9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 10:31 AM by the_wine_snob

SC4 image downscale quality

Great Dragon

I have a problem with image quality in my final render video file.

Sequence settings are "H.264 -> YouTube SD"

Images have been taken from wikipedia and have bigger resolution then my project.

But in the end i have very aliased images after encoding (see attachment)

Any ideas why?

• 1. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

My tutorial should help:

HD to SD in CS4

-Jeff

• 2. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
            Great Dragon Level 1

So, you want to say that if i have all footage that are identical to my project settings and 1 or 2 images with bigger resolution i need to use "Maximum Render quality"? Or if i just doing scale to 50% my native footage i must do MRQ too just because PP can't do better interpolation then nearest-neighbor or apply bicubic or better resize methods?

BTW, Maximum Render quality turn titles (still or rolling) into crap and overall image looks very oversharped.

• 3. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

if i just doing scale to 50% my native footage i must do MRQ too just because PP can't do better interpolation then nearest-neighbor or apply bicubic or better resize methods?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

if i have all footage that are identical to my project settings and 1 or 2 images with bigger resolution i need to use "Maximum Render quality"?

The better way is to scale the stills in Photoshop prior to importing them in Premiere.  If you can't or won't do that then you should also get good results from right-clicking the images in the sequence and choosing "Scale to Frame Size".

For your title issue, the results are atypical so you'll need to experiment with your sequence and export settings.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm actually not seeing any probolem in the attached image.

• 5. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For suggestions on resizing still images in PS, this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
                    Great Dragon Level 1

The better way is to scale the stills in Photoshop prior to importing them in Premiere.

Don't you think it's a nonsence that programm that cost hundrets of $ can't do such simple task as quality resize? And i need to spend more money for another programm to do that?

If you can't or won't do that then you should also get good results from right-clicking the images in the sequence and choosing "Scale to Frame Size".

I know about this option but it's not a solution if i need to scale down footage (stills or videos) to 50%+ to create for example thumbnails.

For your title issue, the results are atypical so you'll need to experiment with your sequence and export settings

Take a look at this pictures.

1. Standart render. Sequence settings: 720x576@25, progressive scan, 1.0px, 16x9 AR

Resized picture (actualy video) looks aliased. Titles looks fine.

2. MRQ. Sequence settings are thesame as #1

Resized image is not so aliased but edges are oversharped and thiner. Titles has almost lost shadows.

• 7. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Don't you think it's a nonsence that programm that cost hundrets of $ can't do such simple task as quality resize? And i need to spend more money for another programm to do that?

You seem to be missing what PrPro really is. It is an NLE, and is not an image processing program. While it does a great job with still images, it is an NLE to edit Video. That it will resize stills is a plus. That an image editing program, like Photoshop can do a better job resizing still images is not a surprise, at least not to me.

Some complain that Adobe Encore, the authoring program, cannot edit still images, though it does have a SlideShow function. They also argue that it does not edit Video. Well, that is what PrPro is for. One uses the correct tools for the job. While an adjustable spanner (Crescent wrench), might get you by, a full set of sockets is often much better.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am perfectly happy using the correct tools from my toolbox. I do not want PrPro burdened with sub-apps, to do the work that Encore, or PS, or aI can do. That is why they exist.

• 8. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
                        Great Dragon Level 1

It's not about still images but resize overall. If i need to compose my videos with many video previews i need to resize those and PP do it bad, so final video composotion looks not so good as it shout be. It's not an excuse that PP is NLE so it can do good resize and works only with pre-edited footage. If so, why developers gave it such option like scale or transform?

• 9. Re: SC4 image downscale quality
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If one's Project/Sequence Preset matches their source footage, there should be no resizing needed.

Good luck,

Hunt