4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2009 6:02 PM by JETalmage

Some colors will not work

keyelement

I have not used Illustrator in quite sometime, but I need to design a simple logo for my company. I am using CS4.

Some colors will simply not register. I am trying to make part of the logo #00FF00, a bright lime green. I can go through all the motions to change the color of the shape, but it will never the color I am attempting to use never shows up in the element I am trying to apply it to. It stays a more muted green. And when I open the color pallet to look at it again, it shows the color I have chosen as it should be, but sometimes it has taken it upon itself to revert to a different color in the pallet. Either way, the color in the element is not 00FF00. In fact, none of the very bright colors will work!

I wish I could explain it better but I am kind of a newbie and don't even know all the jargon.

I know it is not my monitor because I can view 00FF00 in the pallet and in other applications.

HELP!

• 1. Re: Some colors will not work
          Scott Falkner Level 5

It sounds like you are in CMYK mode (Edit > Document Color Mode). Switch to RGB to keep the RGB values you want.

There are many, many horrible design flaws in Illustrator, many of which have been there for over a decade. One is that, while you can always enter colour values as CMYK or RGB, only the current document colour mode is used to record the actual colour value. This means than when you enter an RGB value in a CMYK document, the value is internally converted to the nearest CMYK equivalent. WHen you select the object again and look at its colour, the CMYK value is converted to the nearest RGB equivalent. Since CMYK has a smaller gamut than RGB, there is almost always colour shift. Since there's no warning that this will happen, it is a frequent source of frustration for users unfamiliar with this “feature.”

• 2. Re: Some colors will not work
            keyelement Level 1

Wow, unbelievable. Thanks! The problem is, I thought it was important to work with CMYK for print work...?

• 3. Re: Some colors will not work
              Scott Falkner Level 5

redsoxgirl66 wrote:

Wow, unbelievable. Thanks! The problem is, I thought it was important to work with CMYK for print work...?

Is it. Which means if you are designing for print, not only should the Document Color Mode be CMYK, your colours should be defines using CMYK values.

• 4. Re: Some colors will not work
                JETalmage Level 6

In other words, redsox, there are many colors you can define as RGB hexidecimal that simply cannot be printed with inks. Monitors glow. Inks and paper don't. They merely reflect some of the light that falls on them.

That's why you define colors intended for print as either CMYK or spot color inks.

JET