10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2008 11:18 AM by swaves

Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser

swaves
      Okay spending alot of time learning Dreamweaver. Converting from years of using GoLive.
      My problem is that I have created some Flash buttons and put them in my desired page. But when I test the buttons in the browser......it goes to target, but will not back page. It flickers the wanted beginning page, but then goes back to the targetd one. Only way I can get back is by having a "Home" link on bottom of page.
      How can this be corrected? People visiting the site will want to use the back page........not scroll down to bottom to hit the link where they first started.
      Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
          Level 7
          If you want to use Flash for navigation, consider this -

1. Some people don't have Flash installed - what do they do?
          2. Search engines don't parse Flash links - your site will not be spidered
          3. Screen assistive devices don't parse Flash links - what will those users
          do?
          4. DW cannot maintain links within a Flash movie, so if you move or rename
          a linked file, your navigation will break - what will you do?

It's usually a very bad idea for these reasons...

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"swaves" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g5lvbm$ql5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Okay spending alot of time learning Dreamweaver. Converting from years of
          > using
          > GoLive.
          > My problem is that I have created some Flash buttons and put them in my
          > desired page. But when I test the buttons in the browser......it goes to
          > target, but will not back page. It flickers the wanted beginning page, but
          > then
          > goes back to the targetd one. Only way I can get back is by having a
          > "Home"
          > link on bottom of page.
          > How can this be corrected? People visiting the site will want to use the
          > back
          > page........not scroll down to bottom to hit the link where they first
          > started.
          > Thanks in advance
          >

• 2. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
            swaves Level 1
            I am just using 5 flash buttons on the site page. The flash buttons I can use that come with the DW program work okay, but I cannot add sound. It's the Flash buttons that I created in Flash that give me the problems. I never had this problem with GoLive.
            My next step will be to open/save this file in GoLive and see if it works properly. If this is the case, then I am glad I only got the 30 day trial of DW.
            Thanks
            • 3. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
              Level 7
              Why use Flash if it's known to cause people problems?

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

news:g5nmnr$og2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I am just using 5 flash buttons on the site page. The flash buttons I can
              >use
              > that come with the DW program work okay, but I cannot add sound. It's the
              > Flash
              > buttons that I created in Flash that give me the problems. I never had
              > this
              > problem with GoLive.
              > My next step will be to open/save this file in GoLive and see if it works
              > properly. If this is the case, then I am glad I only got the 30 day trial
              > of DW.
              > Thanks
              >

• 4. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                swaves Level 1
                It's only 5 Flash buttons on the page. I have been using Flash since I started the web site (1997). Never heard of a problem or any negative feedback. Plus if you notice.....there are a few Flash sites out there. Maybe some people don't have Flash installed....like some people still have dial-up. But who is the majority/client?
                I guess the real question would be...Why use Dreamweaver if it causes problems? You can use their built in Flash buttons with no problem........but not ones designed in Flash? This is the problem I am trying to solve.
                I would like answers/solutions. Not.....if you have a problem, don't use it.
                • 5. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                  Level 7
                  does the problem happen in the uploaded page?

I'm not sure what you are describing.
                  Please give a url to the page, say what to click, then what to do next.

Are you talking about the brower's built in back button or something else.

and by the way, flash s*cks.

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                    swaves Level 1
                    Thanks for the help reply.
                    Here is the site I am redoing
                    http://www.swaves.com/
                    Click on the "Concert Dates" Flash button...left side of page.....when it goes to the page then hit the browser back button. It tries to go back, but remains on the targeted page.
                    Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                      swaves Level 1
                      ps - every other page targeted (even if I do a different link type to the problem page) then back browser button works fine. Even ones that are targetd by the DW built in flash buttons.
                      • 8. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                        Level 7

news:g5nt5p$1vp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > ps - every other page targeted (even if I do a different link type to the
                        > problem page) then back browser button works fine. Even ones that are
                        > targetd by the DW built in flash buttons.

I hate to tell you, none of the link buttons work for me in FF3. The pages
                        are there, I can type in the URL, but the buttons do nothing. And in IE 64
                        bit the buttons don't show up at all.

Alan

• 9. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                          swaves Level 1
                          I got this response from a friend

"You're buttons work fine on my browser. The back button get me from CONCERT DATES back to the main page and I can go to the forward button to go back to CONCERT DATES. I'm using Safari on a Mac."

I'm PC....windows Vista..IE7
                          • 10. Re: Flash Buttons/Back paging in browser
                            swaves Level 1
                            Thanks
                            So I guess I am sticking with GoLive for now. There was never a problem with it.....people viewing etc.
                            Maybe this can be figured out before my trial ends.
                            The only Flash button on the left that has a link is the concert dates one.
                            I had a few responses from friends, asking them to check the site. Note previous post. Odd about your IE. 5 people that have IE (32 & 64) have said they see everything, but get the same results when they click the Concert dates button.