9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2009 4:45 PM by asdlfjls

Rendering

asdlfjls

Why does Adobe Premiere Elements have to render everytime you put an effect on it? Other programs that I have tried (such as cyberlink powerdirector 8 and Corel video studio x2 pro) do not have this problem. And why is it so long? It took 10 min to render 4 min of video.

• 1. Re: Rendering
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Why does Adobe Premiere Elements have to render everytime you put an effect on it?

The reason is that you have changed the Video. Now, Rendering is only necessary to get the best possible Preview of the footage. I often work on rather long Projects, never Render, and the playback in the Program Monitor is fine. However, when doing intricate adjustments, I might Render a small section dozens of times to check the Playback at 100 - 200% for critical viewing.

Other programs that I have tried (such as cyberlink powerdirector 8 and Corel video studio x2 pro) do not have this problem.

Many other programs, including PrE 8, allow for "Background Rendering." Some allow you to turn this off, but some force one to live with it. I do not bother with such, as the Render is just for critical Preview, and Background Rendering takes resources - sometimes too many. For performance issues and crashing in earlier Pinnacle NLE's, the first advice to turn Background Rendering OFF. As I said, some NLE's do it, and the user has no control over it.

why is it so long? It took 10 min to render 4 min of video.

This is determined by your source footage, the Effects and Transitions added, and also your system. For faster Render times, one should look into a faster CPU, or CPUs, a fast, efficient I/O sub-system, i.e. many fast, empty HDD's, allocated properly, and finally RAM.

You might benefit from some of the tips in this ARTICLE also.

Good luck, and if you want to explore faster Rendering, please give full info on your system, which Effects/Transitions you're using and also your source footage.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Rendering
            asdlfjls Level 1

Thank you for the response. It was very helpful.

As for my system, I know it is not the best for editing.

I have 2GB RAM, 32 bit Vista, and a single core processor.

Will a better graphics card increase performance? I don't have enough money to buy a new computer right now and I don't think my motherboard will support dual core processing.

• 3. Re: Rendering
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With very minor exceptions, a new GPU will not show any effect in an NLE program.

I'd look at my I/O sub-system - those HDD's. A good starting point is 3x physical internal HDD's. Fast is better, with both the disks and with the controller. You are probably locked into ATA-100, or ATA-300, and SATA II would be out of the question, unless you added a controller card. Right now, I'm seeing WD 1TB ATA-300's going for ~US$89 at Fry's Electronics (Western US retailer). This will speed things up rather well, and even if you upgrade later to a unit with SATA II's, you can still use these as internal media storage drives, so you do not loose anything.

If you have any physical HDD partitioned, do think strongly about eliminating the partitions. They really mess with the OS and performance, especially with an NLE program. Side note: I'd not even think about RAID, except for a media drive array - never for a system drive.

If you can fit more RAM onto your MoBo and your BIOS will support it, I'd go with 4GB of matched RAM. Now, you'll only get to use a bit over 3GB of that 4GB, but it will be helpful, and, IMO, worth the $.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Rendering
                asdlfjls Level 1

That was a lot of technical stuff. I know about my ram and all that. At present while running the program i am only using about 70% of it.

I have a sata connector in my Hard drive if that is what you are talking about? And I don't know much about deleting partitions.

• 5. Re: Rendering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Your SATA controller is about as good as you'll get. Now, the SATA II HDD's will be a bit more expensive, but prices have taken a big tumble recently.

At present, how many physical HDD's do you have on your system? Do you know if any of them are partitioned? This would have been done most likely at setup.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Rendering
                    asdlfjls Level 1

One HDD. I think it has a SATA II connector. 160 Gigabytes (small, I know).

Don't know if it has been partitioned or how to check.

• 7. Re: Rendering
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To check for partitions, just open My Computer and take a look at your HDD's. You'll have C:\, your system drive. What is D:\, your DVD drive?

Most SATA controllers on the MoBo have connections for 4 drives. Depending on whether your DVD drive is also SATA, you should have 2-3 connections left over. I'd start pricing a couple of SATA II drives in the 500GB - 1TB range. Two additional 500's would go a very long way to improving many area of performance. Even one would help, but two would be better.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Rendering
                        asdlfjls Level 1

Ok thanks.

I guess I don't have any partitions. D is my dvd drive and the only other thing drives are a flash drive and a card reader.

• 9. Re: Rendering
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That's good news. Partitions require some additional software, or some work.

Now, look at your C:\, the 160GB unit. In My Computer, if you Rt-click on it, and look down the menu, you'll see Properties, probably near the bottom. If you click on that, you'll get a pie-graph, or similar. Tell us how much free space you have.

Work with a video editor takes a lot of HDD space. It requires far more than one would think, just based on the file sizes, as it creates many temp. files that it works from. Ideally, one needs about 30-40 GB of available, defragmented disk space for an average Project. Much more is always better.

I defragment my HDD's after every editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt