6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2009 9:25 PM by coreymarques

Premiere Elements 8.0 very unstable for me

coreymarques

Hello,

I've recently purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 (yesterday) and have had quite a few problems with it. I scoured the internet looking for solutions but have come up empty. Here's hoping ya'll can help.

I've was able to do a small project (45 second video) with the demo. When I purchase the full version and start doing more (not much more, just a minute and a half of video) it start giving me problems.

1. I can't do anything once I have over 80 seconds of video in the timeline with out getting the "very low on system memory" message

I've removed all services I don't need

cleared out msconfig of everything

played around with the pagefile size

tried exporting the 80 seconds of video to an avi to remove all the clips

strip down Vista to the point that it looks like xp

removed all media except what I needed for my video from the organizer.

none of these help, I can get the out of memory message every time.

2. While trying to debug this issue, Elements would frequently crash, losing my changing and giving me a "report this error" window.

3. Every once in a while a clip that I'd added to the timeline many times before will give me a message "Unsupported codex" and i have to shut down Elements and restart to get it to add.

4. Every time I right click on the window that contains my media and select "show details" the program just closes.

Machine specs:

I have a Gateway PC (model GM5632E)

Processor Intel core 2 quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

3 gig ram

500 gig hard drive (WD5000AAKS-22TMA0)

NVidia GeForce 8500 GT

Vista Home Premium

32 bit operating system

That's about it I think. If anyone out there has discovered a magic bullet (besides replacing my machine ) let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Corey.

• 1. Re: premiere elements very unstable for me
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer? Video codecs are the chief reasons for instability in the program.

The other is an out of date operating system, driver or Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: premiere elements very unstable for me
            coreymarques Level 1

The video I used came from the Creative Vado HD. I connected the device to my computer (usb), browsed to the video folder and copied it to my machine manually.

Other things I tried (but forgot to mention)

I downloaded Format Factory and converted the video to other formats (AVI, xvid, divx)

I downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack to make sure I had all the codecs I needed.

I didn't check for outdated drivers, I'm doing that now.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll post back with the results of updating my drivers (it's taking a while so that may be it).

• 3. Re: premiere elements very unstable for me
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the Creative site does not go into too much detail on the files created. Per their site, the material is really for display on a TV via HDMI, and no mention is made of editing. I searched for info on this camera for another user, but do not recall any details. You might want to Search this forum for Vado and then filter on People, plugging in the_wine_snob, as I did respond to that thread. Do not recall the resolution to those problems.

I'd strongly suggest using G-Spot to get all details on these files. That utility will give you full CODEC info.

Now, unlike many others, I am not a fan of any CODEC "packs," K-Lite included. I always install just the CODEC's that I need, when I need them. I also want to go to the source for each CODEC, even if I have to pay, and there are free versions out there. Most of those are hacked, or reverse-engineered versions, and some work, but others do not. For just viewing, K-Lite is fine, but if one wishes to edit files, I am just not a fan personally. I've seen too many folk, who had to wipe their entire HDD to rid themselves of some of the detritus that it installs. Oh well, that is just my opinion.

Now, do NOT convert to any form of DivX, or Xvid. These are very highly-compressed delivery formats and are NOT meant for any editing.

Good luck, and please tell us what G-Spot has to say about those files.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: premiere elements very unstable for me
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, Corey, but you got right to the core of the problem in your first post.

Those pocket "webbie" cameras, like the Vado, the Webbie and the Flip, don't produce editable video. They're made to just shoot and load up to YouTube. If  you can edit them at all, it's with the software, if any, that comes with them.

Their codecs are designed for compact storage and are often proprietary.

As with the Flip, the best solutiion is to convert the video from these cams to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 very unstable for me
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

While not a "magic bullet," the tips in this ARTICLE will help you tune up your system for an NLE session. Even on my stout workstation, I do this for each session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: premiere elements very unstable for me
                    coreymarques Level 1

I think I'm set. I just went through a whole session (well, 60 minutes) without getting the "out of memory" error message or a crash.

After all was said and done, looks like it was the files themselves like you said. I was converting them but I was converting them to other formats that had compression. As soon as I converted to DV AVI, the problems seemed to go away.

That forum article with the link to NCH Software did the trick for conversion.

Thanks for your help!