to do it. At least not if you plan to edit the video in Premiere Elements.

The FAQs to the right of this forum discuss DV bridges and make a couple of recommendations (most notably the amazing ADS Pyro AV Link). If you want to capture editable video, this is the product you want to use to capture. Once you've done that, the rest will come easy.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Smart Options
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For future editing, you will want one of these formats/CODEC's:

1.) DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio - large files but very good. Check your card's capture software for it.

2.)AVI [Uncompressed] - note: gigantic files and really nothing to be gained.

3.) AVI Lossless with a CODEC like the free Lagarith - large files but very good. You do have to download and install, then check that your card's capture software can use it.

I do not know your card, but Steve seems to think that it and its software cannot do what you need. I'd explore all of your Capture options carefully. If you do not have the DV-AVI Type II, or the AVI [Uncompressed], chances are great that Lagarith will not work for you. If this is the case, then I'd definitely go with an A-D bridge. Besides the Pyro, look at the Grass Valley/Canopus 110. I really like their 300, but it is not cheap.

For the stabilization function of your Capture software, you might want to explore the Stabilizer Effect in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Smart Options
              rlterry Level 1
              You've got kind of a unique challenge in that you're trying to capture video from an analog source (8mm).

What's really amazing is just because the market has chosen to move to DV, they expect everyone to chuck their analog sources. To add insult to injury, you see new products join in the planned obsolescence by removing the capabilities to work easily with the tens of thousands of hours of analog video people still have and even continue to use. Then the icing on the cake is to call it "consumer-driven". The politics of market fleecing. I see your point that my circumstance is a "unique challenge", but my point is that DV should sit next to analog, which has been prematurely been put to pasture.  I'm not yelling at you Steve (unless of course you had a hand in encouraging the killing of analog friendly options in consumer video software). Actually, Magix MEP 15Plus and Corel VideoStudio® Pro X2 have the ability to capture from analog TV tuners and camcorders in their drop down menus, so I guess there's still some respect for those that have these kind of libraries to transfer.

This can be done -- buy, unfortunately, the All-in-Wonder card is not the way to do it. At least not if you plan to edit the video in Premiere Elements.

Can you explain why? It will save in AVI as well as the usual suspects. It has an anaolg breakout cable with SVHS and composite audio/video inputs. If these new video converter softwares such as Prism (recommended elsewhere under Tips/Tricks) work well, they will take whatever I captured in and convert to DV AVI format won't they? Just wondering what aspect of the All-In Wonder card you feel is insufficient.

The FAQs to the right of this forum discuss DV bridges and make a couple of recommendations (most notably the amazing ADS Pyro AV Link). If you want to capture editable video, this is the product you want to use to capture. Once you've done that, the rest will come easy.

Thanks for the info on the ADS Pyro AV Link. Can you explain why that would be an improvement over capturing on my ATI and using a quality video converter i.e. Prism to get the end file in the format we want? If the virue is about saving time, that is $150 poorly spent. If it's about significantly improving image capturing over the ATI I have, I may consider.

For me, the attractive feature in PE8 is the Smart Options video stability correction, given it provides at least a better video result than not using it at all. I haven't seen a similar feature in competing products and its' ability to do what it says competently is what would lead me to consider PE8. I realize I can try it as a trial, but if someone has that experience it would be nice for myself and others to share how it performs.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Smart Options
                rlterry Level 1

For future editing, you will want one of these formats/CODEC's:
                1.) DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio - large files but very good. Check your card's capture software for it.

2.) AVI [Uncompressed] - note: gigantic files and really nothing to be gained.

3.) AVI Lossless with a CODEC like the free Lagarith - large files but very good. You do have to download and install, then check that your card's capture software can use it.

Thanks for the recommendations. Can I acquire DV-AVI Type II codec as described if I don't have it?  I will also look for Lagarith. If I can still edit in PE8, that would be fine to stay in AVI, as I can still archive in that format until I either convert them safely and accurately into another preferredcodec/format. At least there's maybe hope with what I have :-)

If you do not have the DV-AVI Type II, or the AVI [Uncompressed], chances are great that Lagarith will not work for you.

I'm quite confident AVI is an option. Exactly what "flavour" of AVI I'm not quite sure.  The software and card are currently installed and I'm preparing to reformat and prepare for an editing PC with what I own hopefully.

For the stabilization function of your Capture software, you might want to explore the Stabilizer Effect in PrE.

Yes, PE8 has this and I wondered if anyone could comment on their experience with it. I'll try to D/L the trial myself, but that is so much more involved than getting an idea from those who've experienced it, including Adobe affiliates that I would expect can vouch for what's in the can. Is it a padded feature to make the product stand out or does it genuinely work as described? It's not like we don't know how that goes. Thanks for your suggestions :-)

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Smart Options
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Can I acquire DV-AVI Type II codec as described if I don't have it?  I will also look for Lagarith.

If I read your reply to Steve G. correctly, you indicate that DV-AVI is an option with the ATI. If that is correct, that is what you wish to do. There is no need for any other CODEC. I'd not bother with the Lagarith, unless you later need an intermediate, lossless CODEC for some other purpose.

I'm quite confident AVI is an option. Exactly what "flavour" of AVI I'm not quite sure.  The software and card are currently installed and I'm preparing to reformat and prepare for an editing PC with what I own hopefully.

That was essentially the reference to which I was replying. If you can do DV-AVI (either flavor), that will suit you best. Now, if it turns out to be DV-AVI Type 1, instead of Type 2, there can be some limitations in file size/Duration, and Type 1's can exhibit OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. These are usually constant OOS, and not drifting. They require a tiny bit of work, but I've found that not only are they constant (in the file), they are also constant between files. What this means is that if you do have any OOS issues, you can correct it and just make note of how much adjustment is required. Then, just apply that adjustment for all the rest. I did an article on OOS issues, and if you do encounter any, I'll give you the link. Chances are also good that you will not.

Yes, PE8 has this and I wondered if anyone could comment on their experience with it.

I've not used this one, only some add-on plug-in Effects from 3rd party providers.

As for the use of analog recording devices (from reply to Steve), I still do a great deal of capturing from VHS material. That goes back another generation from your H8. I use a capture card (not totally unlike your ATI, just separate from all video functions), and it does a great job from my VHS/DVD player. Were I buying something today, it would be the Grass Valley/Canopus 300, as I really like its TimeBase corrections. However, it's not an inexpensive solution, and I do aleady have a card installed and functioning properly. With my new workstation, I will probably go with the Canopus 300, if for no other reason than to save a PCIe slot on my MoBo.

As mentioned upthread, I capture to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, and have zero issues. These VHS to digital files edit perfectly in PrPro, or PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as more camera move to flash and similar captures, plus as HD grows in popularity, we'll soon look back and wonder where support for our DV-tape-based recording devices went.